Anyone still using a tube amp?

I am still using my mesa boogie Fillmore 50 watt combo amp for jazz. I still cannot get a good jazz tone out of the axe fx no matter what I do. I got pretty close through headphones, but for an in the room sound it never worked. And I still use my 5150 EVH stealth through a mesa boogie rectifier 2x12 because it sounds so massive.

Do you use the Kantana as power amp or do you still like the sound more than FM3? I am just interested.

Axe FX 3 is my main guitar equipment and usually I use Axe connected to my audio interface which is connected to my Monitors (this is my main system). If I wan't use my Axe with that guitar cab, I have HB GPA-400 power amp for that.

Katana I bought because I sold my Laney L5 Studio Head tube amp (reason was, that Katana have more adjustments and sound possibilities than Laney had). Only thing I need to do if I want Axe FX 3 / HB GPA-400 power amp to connect Laney LT212 cab is connect those speaker cables (now cables from Katana is connected)

Laney had only one speaker cable and Katana have L and R outputs for cabs, so that also was one reason to buy Katana instead keeping Laney L5 Studio

My Equipment connections (My Katana Boss GA-FC EX Foot Controller missing in that picture).

1713633338420.jpeg

Axe FX 3 is my main guitar equipment and usually I use Axe connected to my audio interface which is connected to my Monitors (this is my main system). If I wan't use my Axe with that guitar cab, I have HB GPA-400 power amp for that.

Katana I bought because I sold my Laney L5 Studio Head tube amp (reason was, that Katana have more adjustments and sound possibilities than Laney had). Only thing I need to do if I want Axe FX 3 / HB GPA-400 power amp to connect Laney LT212 cab is connect those speaker cables (now cables from Katana is connected)

Laney had only one speaker cable and Katana have L and R outputs for cabs, so that also was one reason to buy Katana instead keeping Laney L5 Studio

My Equipment connections (My Katana Boss GA-FC EX Foot Controller missing in that picture).

View attachment 139042
Nice diagram - can I ask what sofware u used to draw it (Visio?)

I used to love using big marshall stacks, valve heads, now I have the FM3, I've yet to take it out on a show, but I know Metallica, Def Leppard, Maiden, Aerosmith, etc.. all have ditched their valve heads..

interesting story, the day I got my FM3, I was so overwhelmed, I couldn't find a sound that I liked... after I was blaming the gear saying, "It's too complicated, I'll never get my head around this..." my wife turned to me and said, "well, it's good enough for Metallica..." and with a wry smile she turned around and walked out the room.

since then, I have taken my FM3 out once or twice on a gig, and every time it's just been amazing, even the stock presets are just insanely good.
for sheer ease of use, personally, I'm going to hold onto my valve gear, but I know where I'm headed, FAS all the way.

I used to love using big marshall stacks, valve heads, now I have the FM3, I've yet to take it out on a show, but I know Metallica, Def Leppard, Maiden, Aerosmith, etc.. all have ditched their valve heads..

interesting story, the day I got my FM3, I was so overwhelmed, I couldn't find a sound that I liked... after I was blaming the gear saying, "It's too complicated, I'll never get my head around this..." my wife turned to me and said, "well, it's good enough for Metallica..." and with a wry smile she turned around and walked out the room.

since then, I have taken my FM3 out once or twice on a gig, and every time it's just been amazing, even the stock presets are just insanely good.
for sheer ease of use, personally, I'm going to hold onto my valve gear, but I know where I'm headed, FAS all the way.
im gonna add one more thing to this, I've been anti-modellers since 2002, I've had them all, sold them all within a month, utter garbage, once you get them out into a real gig, it's just a fizzy mess, lost in the mix, no matter how much you dial it in.

Fractal gear is just a completely different league. preaching to the converted here I know. Gapless switching is just the icing on the already delicious cake...

It's always about cake...

Do you use the Kantana as power amp or do you still like the sound more than FM3? I am just interested.
I have the Katana 100W combo and I use it with my modelers (Axe-Fx III, Quad Cortex and Helix.) I find that it sounds better just to use it as a combo but it doesn't even come close to using my modelers with my Quilter Combos. The great thing about the Katana is that it's an all in one and the only thing you need is the footswitch and expressions pedals but the trade off is tone. If I was still playing professionally I'd be using an FM9 into my Quilters.

I am still using my mesa boogie Fillmore 50 watt combo amp for jazz. I still cannot get a good jazz tone out of the axe fx no matter what I do. I got pretty close through headphones, but for an in the room sound it never worked. And I still use my 5150 EVH stealth through a mesa boogie rectifier 2x12 because it sounds so massive.
Whats powering the axefx?

Try axe into stealth effects return into 212 some time as well.

Nice diagram - can I ask what sofware u used to draw it (Visio?)
I used LibreOffice Draw component (LibreOffice is open source office suite and totally free)

That program you can use home, work or where ever.

I had Microsoft Office (2019) and had problems with that license when I changed my computer and
couldn't release that license, so I search option for Microsoft Office and found few different options
and with small consultation I decided to download and install LibreOffice. There is OpenOffice too but
LibreOffice is much better (this is my and many other opinion).

I have used Calc, Writer, and Draw
All my earlier Microsoft Office documents opened, worked, saved etc. very nicely.
Also nice thing that you can save your document as .PDF files too

LibreOffice includes:

Writer (word processor)
Math (formula editor)
Calc (spreadsheet)
Draw (Diagrams)
Impress (Presentations)
Base (Database)

And LibreOffice includes many language options for user interface.
Available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Last edited:
Goodbye tube amp, goodbye Windows, goodbye Microsoft Office ;) Fractal, Ubuntu and Libre Office are great!
One thing I don't want to change is my wife, she is lovely and accepts my guitar hobby :)

This brings memories when I was young and my friend bought cheap acoustic guitar and his wife didn't like it
She smashed guitar.. or better to say dropped from balcony (4th floor), one good thing was that guitar
were not expensive :tearsofjoy:

EDIT: My friend bought one more and paid more, kept guitar in my home :)

Last edited:
I have two. I'd never get rid of them but I haven't turned them on or years. I should just for maintenance. Supped up 1965 (actual) Deluxe Reverb and a Seymour Duncan Convertible with a bunch of preamp modules. That amp sings, but since it's long ago discontinued I stopped taking it out of the studio. That's why I searched for and found Fractal - Ultra in those days.

Whats powering the axefx?

Try axe into stealth effects return into 212 some time as well.
Sweet I’ll give that a try for sure. I was suing fryette lx ii or the axe into a Xitone cab.

I also have tried a fm9 or axe iii into effects loops into my two amps, and the clean tones seem to lose a lot of warmth and bass. So I’m curious to see how it works with the stealth.

Sweet I’ll give that a try for sure. I was suing fryette lx ii or the axe into a Xitone cab.

I also have tried a fm9 or axe iii into effects loops into my two amps, and the clean tones seem to lose a lot of warmth and bass. So I’m curious to see how it works with the stealth.
Running a cab block when you tried the returns or no?

Empty house meant the 1959/5150 612 monstrosity got some play time. Small basement and rattling things meant keeping it tame ish (10 oclock peavey 9 oclock marshall) and playing around with my pedals.

No clue when i will next have the chance haha. Check out “lunchtimetones” on IG for iphone vids if you feel so inclined.

Empty house meant the 1959/5150 612 monstrosity got some play time. Small basement and rattling things meant keeping it tame ish (10 oclock peavey 9 oclock marshall) and playing around with my pedals.

No clue when i will next have the chance haha. Check out “lunchtimetones” on IG for iphone vids if you feel so inclined.
Sounds like you need one of these !

Sounds like you need one of these !
The shop suggested an attenuator, I said im firing it up when no one is home haha. The amp I have coming is ppimv but Im mostly curious how that will work in a band context as I dont run amps if small people are home and awake.

Back
Top Bottom