Anyone hear the Friedman ASM-12 500-Watt ???

APOGEE123

Experienced
I need some cabs for my AxeFX xl and I saw these they look really nice, anyone hear this?? use it? thank you

Thanks dpavel for the reference! :) Yeah I am really enjoying the Friedman, especially after the Quantum firmware update. I have found that a slight cut of the mids and a slight boost of "Depth" gets the Friedman so close to an actual guitar cab. Anyway, I'm noticing a few more folks are picking these up. Another guy on the forum got one and loves it as well.

Ditto to RomanianReaper.. best sounding 'off the shelf FRFR speaker' you'll find. Definitely more 'real' sounding.

Tons of power. I will say though, it's a bit awkward to lift/carry, but the sounds and tone that you get from it are worth the carry - put it that way.

I'm gonna do a video of it soon and put it up.

I have one as well and agree with the above comments. IMO, is the best sounding speaker I have tried up to date with Axe FX. (I owned QSC K-10, Yamaha DXR10, EV-ZLX12, RFC NSX-12, Atomic CLR). It sounds great and looks great, too. Dave really has magic when building cabs (along with amps), I also have a Friedman 4x12 guitar cab and it is superb. Highly recommended.

Glad you guys love it! I always like seeing someone else enjoying gear that I dig but also let's me know I'm not going crazy. It actually sounds that good! :)

I'm using it tomorrow night for the first time with my band, so hopefully I'll get a real in-depth idea of how it translates in a band environment. Can't wait! Got some patches (mainly Friedman stuff of course) that I'll be curious to hear.

I actually plan to do a basic video in the coming weeks just to give people an idea of some basic patches/sounds.

This thread should be locked so that the discussion can maintain continuity in one thread. It's gonna be a PITA if we have to start ping-ponging between threads in a couple of months' time. Especially if people forget which thread they originally posted in.

Other than RomanianReper's initial thread about his review on the ASM, and this one, that's it I think..? But yeah, you're right, it will make it easier.

I'm waiting for 2 Friedman ASM-12's hopefully this week

Let me know how you like them! One sounds incredible and can't imagine having two. I hope to get a second one down the road. Great price and tone. I have found that slightly dipping the mids in the AMP EQ section gets a perfect sound for hard rock and metal but everyone is different.

Cant wait to hear it. I really don't know what to expect cuz I never used FRFR speakers. I'm hoping it sounds huge!!!!

Be sure to give us a comparison update.. I too have an FRFR setup (consisting of the ASM) as well as 120w valve head..

Rock on!!

Will do! It is going to be a few weeks before it arrives. How are you liking yours compared to your tube amp? I've got a Marshall JVM and a Verellen along with various cabs so it should be fun to crank it and compare.

Will do! It is going to be a few weeks before it arrives. How are you liking yours compared to your tube amp? I've got a Marshall JVM and a Verellen along with various cabs so it should be fun to crank it and compare.

Compare away man, it's the best thing you can do.

To answer your question honestly and fairly, I must say, I actually alternate between the ASM (FRFR) and running the Axe-ii in the return of the tube head. The tube head itself is 120w Friedman BE100 clone.. that's a story for another time..!

As far as the ASM goes, it's actually great having a second guitarist in the band who rotates between using his 15w Orange Tiny Terror and his 100w JCM900. When we play our respective rigs, I find that I need to dial OUT a lot of top end and treble and brightness, just so that it can compare a bit more to 'the real deal' as such, and not sound as 'hi-fi'. I say 'real deal' for political correctness; as everyone has their opinion on what 'real deal' is and so on. The Axe is the real deal, but so is a tube amp.. right? There's a couple amps that really just sing out via the ASM, my particular fave is the Dirty Shirley. MAN, she's dirty, and she sings!! Interestingly, the D.S sounds great thru both the ASM (FRFR) and just as good via the return of the 120w amp. It's a pleasant surprise that they both somewhat sound great; again whether it's via FRFR or not!

HOWEVER, what I will be doing moving forward is this.. I will run both the 120w + 2x12 cab, AND, I will also have the ASM next to it, so I really am getting the best of both worlds in a stereo setup. I did that once and was blown away by the sheer fullness of the overall sound and tone. FRFR one side, 'normality' on the other. WOW. Massive. I also have a couple patches for acoustic/piezo tones which sound AMAZE via the ASM. I'll put the patch up pretty soon.

Lastly, that's the absolute advantage some of us have; by having an independent FRFR rig AND a tube amp+cab that we can use with the Axe as well. I remember getting a bit m'eh with FRFR and thought, f_ck it, plug in the amp and play away. And it worked out great - it actually gives your ears a break from each setup. Not sure if that last part makes sense, to me it does, and it works really well.

Back
Top Bottom