Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR - UPDATED 7/27/09

Chad said:
It's cool to hear the update, but I have to be honest in saying that I'm having trouble getting excited about a tube-based product. I've gotten used a SS FRFR setup and don't look forward to changing tubes, biasing, waiting for amp to warm up....dealing with power/standby, waiting for the amp to cool down before moving it, etc. However, as others have said, if the sound is there I'll reconsider.
^^^Here's another great reason to have a passive version...a solid state amp powering them would be a killer solution for the people who don't want tubes!!!

[color=#FF0000 said:
SUBLIMINAL MESSENGER[/color]]Tom...you must make a passive version...Tom...you must make a passive version...Tom...you must make a passive version...Tom...you must make a passive version...Tom...you must make a passive version...Tom...you must make a passive version...Tom...you must make a passive version...Tom...you must make a passive version

Quit it.

Noone was ever promised about the passive version. Even if it was *intended*, or the idea was entertained, Fractal and Atomic have NO obligation to follow through as they see fit on the market, etc. Put it in the 'wish list' and let it go.

I know a few have prefaced by lots of 'kidding' icons, but it was a little rude to put that out there when they have done so much, and we have had so much say in product and firmware developement.

Soapbox:

I see plenty of *complaints* here, which surprise me. This is EXACTLY what has been promised, and it will deliver the sonic goods I have no doubt. Tear out the Atomic logo if you like, trick it out as you see fit... The only minor complaint I have is that I had hoped that it would be in the $699.00 rather than the $799 range, but I have a choice to either buy or not. Buuut...I probably will buy the 2 I have reserved...

The passive version EXISTS from what I see, you just have to get the powered version, and turn off the power section. A passive version is a completely different animal, and engineering will take quite a bit of time. You don't like the pricetag for something you don't use? Then there are PLENTY of great non-powered PA type systems that you can use. Go that route.

Off the soapbox.

I, for one, and very happy that we have a tentative end date for this, and look forward to it.

Ron

Re:

electronpirate said:
Quit it.

Noone was ever promised about the passive version. Even if it was *intended*, or the idea was entertained, Fractal and Atomic have NO obligation to follow through as they see fit on the market, etc. Put it in the 'wish list' and let it go.

I know a few have prefaced by lots of 'kidding' icons, but it was a little rude to put that out there when they have done so much, and we have had so much say in product and firmware developement.

Soapbox:

I see plenty of *complaints* here, which surprise me. This is EXACTLY what has been promised, and it will deliver the sonic goods I have no doubt. Tear out the Atomic logo if you like, trick it out as you see fit... The only minor complaint I have is that I had hoped that it would be in the $699.00 rather than the $799 range, but I have a choice to either buy or not. Buuut...I probably will buy the 2 I have reserved...

The passive version EXISTS from what I see, you just have to get the powered version, and turn off the power section. A passive version is a completely different animal, and engineering will take quite a bit of time. You don't like the pricetag for something you don't use? Then there are PLENTY of great non-powered PA type systems that you can use. Go that route.

Off the soapbox.

I, for one, and very happy that we have a tentative end date for this, and look forward to it.

Ron

If any of that is directed at me (obviously some of it is :roll: )...sheesh man...lighten up...please. :shock:

It's apparently difficult for some to get humor on a forum page...I meant my posts in a very lighthearted goofy way.

I realize this may be a touchy subject for you...and maybe others too...but I'm just trying to show that there is interest in a passive version.

I guess you can't take this to the bank, but as far as what was promised...I'll repeat...a bit more concisely... :lol:

-<MACHINE>- said:
On 6 Oct 08, page 4 of this thread, 2nd post, you said...[quote="Tom King":3linktta]We will be doing a passive version.
[/quote:3linktta]

As far as buying a tubed unit to use passive...LOL that's absurd. (No hostility attached to that or towards you, I just think it's an absurd idea)

electronpirate said:
A passive version is a completely different animal, and engineering will take quite a bit of time.
I doubt that seriously. Tom did not get specific...but in a phone conversation he did say that it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Re: Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR

Tom King said:
[...]

So what does this mean to those waiting for an FR? Well, the production process should take approximately another two weeks at which point the shipping containers will be ready to be loaded. After that, it will be approximately 1 month in transit - assuming there are no delays in customs clearance. This has us shipping to customers sometime after the 1st week of September.

[...]
So December then? :mrgreen:
kidding, of course. :)
Though the late-to-the-party folks will have to wait a bit longer, at least they'll have the benefit of reviews to tide them over.
...which probably won't help make the wait any easier! :D

AND CONGRATS!
I had no idea production of something like this would take this long, but I'm sure you know you're dealing with a very selective audience who will nitpick at all the details.
Thank you for taking the time to get as many of those details right as practically humanly possible!

Re: Re:

-<MACHINE>- said:
If any of that is directed at me (obviously some of it is :roll: )...sheesh man...lighten up...please. :shock:

It was not *directly* at you. But as a request, let's keep the conversation based on the present product.

Not a demand, but can we focus on what is on the table? Start another thread about the passive one that you can link to as another option.

Thanks.

Ron

"Chrome spoiler" eh, Mo?

Guess I'd only be interested if it could double as an adjustable amplifier tiltback mechanism. Hmm...

Just got on the wait list today (what was I thinking waiting so long?!) :roll: Guess I was waiting on actually having mein Axe! I'm about a month away if my POS car doesn't cost me too much in repairs tomorrow. :?

PS: Machine, (I and others I'm sure) see the good fun in your prodding about the passive frfr and perhaps the need for a separate thread...
It's just the Vader (ish?) picture--makes everything seem- so-- serious. :eek: :? ;)

Regarding a separate thread...that would be a good idea. But currently this board is all about the AxeFx.

This thread being the only stray element covering the Atomic kinda limits where to put a spin off thread.

How about a new section with all things Atomic. They've joined forces so it would make sense to put an area where it can be talked about...especially now that they'll be shipping soon.
And not the Amps and Cabs section either. People will still use regular guitar cabs and other monitor solutions...so keeping it separate would also keep it cleaner.

loveshine said:
It's just the Vader (ish?) picture
Are you referring to my avatar? If so...that's a Terminator :D

Why all the excitement?

I'm wondering why everyone is so excited about this product? If this system is meant to be 'neutral' in that it approximates an ideal amplification system which simply multiplies the incoming waveform without distorting it in any way, then aren't there other system out there that also come close to the 'ideal' amplification system - e.g QSC, FBT, as well as others that have been discussed in this forum?

Why are we expecting this one to be the 'holy grail' of amplification systems? Do we expect something 'special' to be accomplished because of its close connection to the Axe-fx?

This is a serious question --- obviously, I am missing something and hopefully I can learn something from the more experienced members of this board.

Thanks ...

quark said:
Why all the excitement?

[...]
The two major things I can think of off the bat would be:
- relatively lighter weight than many (not all) FRFR PA speaker options.
- the cab-like appearance. some guitarists just have a difficult time doing something different, aesthetics included.

Well i like the looks even the cartoonish logo and that it does have tubes, so far i had best results with tubes..
Bit concernd about the weight tough, is size and weight allready known Tom ?

electronpirate said:

On the contrary.
On page 4 Tom said:
We will be doing a passive version. There may be an adapter kit to switch active to passive but not likely the other way around.
So, electronpirate, I think we're entitled to ask about this.

MisterE said:
electronpirate said:

On the contrary.
On page 4 Tom said:
[quote:2aofo8i8]We will be doing a passive version. There may be an adapter kit to switch active to passive but not likely the other way around.
So, electronpirate, I think we're entitled to ask about this.[/quote:2aofo8i8]

I think his intention was a PASSIVE OPTION if you read closely here.

Ask if you like guys. I REQUESTED that you have some respect for the present product and those who want to hear about it, but if you'd like to fill up this thread with how great something ELSE would be, you're entitled.

Easy solution for everyone... Buy the Fratomic FRFR and remove the power section like Tom showed you and then just "Jimmy-Rig" the whole thing and run it powered by your favorite SS power amp! The only thing that can be a bit of a problem is going to be the "Jimmy-Rig" part... but that's a minor detail... Also, what's $300 bucks between friends right?!?!?! Please take into consideration that I have no idea what I'm talking about... :D

mortega76 said:
Easy solution for everyone... Buy the Fratomic FRFR and remove the power section like Tom showed you and then just "Jimmy-Rig" the whole thing and run it powered by your favorite SS power amp! The only thing that can be a bit of a problem is going to be the "Jimmy-Rig" part... but that's a minor detail... Also, what's $300 bucks between friends right?!?!?! Please take into consideration that I have no idea what I'm talking about... :D
"jimmy-rig" = VOIDED warranty :p

Hmmm looks like my Verve 12MA power block would fit in that slot
icon_cooler.gif

electronpirate said:
Ask if you like guys. I REQUESTED that you have some respect for the present product and those who want to hear about it, but if you'd like to fill up this thread with how great something ELSE would be, you're entitled.
C'mon...this thread (@ 60 pages now) has gone to Neverland (Sorry MJ) and back. What's the point in trying to keep it squeaky clean/on topic now? See below...

What about the All About the Atomic section idea???

FYI, I never said there wouldn't be a passive version!

At the moment, we are very focused on getting the Reactor FR to market. Once that has occurred we'll evaluate the whens, ifs and hows of a passive version. Begging and goading will not help the passives cause so please refrain if possible. It is very clear that some people would appreciate this option but as I originally said (which seemed to spark this whole thing is) 1st things 1st. I don't think that is an unreasonable position.

-TK

quark said:
Why all the excitement?

I'm wondering why everyone is so excited about this product? If this system is meant to be 'neutral' in that it approximates an ideal amplification system which simply multiplies the incoming waveform without distorting it in any way, then aren't there other system out there that also come close to the 'ideal' amplification system - e.g QSC, FBT, as well as others that have been discussed in this forum?

Why are we expecting this one to be the 'holy grail' of amplification systems? Do we expect something 'special' to be accomplished because of its close connection to the Axe-fx?

This is a serious question --- obviously, I am missing something and hopefully I can learn something from the more experienced members of this board.

Thanks ...

Hmm... let's see... maybe because this whole thing was designed and hand tweaked
with one goal in mind... to make your AXE-FX sound good.

Forget "neutral" ... there is no such thing, it's just an ideal.

:roll:

Back
Top Bottom