Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR - UPDATED 7/27/09

Re: Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR

Hi everybody. Newbie here.

I've been reading the lot on this Atomic FR amp. It's quite a bit to digest. Since different kinds of modelling came around I've been wondering why it should be that hard to produce a cabinet, that will serve EQUALLY as good as a guitar cabinet, as a bass guitar cabinet, and as an acoustic guitar cab. And let - whatever - modelling gear, or else, put in front of it do the rest of the job. I think only the RSM nick posted a post about this, way back at page 25 without ever getting a reply.

See, it's the same with Axe-Fx ultra, or similar. They don't cater at all to us, that plays a multitude of instruments. I gig BOTH as a freelance bass player, as a guitarist, and does acoustic shows. Not all at the same time though. I would be thankful if I could bring just the same rig with me out once and for all, and that I could carry with me, by myself, without having to visit my chiropractor afterwards. A sort of one-size-fits all cabinet. A 12" speaker will do for my bass gigs, since they ain't big. I play keyboard too, but not gigging with it. A perfect "bring whatever" to any impromptu jam sessions and so on. No reviews anywhere on the net is done by ANY bassists AFAIK.

Find this peculiar, that Fractal Audio/Atomic, hasn't adressed this yet. Also, I agree with former poster who has objections to a power tube amp inside Atomic cabinets. While I do see it's advantages, I think power tubes, are mostly advantegous to electric guitarists, but to bass players, and electro-acoustic players they may impose some kind of unneccesary/unwanted coloration. Although I know that 50w may no be sufficient to produce any power good enough for bass players I would rather see a SS/Switching circuit power amp used inside the cabinets. You could raise the power output as well then well beyond 50w. Not to talk of the lightweight at which ss power amp comes.

It tells - at least to me - that something is missing if the Axe-Fx if you run that one together with a Atomic FR cab, that the Axe-FX is supposed to eliminate ALL tubes in the chain and does a very close impersonation of it, you still have to use tubes in the cabs power amp. I know that the cabs should/could be used with every other modeller, preamp, or stomp box gear, and I think the power tube amp would make sense then to deal with the other brands shortcomings, but I think there should be yet another product/option to us "multifaceted" players out there. So my question is:

1. Does the atomic amp/cab FR work JUST AS WELL for guitarists and bassists?

Mind you, I said "just as well" , and not "can get away with it".

Also, added on top of this, as most modellers and rack fx put out separate L&R channels I wonder how a 1x12 cabinet will work on these. It's almost evident, as most people suggested here that two of them are needed anyway. The L&R return at the back will merge the two signals, givin a mono output, maybe killing many a good reverb/tap delay/ and especially chorus sounds, that are made with L&R phase shifts to produce a stereo effect.

Maybe the 2x12 cabinets are true stereo, one 12 for each channels? Just like the old Roland Chorus Jazz amps.

Honch said:
Also, added on top of this, as most modellers and rack fx put out separate L&R channels I wonder how a 1x12 cabinet will work on these. It's almost evident, as most people suggested here that two of them are needed anyway. The L&R return at the back will merge the two signals, givin a mono output, maybe killing many a good reverb/tap delay/ and especially chorus sounds, that are made with L&R phase shifts to produce a stereo effect.

Maybe the 2x12 cabinets are true stereo, one 12 for each channels? Just like the old Roland Chorus Jazz amps.

not sure what you mean here? The Fractomic solution is mono, 1x12 with a tweeter (supposedly "tuned") for use with the AxeFX. So, you'll need two of these to get your stereo rig going. AFAIK, there is no current 2x12 solution (yet) and if there was one you would need a stereo power amp AND the speakers/horns would probably be too close together to get good stereo seperation anyway.
I can't talk to your questions about bass and acoustic usage with the AxeFX. I know many people here are using the AxeFX for all of their gigging needs. They are also using a complete FRFR solution using power monitors like the QSC HPR122i or the Verve 12ma. If I were you and needed monitoring for bass gigs as well I would definitely go for something like the QSC or Verve solution and make sure it has the required wattage to handle any bass needs. People have had great success with these using them for guitar, and I believe Scott Peterson has been doing acoustic stuff with his rig as well.
In your situation it sounds like the Fractomic FRFR might not be the best fit.

Gasp100 said:
not sure what you mean here? The Fractomic solution is mono, 1x12 with a tweeter (supposedly "tuned") for use with the AxeFX. So, you'll need two of these to get your stereo rig going. AFAIK, there is no current 2x12 solution (yet) and if there was one you would need a stereo power amp AND the speakers/horns would probably be too close together to get good stereo seperation anyway.
I can't talk to your questions about bass and acoustic usage with the AxeFX. I know many people here are using the AxeFX for all of their gigging needs. They are also using a complete FRFR solution using power monitors like the QSC HPR122i or the Verve 12ma. If I were you and needed monitoring for bass gigs as well I would definitely go for something like the QSC or Verve solution and make sure it has the required wattage to handle any bass needs. People have had great success with these using them for guitar, and I believe Scott Peterson has been doing acoustic stuff with his rig as well.
In your situation it sounds like the Fractomic FRFR might not be the best fit.

Thank you for fast answer.

Yes, but say I buy two of them to my Line6 POD or VOX ToneLab with appropriate docks. Then I need some OUT section from that first amp (whichever I use as a first, where my modeller resides) to go to the other one. A "Left OUT" or right out, besides the regular L&R inputs. Most of the modellers or racks have featured stereo effects (ping pong delays etc) and are supposed to run through a PA or studio. And reverbs works more efficient run in stereo. Granted, the separation doesn't seem to be that high when putting speakers that close together - but at least in Rolands Jazz Chorus case it worked - however you will not have these phase cancelling out effects that occurs when merging stereo channels in mono. I do not know if there's any cab made just for stereo purposes, i e without the dock things, running it only as a "stereo second" or whatever you may call it.

Also, I find this solution - even the existing ones - quite peculiar since most artists, such as Steve Morse, Eric Johnsson, et al separates the delays and reverb into other amps (even direct on PA) , and does not let any tubes, regardless of preamp or power amp tubes clutter that signal. They want to have delays and reverbs going into as clean amps as possible or to the PA directly. Not even power amp tubes. In a real situation, the hall, arenas, delays and natural reverb isn't colored by any tubes, it just takes the - whatever - sound and reverberates it without any further tube mojo. That's always sounded best to me IMHO. And come to think of it, a regular PA, or Studio monitors are best suited for that, or the other ones that you mentioned, the FBT's, QSC's monitors. Me myself never really liked the FX send and return at all in any tube amp, for delays and reverbs. But that's just a personal taste moreso, however. Each to their own.

As for the multipurpose use, I agree, that this may or may not be what I am looking for at the moment. I just wondered if there's any bassists out there having this rig (together with Axe-FX no doubt) working just as good for guitar as for bass/acoustic. This particular rig aint out yet, I know! But if the people creating this new Atomic could shed some light to this. I've tried to search this forum about it but couldn't find anything. And for the WISH LIST thread that are around here, was more about what should be included in the Axe-FX Ultra, next version. And I know, that when playing bass, that "stereo" thing becomes less important.

ATOMIC REACTOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I summon you!!!!

:twisted:

I needed to do this...

Will Fratal release a passive version of the Fractomic?
I just commited to a stereo tube poweramp (4 - 6L6's) and two oversized Avatar 1x12's. The reason being is that I want to hear this type of rig (in stereo :) and the Avatar's will be used for an additional all tube amp head as well.
Anyone know?

Tom King said:
The bottom line is that factoring in approving the final sample, some minor tooling, production, testing, shipping and final QC before shipping to customers, we're looking at an early to mid July date.

Need I say more?

Mind that this is a request for information, not a demand!

So is the ARFR going to sound more like a power amp + cab ("amp in room"), or more like a (better) FRFR monitor inside a cabinet?

I think it's going to sound like a amp-powered FRFR monitor cab in the room.

I just hope it actually materializes before we all need hearing aids to hear anything at all!

xrist04 said:
Oh, of course.... :oops:. Well I guess we'll all have to see how we personally enjoy it, and at least there's that 15 day (or however long it is) return policy :).

hp/mp said:
xrist04 said:
Oh, of course.... :oops:. Well I guess we'll all have to see how we personally enjoy it, and at least there's that 15 day (or however long it is) return policy :).

Sure about that? I have not heard of any 15 day return policy on these like there was/is on the AxeFX.

I haven't even thought about this for awhile but I had a dream last night that I had an Atomic Reactor and it was awesome.

Maybe it's a sign. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gasp100 said:
Sure about that? I have not heard of any 15 day return policy on these like there was/is on the AxeFX.

I've only read the first 15 or so pages, but on page 13 from Oct. 2008 there's this quote:

Tom King said:
jmpatrick said:
(maybe someone has asked this)

Will there be a 14-day trial period like we had with the AxeFX?

jp
Atomic has always offered a 15-day satisfaction guarantee for its products. That will not change with this model.

Dunno if it's still true...?

I don't know about the States but I hear from G66 that these should start shipping at the end of August/beginning of Sept.

Hang in there guys, production is now officially in progress! I will provide a more detailed update with timeline by the end of the weekend.

-TK

Back
Top Bottom