Andy Timmonsish patch?

Velokki

Inspired
Hi there!

Jack Gardiner did this video of the new Neural Mesa Suite, and I absolutely adore the tone that get got, close to Andy Timmons's tone:

I know the Axe 3 can do it, but I suck at creating patches. How would you craft such a patch? I tried a couple of times but my patches just sound kind of dull and not as airy as Jack's tone.

Any help would be great!

There’s an Andy Timmons preset in @austinbuddy Live Gold that I’ve been meaning to try out. I’ll spend some time on it this week and let you know how it sounds. I’m sure there are others here that already have an opinion of that preset and could chime in. I think @yek also posted a preset recently based on his clean sound.

timmons.png

Here's my take.
The Halo simulation is this part
halo_sim.png

I have a modifier attached to the Level of those two blocks to control the amount of delay (the same way Andy does with an expression pedal - as seen in the pedal show) - So if you are not getting any delays, check here and assign a proper source (I currently use External 2).

You could decide to just use the aurora delay in the MTD block instead (that puts you int he ballpark but it's doesn't quite sound like the Halo 1A Preset)

• Amp: Mesa Lonestar (Texas Star Clean)
    • I changed The power tubes to EL34's as Andy mentions in some videos.
    • Since he uses 2x12 Recto cabinets, I changed the Impedance curve to 2x12 Recto.
    • I just visually copied the settings from the picture I shared above.
  • Cab: Andy mentions he uses 2x12 Recto cabinets with V30s
    • So I use the Mesa 2x12 V30 IRs from YorkAudio (they are only a dollar!) - https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-212-v30-limited
    • I used this folder: ".../YA MES 212 V30 - Limited/48k (Fractal, Line 6, Suhr, etc.)/Natural Phase Singles"
    • I set up some alternatives in Channel C and D using built in IRs
  • Compressor
    • I don't really know what's the best match to the Carl Martin compressor so I just used Pedal Compressor 2 with very little compression and a 12dB boost - these are just arbitrary as I have no reference to go from here.
Scene 1: Clean, only compressor boost
Scene 2: RC Booster (Esoteric RCB) into compressor as shown in the pedal show
Scene 3: Using the Tube Drive 3-knob as an alternative to the Keely modified Blues Driver BD-2, compressor is off - again matching what I saw in the pedal show.
Scene 4: BB Preamp (BB Pre At) into compressor - Just tried matching the knobs visually to what I saw in the pedal show - sounded in the ballpark to me
Scene 5: Using the Box o' Crunch as a an alternative for the @JHS pedal - just tweaked to something useful with my bridge pickup - adjust to taste.

Attachments

• Andy Timmons.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
View attachment 117638

Here's my take.
The Halo simulation is this part
View attachment 117639

I have a modifier attached to the Level of those two blocks to control the amount of delay (the same way Andy does with an expression pedal - as seen in the pedal show) - So if you are not getting any delays, check here and assign a proper source (I currently use External 2).

You could decide to just use the aurora delay in the MTD block instead (that puts you int he ballpark but it's doesn't quite sound like the Halo 1A Preset)

• Amp: Mesa Lonestar (Texas Star Clean)
    • I changed The power tubes to EL34's as Andy mentions in some videos.
    • Since he uses 2x12 Recto cabinets, I changed the Impedance curve to 2x12 Recto.
    • I just visually copied the settings from the picture I shared above.
  • Cab: Andy mentions he uses 2x12 Recto cabinets with V30s
    • So I use the Mesa 2x12 V30 IRs from YorkAudio (they are only a dollar!) - https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-212-v30-limited
    • I used this folder: ".../YA MES 212 V30 - Limited/48k (Fractal, Line 6, Suhr, etc.)/Natural Phase Singles"
    • I set up some alternatives in Channel C and D using built in IRs
  • Compressor
    • I don't really know what's the best match to the Carl Martin compressor so I just used Pedal Compressor 2 with very little compression and a 12dB boost - these are just arbitrary as I have no reference to go from here.
Scene 1: Clean, only compressor boost
Scene 2: RC Booster (Esoteric RCB) into compressor as shown in the pedal show
Scene 3: Using the Tube Drive 3-knob as an alternative to the Keely modified Blues Driver BD-2, compressor is off - again matching what I saw in the pedal show.
Scene 4: BB Preamp (BB Pre At) into compressor - Just tried matching the knobs visually to what I saw in the pedal show - sounded in the ballpark to me
Scene 5: Using the Box o' Crunch as a an alternative for the @JHS pedal - just tweaked to something useful with my bridge pickup - adjust to taste.

This is what scene 4 sound like in my strat like guitar, neck pickup:

Nice, will check it out when I can, thank you.

How would you describe the difference between this and the built in Aurora multitap mode?

I've been playing with this preset for a bit. I listened to a ton of Andy to try and get this to a place I was happy with. I think the cleanish/dirtyish tones are sounding pretty damn good, though I could use some more help getting the lead stuff sounding closer. I know it has a lot to do with the guitar, the pickups, and Andy's legendary skill, but you know, we do what we can.

Scene 1: RC Booster
Scene 2: Light Dirt + Comp
Scene 3: RC + Light Dirt + Comp
Scene 4: Light Dirt + Comp + Chorus
Scene 5: Clean Chorus
Scene 6: BB Pre AT
Scene 7: TS + Lead Channel

For reference: I put these together using a Custom Shop Strat with SSS vintage-type pickups.

Attachments

• Tandy Immons.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I tried but with a telecaster and a Bassguy lol.

Too much treble and and a little too much gain but it’s mainly played on a tele neck and not a humbucker in single size so it’s more like « what if Andy played this song on a telecaster » take.

But I’m sure I could get really close with that setup.
The tone magic of Andy’s is his playing and feel.

Main post with guitar details and the preset here

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/little-bit-of-andy-timmons-except….192143/

I tried but with a telecaster and a Bassguy lol.

Too much treble and and a little too much gain but it’s mainly played on a tele neck and not a humbucker in single size so it’s more like « what if Andy played this song on a telecaster » take.

But I’m sure I could get really close with that setup.
The tone magic of Andy’s is his playing and feel.

Main post with guitar details and the preset here

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/little-bit-of-andy-timmons-except….192143/

That was really, really good.

I've been playing with this preset for a bit. I listened to a ton of Andy to try and get this to a place I was happy with. I think the cleanish/dirtyish tones are sounding pretty damn good, though I could use some more help getting the lead stuff sounding closer. I know it has a lot to do with the guitar, the pickups, and Andy's legendary skill, but you know, we do what we can.

Scene 1: RC Booster
Scene 2: Light Dirt + Comp
Scene 3: RC + Light Dirt + Comp
Scene 4: Light Dirt + Comp + Chorus
Scene 5: Clean Chorus
Scene 6: BB Pre AT
Scene 7: TS + Lead Channel

For reference: I put these together using a Custom Shop Strat with SSS vintage-type pickups.
Lots of enjoyable tones in your preset! Im loving it.

Lee

I've been having a ton of fun with your patch. Funny thing, the first thing I did is I added a bit more gain to the Blues Driver :joycat:

Thanks a lot again!!

Thank's AlbertA!

Sounds great.
I´ll try these two presets tomorrow.

By the way I have Ibanez AT100 CLSB and of course I use that tomorrow :D

Attachments

• AT100CL3.jpg
    AT100CL3.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 7
  • AT100_1920_1080.jpg
    AT100_1920_1080.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 7