Amp Channel switching via MIDI with MFC/Axe Fx and Blackstar series 1

racetra

Inspired
I have been looking but havent found what I am lookin for. I want to be able to change the channels on my blackstar when I change patches on the MFC. I am running the 4CM and want to have 4 similar Patches with different amp channels. I am not sure where to go in the MFC. The manual for the amp says"The controller should be set to transmit program change messages. New it is set to OMNI mode and responds to program change messages on all MIDI channels" I dont know much about MIDI so thats all greek to me.

I am guessing I will just hook a MIDI cable from the Out/Thru on the Axe to the in on the amp. then I would go into the MFC and set something to deal with the program change.

Any help would be great.

Kris K, ya out there?

OK - I'll have a go. Someone can shoot me down if I'm wrong - I can take it :)

I'm assuming you want to keep the AxeFX mode ON in the MFC and are using MIDI Channel 1 to communicate with the AxeFX

1. Edit your Blackstar's MIDI config and set it to receive on MIDI channel 2 instead of OMNI (pg 13/14 in it's manual I think)

2. Have a look in the MFC manual on pg 44 Section 12.1.2 - this tells you how to set up the Preset Program Change per preset

So on your MFC hit Edit to go into Edit mode - then hit 'Preset' (switch 1) and make sure you select the preset you want to edit first (Up/Down) switches

Then hit page right twice to get to the Preset Program Change menu

In the Ch parameter - hit 'Up' switch to select 'Ch 02' (MIDI Channel 2) then 'Parameter right' to select the PC value parameter - use the UP switch to select the desired 001, 002, 003 or 004 channel of the Blackstar. Then either hit exit/save switch or use Page left to go back and select the next preset you want to edit and repeat the edit for it's 'Ch 02' and save/exit when finished.

On the AxeFX ensure the Midi thru is turned on in the I/O menu (MIDI page) - then connect up the 3 devices MFC < -- cable of your choice (MIDI/Cat5/FASlink) -->AxeFX < - MIDI thru -> Blackstar MIDI IN

Fire them up and see if you get the desired Channel switching on the Blackstar per preset on the MFC.

I'll be trying this out on my HK Grandmeister someday (though I feel perhaps a FX8 might fit it nicely :) )

OK - I'll have a go. Someone can shoot me down if I'm wrong - I can take it :)

I'm assuming you want to keep the AxeFX mode ON in the MFC and are using MIDI Channel 1 to communicate with the AxeFX

1. Edit your Blackstar's MIDI config and set it to receive on MIDI channel 2 instead of OMNI (pg 13/14 in it's manual I think)

2. Have a look in the MFC manual on pg 44 Section 12.1.2 - this tells you how to set up the Preset Program Change per preset

So on your MFC hit Edit to go into Edit mode - then hit 'Preset' (switch 1) and make sure you select the preset you want to edit first (Up/Down) switches

Then hit page right twice to get to the Preset Program Change menu

In the Ch parameter - hit 'Up' switch to select 'Ch 02' (MIDI Channel 2) then 'Parameter right' to select the PC value parameter - use the UP switch to select the desired 001, 002, 003 or 004 channel of the Blackstar. Then either hit exit/save switch or use Page left to go back and select the next preset you want to edit and repeat the edit for it's 'Ch 02' and save/exit when finished.

On the AxeFX ensure the Midi thru is turned on in the I/O menu (MIDI page) - then connect up the 3 devices MFC < -- cable of your choice (MIDI/Cat5/FASlink) -->AxeFX < - MIDI thru -> Blackstar MIDI IN

Fire them up and see if you get the desired Channel switching on the Blackstar per preset on the MFC.

I'll be trying this out on my HK Grandmeister someday (though I feel perhaps a FX8 might fit it nicely :) )

Thanks Max, I was hoping the other MIDI cable would get here today. I will Try this.
On the Axe, the first 4 patches are the same with the exception of some eq that goes through the backend of the amp. My buddy has an FX8 and loves it. I cant see spending that much. I got sick and wont be playing live anymore for the most part so I just tinker at home. Keeps my mind off things. An FX8 would be nice though. Even a G-System would be cool. For now, I wanna figure this out.

One Question, why do I need to change from OMNI? When I change patches from the MFC, as long as the MFC is sending what program change I need for each patch, shouldnt it work.? Just wondering

One Question, why do I need to change from OMNI? When I change patches from the MFC, as long as the MFC is sending what program change I need for each patch, shouldnt it work.? Just wondering

Well, if you don't, your amp will receive duplicate Program change messages, including those intended for the AFX.

If you only have the MFC, Axe, and the Blackstar, there will only be one set of program change messages from the MFC - those telling the Axe to change patches.

I thought the general approach with these midi capable, but otherwise dumb amp heads was just to piggy-back off those same messages. You make the program change on the MFC, the axe changes preset, and then you push the appropriate channel button on the amp to fix the channel for that midi program number. Next time you choose that program number on the MFC, the amp will change channel.

You shouldn't need to change out of Omni mode on the amp.

Admittedly, I've never tried this on my S1-200, but it's always been my understanding.

EDIT: having checked the amp manual, yes, there is a factory default mapping that has amp channels assigned in groups of 4 midi program numbers in sequence, but you can change the mapping as I described, after first sending the program change to the amp.

It's meant to be simple, for, umm, guitarists !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I didn't spend much time looking at the Blackstar manual (I don't actually own one) but editing on the MFC seems a simpler/more accessible method to me - only one of 4 choices of PC send to select on MIDI CH 2 and all 'mapping' is controlled from the one source (MFC) for both AxeFX and Blackstar.

The access to the MIDI config on the Blackstar didn't look that simple .... so gaining access to that once to change to a dedicated MIDI channel and then forget about it would be the way I'd personally approach it.

It's horses for courses, really, both methods are going to work just fine !

FWIW, changing the Midi channel from omni on the Blackstar Series One amps is much more convoluted than the process for changing the amp channel mapping in response to a program change.

Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

switching the Blackstar is simple. I am hoping the 5 pin cable will show up today. If not....monday....booo.

Would this be right, MFC/Edit/click to IA section
IA01
p to ON
PC# to 001 (This is the amp clean ch)
CH to 2 (this is what I changed the amp to)

This should do it. Very simple if it does.

switching the Blackstar is simple. I am hoping the 5 pin cable will show up today. If not....monday....booo.

Would this be right, MFC/Edit/click to IA section
IA01
p to ON
PC# to 001 (This is the amp clean ch)
CH to 2 (this is what I changed the amp to)

This should do it. Very simple if it does.
On MFC

Enter Edit mode by pressing the 'Edit' switch second from top on the right side of MFC (switches 1-5 will flash green etc)

Then press the first switch (#1 ) on the MFC (marked 'Preset' above the switch - any switches with white words above them are the edit mode hints)

You will then be in the Preset editing section of the MFC - the MFC window will have 'Preset 001' showing - meaning you are about to edit that Preset's settings - if you want to edit a different preset then use the Up or Down switches to get the preset you want to edit.

Once the correct preset number is showing you then hit the 'Page right' (switch number 7) twice to get to the Preset Program Change menu section - you will see 'Ch 01 ProgChg 000' in the MFC display and there will be a cursor mark under the 1 like '01' you will need to hit the 'Up' switch to change this to 02 - this means you are telling the MFC what to do on MIDI channel 2 when Preset 001 is selected.

You then hit the 'Parameter right' switch (MFC switch 12) once to move the cursor over to the PC number and then use the UP switch to get to the PC number of the Blackstar channel you want to have (001 for clean, 002 for whatever etc)

Once thats done - hit Page left (IA number 6) twice to go back to the preset number screen and use UP to select the next preset number you want to edit - and repeat the rest of the steps above to edit it.

Be sure to always select 'Ch 02' in the Preset Program Change window for each preset you edit!

Do this for all your presets that you need to do - and at the end click the Edit switch to save all your work and exit the Edit mode.

Sorry if I sound like a nursery school teacher and telling you stuff you already know about navigating the Edit menus ... but thats it in black and white step by step.

On MFC

Enter Edit mode by pressing the 'Edit' switch second from top on the right side of MFC (switches 1-5 will flash green etc)

Then press the first switch (#1 ) on the MFC (marked 'Preset' above the switch - any switches with white words above them are the edit mode hints)

You will then be in the Preset editing section of the MFC - the MFC window will have 'Preset 001' showing - meaning you are about to edit that Preset's settings - if you want to edit a different preset then use the Up or Down switches to get the preset you want to edit.

Once the correct preset number is showing you then hit the 'Page right' (switch number 7) twice to get to the Preset Program Change menu section - you will see 'Ch 01 ProgChg 000' in the MFC display and there will be a cursor mark under the 1 like '01' you will need to hit the 'Up' switch to change this to 02 - this means you are telling the MFC what to do on MIDI channel 2 when Preset 001 is selected.

You then hit the 'Parameter right' switch (MFC switch 12) once to move the cursor over to the PC number and then use the UP switch to get to the PC number of the Blackstar channel you want to have (001 for clean, 002 for whatever etc)

Once thats done - hit Page left (IA number 6) twice to go back to the preset number screen and use UP to select the next preset number you want to edit - and repeat the rest of the steps above to edit it.

Be sure to always select 'Ch 02' in the Preset Program Change window for each preset you edit!

Do this for all your presets that you need to do - and at the end click the Edit switch to save all your work and exit the Edit mode.

Sorry if I sound like a nursery school teacher and telling you stuff you already know about navigating the Edit menus ... but thats it in black and white step by step.

I have done this but it does not get saved. When I go back the data I entered is gone. It reverts back to CH1. I havent received the 5 pin cable yet so I am kinda stuck.

I have done this but it does not get saved. When I go back the data I entered is gone. It reverts back to CH1.

Press up so it says "Ch 02" again and you should find the ProgChg number chosen before. The menu is a list of PC settings for all 16 channels and Ch 01 is just the first item displayed.

Yep, your previous edit session's 'Ch 02' ProgChg value settings for each preset should be still saved ok once you scroll to them in the same way that you got to them when doing the first editing.

It will be a lot easier to troubleshoot any configuration issues once you get that MIDI cable and have all devices connected up and communicating with each other.

I'd suggest that, once all connected up, you power up the Blackstar first (leave it on standby), then power the MFC/AxeFX second.

Back
Top Bottom