Again- what's Cliff doing now?

The GP-10 internal sounds (different types of guitar, acoustic, jazz, bass, pickups...) are coming from guitar modeling, not pitch-to-MIDI (although it also has that additional feature to trigger an external MIDI keyboard). The need of the GK is to process (model) the six strings separately. Not only to allow alternate tunings, but for better quality of the modeling when playing chords.

Currently you cannot get a decent saxophone modeling a guitar. You need pitch-to-midi conversion to trigger a sampler, keyboard, PCM synth, etc

You can. With Jam Origin software that converts pitch-to MIDI using the regular pickups. No need of external accesory.

Yeah there is realtime pitch to midi or... its not great but the only difference between it and the software used in combination with midi pickups is that the pickups are generally hexaphonic. Which allows you to pick apart the nonsense a bit easier.

I am sure he is working on the next iteration of FAS fabulousness.

Also due to his demonstrated excellence with digital signal processing he is working on decoding the "WOW Signal."
:alien::):D:p

Men In Black say:
:cool:

well what is cliff doing... well the l6 folks wanted to be able to move a virtual mic in front of a virtual speaker and cliff responded + latest helix update adds aguilar tone hammer... SO GOOD NEW FOLKS: I'd say there is at least an eleventy percent chance we're getting an aguilar tonehammer model... after all us bass players have been sufficiently groaning and surely the gods will pity us! I for one can't wait!!
I have been gassing lately for a kemper and this is great news because now I won't need to stoop to that lowliness! gonna start counting my chickens and moving all my eggs immediately!!

What I think is cool about Fractal Audio Systems is that the Main Man is so regularly active with his community of users that people actually notice when he isn’t as publicly active with them. That puts FAS and Cliff Chase (and the head folks at the company) in a minute percentage of musical companies. Personally I only know one other place (RJM) where that is true.
There are 3 musical companies that I know of where this is true :
Fractal Audio
RJM
Metric Halo.

These 3 companies also differentiates themselves in another way, on top of the main man in each company is active with and approachable to the customer base - they are also IMHO the absolute best and most innovative in their respective field within the music industry.

I've been using Fractal Audio since I bought one of the first 50 Ultras produced, and have with the exception of the FX-8 owed every product that have produced since then.

My RJM MMGT22 is a dream controller and the Effects Gizmo and Mini Effects Gizmos have all been great.

I own 2 Metric Halo ULN-8 Mk IV, that means that I have a 2 unit rack with 16 of the best preamps in the world, full software production suite and worldclass interface - in effect a travel ready, top studio and FOH system.

My first ULN-8 started as a ULN-8 2D, and has been user HW updated to first 3D specs and now again user HW upgraded to Mk IV spec.
Even as a 2D spec unit it would have more than held its own agains more well known interfaces like to top offerings from UA and others, and with other companies you would have had to buy a new interface several times over to have the best available to you - with MH a reasonably priced HW upgrade kit can be user / field installed and your audio interface is on the absolute edge for many more years.
If you are recording through mics and not just via USB with you Axe Fx 3, you should check out Metric Halo.

I'm grateful and proud to be a longtime supporter of all 3 companies and love using their products.

There are 3 musical companies that I know of where this is true :
Fractal Audio
RJM
Metric Halo.

These 3 companies also differentiates themselves in another way, on top of the main man in each company is active with and approachable to the customer base - they are also IMHO the absolute best and most innovative in their respective field within the music industry.

I've been using Fractal Audio since I bought one of the first 50 Ultras produced, and have with the exception of the FX-8 owed every product that have produced since then.

My RJM MMGT22 is a dream controller and the Effects Gizmo and Mini Effects Gizmos have all been great.

I own 2 Metric Halo ULN-8 Mk IV, that means that I have a 2 unit rack with 16 of the best preamps in the world, full software production suite and worldclass interface - in effect a travel ready, top studio and FOH system.

My first ULN-8 started as a ULN-8 2D, and has been user HW updated to first 3D specs and now again user HW upgraded to Mk IV spec.
Even as a 2D spec unit it would have more than held its own agains more well known interfaces like to top offerings from UA and others, and with other companies you would have had to buy a new interface several times over to have the best available to you - with MH a reasonably priced HW upgrade kit can be user / field installed and your audio interface is on the absolute edge for many more years.
If you are recording through mics and not just via USB with you Axe Fx 3, you should check out Metric Halo.

I'm grateful and proud to be a longtime supporter of all 3 companies and love using their products.
I would add Universal Audio and PRS Guitars. I realize PRS isn’t an Audio equipment company, but they are a music company so they are related. lol

I would add Universal Audio and PRS Guitars. I realize PRS isn’t an Audio equipment company, but they are a music company so they are related. lol
UA is the exact opposite of FAS. Cliff would not be sleeping thru several years of awful windows drivers. Aside from that, we have constant communication from not only the owner, but several of the staff who are in the know. At UA, Drew is a huge help but usually doesn’t have much info outside of “nothing to announce at this time”. Finally, support over there seems to be getting worse.

UA is the exact opposite of FAS. Cliff would not be sleeping thru several years of awful windows drivers. Aside from that, we have constant communication from not only the owner, but several of the staff who are in the know. At UA, Drew is a huge help but usually doesn’t have much info outside of “nothing to announce at this time”. Finally, support over there seems to be getting worse.
Hi Bruce. I believe we have posted to discussions on the UA forum in the past. As I believe I stated to you previously, I have been a UA customer for over 40 years…both hardware and software. I have found them to be exactly like Fractal. In my experience, they produce high quality, industry leading, professional grade products and provide top lever support! I personally know other professional studio owners, many of which I have known for over 30 years, that think UA products are the gold standard that all other recording studio audio hardware and plugin companies are measured by. I guess our experience with UA is not the same…I believe largely because we are a Mac based studio and you are Windows I believe. It seems that Mac users seem to have a different view of UA than some Windows users do. I am thrilled with Fractal as well. Fractal is to the guitar modeler world what UA is to studio hardware and plugin emulations. In my opinion, both companies are the top of the heap in their respective industries!

Last edited:
I don’t dis
Hi Bruce. I believe we have posted to discussions on the UA forum in the past. As I believe I stated to you previously, I have been a UA customer for over 40 years…both hardware and software. I have found them to be exactly like Fractal. In my experience, they produce high quality, industry leading, professional grade products and provide top lever support! I personally know other professional studio owners, many of which I have known for over 30 years, that think UA products are the gold standard that all other recording studio audio hardware and plugin companies are measured by. I guess our experience with UA is not the same…I believe largely because we are a Mac based studio and you are Windows I believe. It seems that Mac users seem to have a different view of UA than some Windows users do. I am thrilled with Fractal as well. Fractal is to the guitar modeler world what UA is to studio hardware and plugin emulations. In my opinion, both companies are the top of the heap in their respective industries!
agree UA makes great stuff. Yes, on par with FAS in quality and innovation. I just think it’s hard to deny problem solving happens very differently (if at all) over at UA, windows issues being one of a few. Also as I stated, we have a pipeline right to the big man himself on this very forum. To me, seeing the owner of a company so active and involved in steering the ship adds value and trust. I don’t see that at UA. Senior management is mum on their forum. I’m heavily invested in both platforms and have since come around to really loving and investing further in UA, despite what I perceive as their downside.

I don’t dis

agree UA makes great stuff. Yes, on par with FAS in quality and innovation. I just think it’s hard to deny problem solving happens very differently (if at all) over at UA, windows issues being one of a few. Also as I stated, we have a pipeline right to the big man himself on this very forum. To me, seeing the owner of a company so active and involved in steering the ship adds value and trust. I don’t see that at UA. Senior management is mum on their forum. I’m heavily invested in both platforms and have since come around to really loving and investing further in UA, despite what I perceive as their downside.
There are companies that provide little to no support...too many today I am afraid. UA provides a level of support far above the average…but I agree not equal to that provided by Cliff and his team; they provide an extraordinary level of support and communication not equaled by any other company I deal with. Have a great rest of the week Bruce…happy music making!

I wish UAD would follow Fractals lead and do linear phase oversampling vs min phase. Even so many of their plugs are great. Just don’t use Windows 😝
That’s like saying Fractal is great, just don’t use Les Pauls
I really wish UA was a Mac only platform. But because they market for windows you have to hold their feet to the fire when it comes to the poor implementation. It took me no less than 20 tries to install a new interface. I’m not a newb, this was my 3rd x8 in my system. Their windows stuff is just all sorts of buggy until you finally get it balanced.

I really wish UA was a Mac only platform. But because they market for windows you have to hold their feet to the fire when it comes to the poor implementation. It took me no less than 20 tries to install a new interface. I’m not a newb, this was my 3rd x8 in my system. Their windows stuff is just all sorts of buggy until you finally get it balanced.

I wonder if they are actually writing windows native code or simply using a translator/cross compiler. There is plenty of this going on both ways for hardware and plugin producers. This can be true when drivers/plugins are ported from mac to windows, or windows to mac. It is lazy and cheap if that is what they are doing.

I honestly don't know but sometimes it is a good indication if software works much better on one platform than the other.

I wonder if they are actually writing windows native code or simply using a translator/cross compiler. There is plenty of this going on both ways for hardware and plugin producers. This can be true when drivers/plugins are ported from mac to windows, or windows to mac. It is lazy and cheap if that is what they are doing.

I honestly don't know but sometimes it is a good indication if software works much better on one platform than the other.
Who knows. But at roughly 2500 an interface, what could it possibly cost to have someone who knows what they’re doing come in and clean this up?

I don’t use it, but from what I’ve read… Universal Audio isn’t that ‘Universal’ if they have continuous issues with Windows users. Not everyone uses over priced Macs. Me included. Just sayin’
It’s not completely unusable. As long as you stay in your DAW, the system works quite well. System audio, seems the best you’ll get is an occasional click or pop, at worst a lot of them. That coupled with installers that wont install and their DAW not being given much priority in being coded over, i guess it depends what you would want them for. For me, great interfaces and great plugins with DSP processing makes it for me.

Yeah it’s a huge pain for Windows users. RME seems like the only ones who have got it down.

Back
Top Bottom