Again- what's Cliff doing now?

UA is the exact opposite of FAS. Cliff would not be sleeping thru several years of awful windows drivers. Aside from that, we have constant communication from not only the owner, but several of the staff who are in the know. At UA, Drew is a huge help but usually doesn’t have much info outside of “nothing to announce at this time”. Finally, support over there seems to be getting worse.
Yeah, look at the OX. Never any word or update in years. Hell, even a very smart forum member over there was able to code a way to backup our setups from it. UA never did. So I agree.

I just think it’s hard to deny problem solving happens very differently (if at all) over at UA, windows issues being one of a few.
The FM3 still has windows issue in the fact that it doesn't adjust for latency when recording. It has never worked properly.
The last response from Fractal was that there was no update with it.

The FM3 still has windows issue in the fact that it doesn't adjust for latency when recording. It has never worked properly.
The last response from Fractal was that there was no update with it.
I wasn't aware that was a Windows related issue. I thought it was just a general thing...

Hi Bruce. I believe we have posted to discussions on the UA forum in the past. As I believe I stated to you previously, I have been a UA customer for over 40 years…both hardware and software. I have found them to be exactly like Fractal. In my experience, they produce high quality, industry leading, professional grade products and provide top lever support! I personally know other professional studio owners, many of which I have known for over 30 years, that think UA products are the gold standard that all other recording studio audio hardware and plugin companies are measured by. I guess our experience with UA is not the same…I believe largely because we are a Mac based studio and you are Windows I believe. It seems that Mac users seem to have a different view of UA than some Windows users do. I am thrilled with Fractal as well. Fractal is to the guitar modeler world what UA is to studio hardware and plugin emulations. In my opinion, both companies are the top of the heap in their respective industries!
To me UA has this "we know better than you" mentality regarding all their products.

Just look at their pedal range. From the first one people were asking for things like MIDI/expression support (or MIDI over USB), multiple presets etc modern digital conveniences but they have what, a dozen pedals now that all follow the same boneheaded design.

Or the UA OX Box, which hasn't received any improvements since 2019 yet there is also no successor for it.

Or the budget UA Volt interfaces, which based on some reports seem to have pretty high latency even on MacOS thanks to lack of proprietary drivers.
Or all the complaints about the higher end audio interfaces with Windows. I use MacOS and Windows so for me cross-platform compatibility is a factor.

Personally I won't buy any UA products because I see a certain hubris where they refuse to acknowledge and solve problems users have, or do improvements. The products are generally fine and good sounding, it's everything around them that drags them down.

This of course doesn't invalidate you having a great experience with the company and if you do, should keep using them.

To bring this back to Fractal, to me there's a huge difference in how Fractal interacts with their community vs UA's "open a support ticket", "nothing to announce", "something vague that side-steps the question" answers I've been seeing from them on various forums.

To me UA has this "we know better than you" mentality regarding all their products.

Just look at their pedal range. From the first one people were asking for things like MIDI/expression support (or MIDI over USB), multiple presets etc modern digital conveniences but they have what, a dozen pedals now that all follow the same boneheaded design.

Or the UA OX Box, which hasn't received any improvements since 2019 yet there is also no successor for it.

Or the budget UA Volt interfaces, which based on some reports seem to have pretty high latency even on MacOS thanks to lack of proprietary drivers.
Or all the complaints about the higher end audio interfaces with Windows. I use MacOS and Windows so for me cross-platform compatibility is a factor.

Personally I won't buy any UA products because I see a certain hubris where they refuse to acknowledge and solve problems users have, or do improvements. The products are generally fine and good sounding, it's everything around them that drags them down.

This of course doesn't invalidate you having a great experience with the company and if you do, should keep using them.

To bring this back to Fractal, to me there's a huge difference in how Fractal interacts with their community vs UA's "open a support ticket", "nothing to announce", "something vague that side-steps the question" answers I've been seeing from them on various forums.

Evidently, my experience with UA and yours is not the same. The good news is that our experience with Fractal is the same…and it’s great! Have a great day.

Although I’m heavily invested in UA, I couldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to dip their beak. As far as FAS goes, they are second to none in service and updates. Do you think FAS has an unrealistic business model? Can a company like UA take on FAS business model and survive? Could you imagine, “buy a UA interface and every plugin we develop forever will be free to you”? It would be unheard of, but FAS does exactly this.

Although I’m heavily invested in UA, I couldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to dip their beak. As far as FAS goes, they are second to none in service and updates. Do you think FAS has an unrealistic business model? Can a company like UA take on FAS business model and survive? Could you imagine, “buy a UA interface and every plugin we develop forever will be free to you”? It would be unheard of, but FAS does exactly this.
MMeldaProductions does exactly this if you buy their complete bundle. They specifically state that if you buy the complete bundle you will automatically receive any future plugin releases at no additional cost. Granted it was expensive to purchase (I believe that I paid $599 for the complete bundle on sale, with a discount applied for previous single plugin purchases), but the bundle includes well over 100 plugins, and I have already received several new plugin releases at no cost.

I paid about $7000 for Waves Mercury. On sale.
Yup, Waves is super expensive. I have their Diamond bundle. I don't like doing business with them, so I have refused to upgrade to Mercury, though I was quoted an upgrade from Diamond to Mercury of about $1800 (AudioDeluxe.com has the best upgrade prices that I know of online - plus they don't charge tax because they are based in the UK). I just decided that I didn't need to upgrade, especially at that price. Plus, Waves is not customer focused and wants to maximize profits more than create happy customers. There are some newer plugins that they have released that are of interest (Harmony, for example), but I look for alternatives and avoid contributing to their coffers if at all possible. Plus, I've bought so many plugins, so many more than I'll ever use, that I'm dramatically cutting back on plugin purchases.

Hi all,

However interesting the talk about ua may be to its users, I’d like to get back to fractal and the ‘ What is Cliff up to’ pondering. I myself find it even hard to imagine anything except the ‘more’ wishes. More amps, more effects. And admittedly, that is just the hoarder and the fomo talking.

Silence usually indicates something big is in the making
rowan wit GIF

Or, given the season, a well-deserved long Summer break
This may be true across several retail markets. Many folks are taking vacation holidays just before the kids head back to school, and are focusing on school supplies, clothing, electronic devices, etc.

Realize that many FAS employees have real lives as well, and may be "house-cleaning" in order to make way for new arrivals. My guess is that college students heading back to university will be doing their own cleaning/organizing/moving soon. If Cliff has a family, it would follow suit that his employees do as well...

Perhaps the lull might be the waiting for the supply chain to catch up again so new units can be produced. This would be evidenced by the Email Waitlist posts we've seen recently....

Back
Top Bottom