A good alternative To Matrix Amps?

I've always wondered if it's the same power amp that's in the 100W Katana, or something different.
I’m currently using my TAE as a power amp as well. It claims to use the “tube logic” circuitry, which I’m weary of as I don’t want anything adding compression or narrowing the frequency response.

I had a Marshall 9005, weighs more than a small moon. Changed it for a lightweight QSC something, that weighed only as much as a wheelbarrow full of bricks.

Lab Grubben is a good one with professional lightweight amps if Matrix is out of the equation.

Found a matrix gt1000fx can’t wait to try this out. Will report back if interested - still my good is someone’s bad -

I have a PS170, sounds pretty good to me, but I'm primarily a high gain extreme metal type guy so maybe it's not so great at eob tones or something, I've never tried.

Fryette Power Station has been the best for me, and it's not remotely close. I tried several other smaller/cheaper options (PS170, Pedal Baby, etc) but there was always something to try and tweak out. The Fryette has just worked as-is from the day I plugged it in. Sounds incredible and feels incredible to play. One of the biggest improvements to the Axe in my experience.

Thank you to all that has expressed their knowledge in helping me to find a

A good alternative To Matrix Amp

I haven't tried the Matrix, but after a few solid state amps, I am using the FX loop of a tube amp. Just sounds much better without being overly loud

Fryette Power Station has been the best for me, and it's not remotely close. I tried several other smaller/cheaper options (PS170, Pedal Baby, etc) but there was always something to try and tweak out. The Fryette has just worked as-is from the day I plugged it in. Sounds incredible and feels incredible to play. One of the biggest improvements to the Axe in my experience.

I had the fryette too- sounds good but to big and heavy for me to gig with.
A couple comments since I have a PS100 too. I found on the wiki it says that if you are playing through a Powerstation with a cab to set the impedance curve to resistive load. Does anyone do this because I’ve actually matched the curve to my Mesa cabinet.

Resistive Load: this disables the speaker impedance / resonance modeling (flat curve). Use this when connecting the Fractal Audio modeler to a tube amp.”

“Using a neutral tube power amp​

When using the amp modeler with a "neutral" tube power amp (e.g. Fryette's Power Station) and a traditional speaker cabinet:

• keep Power Amp Modeling turned on
  • disable Cabinet Modeling, because you're using a traditional guitar speaker
  • set Speaker Impedance Curve to "Resistive Load". Note: if you use the same Amp block for a separate direct signal (to FOH or FRFR monitor), the direct tone will be effected”
"If using a tube power amp into a traditional cab all should be zero. If using a solid-state amp into a traditional cab I would recommend Speaker Compression and Compliance not be zero." [112]
I also use the effects loop input on the Powerstation and not the line in. Fryette gave me that tip which is actually much louder and punchy than using the line in input.

Last edited:
  • set Speaker Impedance Curve to "Resistive Load". Note: if you use the same Amp block for a separate direct signal (to FOH or FRFR monitor), the direct tone will be effected”
Couple of questions,
1. If I'm using FRFR (FOH & Monitors), and SS Amp and real cab simultaneously using one amp block, what would the correct settings be? The two settings in question being the impedance curve, and also the output setting (FRFR or SS amp+cab).

2. What if I have the same setup, albeit with a tube power amp?
I'm thinking it should be 'Resistive load' and 'FRFR'

EDIT: I found the following comment in the Wiki, which confirms I am right to stay with 'FRFR' as the correct output setting, despite using a SS amp (Matrix) and cab on stage:
"Stick to the "FRFR" setting when simultaneously using FRFR monitoring / direct-to-FOH and a solid-state power amp and conventional guitar cab on stage."

Last edited:
I’m finding it best to try all of this - it’s easy enough to bring it up on the editor and switch things around to see what sounds best - trust your ears

A couple comments since I have a PS100 too. I found on the wiki it says that if you are playing through a Powerstation with a cab to set the impedance curve to resistive load. Does anyone do this because I’ve actually matched the curve to my Mesa cabinet.

Resistive Load: this disables the speaker impedance / resonance modeling (flat curve). Use this when connecting the Fractal Audio modeler to a tube amp.”

“Using a neutral tube power amp​

When using the amp modeler with a "neutral" tube power amp (e.g. Fryette's Power Station) and a traditional speaker cabinet:

• keep Power Amp Modeling turned on
  • disable Cabinet Modeling, because you're using a traditional guitar speaker

I also use the effects loop input on the Powerstation and not the line in. Fryette gave me that tip which is actually much louder and punchy than using the line in input.

I find it sounds flatter/more neutral with "resistive load" selected. Whether this is good or bad depends on the situation I guess. I also find that matching the curve to a cab I actually have (i.e. Mesa Recto) it seems to add a lot of contrast/punch.

I haven't tried using the loop input, will have to give that a shot.

I’m finding it best to try all of this - it’s easy enough to bring it up on the editor and switch things around to see what sounds best - trust your ears

Basically this. There's lots of things you're "supposed" to do, but ultimately it's best to just fine tune using your ears and not your eyes.

Tried fx loop of TC50, peavey DSP 750 power amp. SD PS170, Matrix GT1000fx , Fryette ps2-a and qsc k12.2, and Friedman asc-10/12. Didn't care for the PS170, the peavey or the fx return of the Mesa. The matrix and the Fryette are the only thing I enjoyed. I know some people praise the BAM 200 as well as the SD170, to me its not logical or practical to drop 3k on the best gear in the guitar world and look for a short cut to power it. Just my opinion, does a $200 speaker sound and or is built like a $1200 speaker? Never has and it never will. No disrespect to any of the PS170 users., it's just.my opinion and at the end of the day, with the ax3 you can make anything sound good. I'm not rich by any means, buy a prs and play thru a battery operated phone speaker? What's the point, just buy a guitar at half the cost and spend the other half on a decent amp. Matrix is great , to bad they shit the bed, or the C19 forced them to adapt. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom