5150 Presence Knob

Do You Want the 5150 Presence Control to be Authentic?

• Yes

Votes: 160 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 277 63.4%

• Total voters
Could that be because that’s where the whole range is? 😉
Haha. Really??? I just learned for the first time!
Lots of metal albums from the 2000's had the presence way higher, even at 9.5 in some cases.
You should know that there is still a range between 8-10, right? ;)

Haha. Really??? I just learned for the first time!
Lots of metal albums from the 2000's had the presence way higher, even at 9.5 in some cases.
You should know that there is still a range between 8-10, right? ;)
Yeah I was being cheeky. Probably not the most useful contribution.

The tonestack tapers in the Ecstasy model match the amp.
It doesn’t need me to add it, but I have an Ecstasy 101b (not the same as the one modeled) BUT the presence in the model matches my real Ecstasy, just as Cliff said.

You don’t really hear the presence until you hit 7 or so. It works great.

Decision has been made with release of 23.05

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Changed Presence control taper on all 6160 and 5153 amp models to replicate the actual amp. It is advised to audition any presets that use these models and adjust accordingly.
Yup.

The only remaining non-authentic controls are the Mesa Mark EQ sliders I believe.

Yup.

The only remaining non-authentic controls are the Mesa Mark EQ sliders I believe.
I'm almost afraid to bring this up as being 100% authentic on this would be a major step backwards IMHO but what about all the Triaxis models? I know you had one for years & so did I but for those who don't know, all the controls had really crude resolution, ie, they all went from 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 etc. Also, you had presets for the graphic EQ with no control of the exact EQ slider settings, only what Mesa decided was perfect (according to the manual, no one has ever wanted to change the presets except 1 guy who used it for bass. I wanted to change all of them). I asked Mesa why it was like this & they said it would be too much work to have finer resolution LOL! Are the Traixis models on the chopping block for an authentic revamp? I think this would be a be careful what you wish for moment for the absolute authentic crowd.

It doesn’t need me to add it, but I have an Ecstasy 101b (not the same as the one modeled) BUT the presence in the model matches my real Ecstasy, just as Cliff said.

You don’t really hear the presence until you hit 7 or so. It works great.
Unrelated but I would love to get the XTC 101b modelled one day
I think there are schematics floating around for that and it does sound pretty different and unique from the 20th

"poll" ?

The Grinch Smile GIF by Peacock

After thinking through this for a few days I’ve changed my opinion from idealized to authentic. I remember what really sold me on Fractal was the Larry Mitchell video where the amp and model parameters are set the same and it sounds the same. Even though I’d prefer the idealized workflow, the amp models should be as accurate as possible to the original amps. Save the idealized tapers for the FAS models.

Last edited:
Unrelated but I would love to get the XTC 101b modelled one day
I think there are schematics floating around for that and it does sound pretty different and unique from the 20th

My Bogner Ecstasy 101b is my favorite old phat Plexi sound ever, it has a lower mid thing (that the Fractal modeled 20th Anniversary version reputedly doesn't some have said, I don't know, never played a real 20th Anny).... When I tried to dial in the Fractal Euro amp model next to my real 101b as A/B best I could in the room, I noticed the lower mid thing myself (not in the model..but its not the same amp exactly).

The 101b Bogner Ecstasy Plexi mode has truly great low (!) gain with compression/sustain-- without any bright cap type harshness... and the louder you play it, the fuller and better it sounds.

I'd be happy to send my Bogner Ecstasy101b unit to Cliff if he wanted to model it. There must be some reason he didn't model the Plexi channel in his 20th anniversary Ecstasy...

Tonight I've been dialing in the new Stealth amps...and the existing presence for me is always between 5 and 7.5 in this current (but may-yet-change to authentic!) - "ideal" mode...

I'm almost afraid to bring this up as being 100% authentic on this would be a major step backwards IMHO but what about all the Triaxis models? I know you had one for years & so did I but for those who don't know, all the controls had really crude resolution, ie, they all went from 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 etc. Also, you had presets for the graphic EQ with no control of the exact EQ slider settings, only what Mesa decided was perfect (according to the manual, no one has ever wanted to change the presets except 1 guy who used it for bass. I wanted to change all of them). I asked Mesa why it was like this & they said it would be too much work to have finer resolution LOL! Are the Traixis models on the chopping block for an authentic revamp? I think this would be a be careful what you wish for moment for the absolute authentic crowd.
Marshall JMP-1 (and ADA MP-1 if that's ever under consideration to be added going forward as well).

Back
Top Bottom