500hz question

This is true, but it will also eat into the clarity of your vocals. It can be hard, but if you want you vocals to be intelligible, balancing them with the guitars is critical. Also, goes the same for lead guitars. If your rhythms are taking up too much space in that area, you're going to struggle with hearing your lead guitars. It all comes down to a delicate balancing act, especially in that frequency zone.
AH! I never new that. I never played with a singer. Thanks for the info dude.

AH! I never new that. I never played with a singer. Thanks for the info dude.
It's hard to detect emotions through text, but I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or being sincere. I apologize if you really are sincere and in that case, I would say, "You're welcome."

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????!!!!! AND HOW LONG HAS THIS CUTTING 500HZ BUSINESS BEEN GOING ON???? HUH? WHOS IDEA WAS IT TO HIDE GOOD TONE SECRETS FROM ME?!

Thanks fellas, where do i sign up to be in the cutting 500hz club. Is there a document or something?

Is there a document or something?
From the manual:

The%207%20Bad%20System%20Dwarves.jpg

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????!!!!! AND HOW LONG HAS THIS CUTTING 500HZ BUSINESS BEEN GOING ON???? HUH? WHOS IDEA WAS IT TO HIDE GOOD TONE SECRETS FROM ME?!

Thanks fellas, where do i sign up to be in the cutting 500hz club. Is there a document or something?
Ah, okay. I got my answer. You ARE an ass hole.

Ah, okay. I got my answer. You ARE an ass hole.

I have reread this a few times and maybe because I did it
All before 7 am but this did not tickle my a hole radar. I think he was being serious just me (.02 cents would hate for a miss understanding to send this chat south)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All before 7 am but this did not tickle my a hole radar. I think he was being serious just me (.02 cents would hate for a miss understanding to send this chat south)

I think the thread went southward with the all caps reply and sharky comment about the "cutting 500 club." I also think that Lionheart was trying to be informative and not getting to be a dick toward the other poster.

I think the thread went southward with the all caps reply and sharky comment about the "cutting 500 club." I also think that Lionheart was trying to be informative and not getting to be a dick toward the other poster.

I don't think Lionheart is being a jerk either. I just think he may have read the other guys intentions wrong.

It's hard to detect emotions through text, but I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or being sincere. I apologize if you really are sincere and in that case, I would say, "You're welcome."

LMAO!!!! Im not being sarcastic ! I really didn't know. I'm totally being sincere. I came a long way with knowing how to use this machine by learning from everyone on this forum. I didn't even see this post until i got the asshole one. Yikes

I don't think Lionheart is being a jerk either. I just think he may have read the other guys intentions wrong.

Retro_dad is correct. I wasn't sure if cgraci was being sarcastic or not. So instead of jumping to conclusions, I asked him politely about it because it is hard to detect what people really mean by just reading text on a screen. We miss the facial expressions and tone of voice that would've helped out.

So, when his next comment was the one with all caps, I thought that he was giving me my answer. I thought it was pretty crappy because I was sincerely trying to give advice and give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

OH man I'm wasn't trying to be an asshole. I really took your advice. My patch sounds incredible. I was just being funny about it. Im a real clown but i can see how that was turned around.

LMAO!!!! Im not being sarcastic ! I really didn't know. I'm totally being sincere. I came a long way with knowing how to use this machine by learning from everyone on this forum. I didn't even see this post until i got the asshole one. Yikes

No problem, cgraci. Sometimes misunderstandings happen like this on the internet. I'm just glad that it's all cleared up and everybody is cool with each other.

Back to the topic at hand,I'd really like to thank rifflord22 for starting this discussion. It encouraged me to stop noodling around and actually dial in my sound. I put a looper at the beginning of my chain and just strummed a few chords and was amazed at how clear my tone got by not only cutting some frequencies, but also by boosting others. I truly learn something new here everyday.

Does anyone know what the frequencies are in the 5band passive EQ? Is one 500hz?
If you're using the 5 band passive EQ in the amp block, try cutting the LMid fader by a few dB's. 500Hz is typically found in the low mid freq's on many mixers (those with sweepable mids anyway) and dedicated outboard EQ units. The amp block default EQ is the 8 band variable Q if memory serves. It has a specific 500Hz fader that would likely be more accurate for cutting in the 500Hz range than the 5 band passive. For even greater control, you can add a graphic EQ block, use the 10 band constant Q, then cut the 500Hz freq and adjust the master Q control to effect greater or lesser frequencies around the 500Hz center. The parametric EQ can be used for this as well. Experiment with placing the EQ block before and after the amp block. When cutting frequencies, I've found I like the results better by placing the EQ block after the amp block. For boosting - which I rarely do - placing the EQ before the amp block seems to achieve the desired results for me. YMMV so experiment to find what works best for you.

this makes me feel like I should call up a 7 band EQ and systematically shoot each one of these dwarves in the head, like Ted Nugent wants me to. 'Only assholes run out of ammo'.

Exactly.

Guitars, especially distorted ones, eat up a huge range of the frequency spectrum.

However, don't take this to mean that you should be crafting your guitar tone like this BEFORE you record.

In my opinion, you first want to dial in a sound in your Axe-Fx (or amp & cab) that sounds massive and lovely. Yes, they will stomp all over the vocals and bass guitar in the mix. Yes, they're gonna make your mix sound like crap, but that's what you want to start out with. That where the skill of mixing in your DAW comes into play. You want to go into your mix with a big guitar sound that you can sculpt and mold to fit the music and still sound huge.

If you're using the 5 band passive EQ in the amp block, try cutting the LMid fader by a few dB's. 500Hz is typically found in the low mid freq's on many mixers (those with sweepable mids anyway) and dedicated outboard EQ units. The amp block default EQ is the 8 band variable Q if memory serves. It has a specific 500Hz fader that would likely be more accurate for cutting in the 500Hz range than the 5 band passive. For even greater control, you can add a graphic EQ block, use the 10 band constant Q, then cut the 500Hz freq and adjust the master Q control to effect greater or lesser frequencies around the 500Hz center. The parametric EQ can be used for this as well. Experiment with placing the EQ block before and after the amp block. When cutting frequencies, I've found I like the results better by placing the EQ block after the amp block. For boosting - which I rarely do - placing the EQ before the amp block seems to achieve the desired results for me. YMMV so experiment to find what works best for you.

Thanks for the tips! Off to tinker...

here's a thought for y'all

generally, bass and low mids do not live well together
combined they generate a lot of energy [which will mean quiet tones that pin the meters] and they'll kill definition

so you can have one or the other, but rarely both..

for some tone types [or instruments when mixing] 500Hz is perfectly fine and maybe even desirable.. but that'll mean cutting the bass..
and likewise, for others you'll want deeper bass.. so rather than boosting the lows, cutting the low mids will make space for the low end..

a thing to be mindful of is that EQ is relative.. taking one thing away makes the other bands seem stronger
so it's not always about boosting bands.. cutting a few bands here and there and then boosting the preset's level can often be more effective than boosting bands..

Back
Top Bottom