11.05 sounds thinner somehow

GibsonLesPaul

Experienced
Have upgraded from 11.03 to 11.05 without any errors or warnings.
Tonight I had rehearsal with my band and from the beginning I was missing some push, which I normally always had.
The Crunch patch sounded more clean than crunch. The distorted and Fat Friedman patch were not as punchy and fat as normal.

Couldn't get my finger behind it what it was. The best I could explain as if my guitar was "less pushing the amp" if that makes sense, as if my volumeknobs we're at 7...
Until I drove home and realized I upgraded the firmware.....
Before I set myself back to 11.03, anybody else experienced this also?

The patches I'm talking about are preset 2-5 from yek's preset-thread btw.

Try and resetting the amp blocks. Better yet, try to start from scratch then add an amp, cab and maybe reverb. If it's better, it may be your patches that's making it sound like that.

Double-click the "bypass" to get the amp back to scratch, then work from there. It will still be in the ballpark. I used to be able to just change amps and the sound would be great but I find myself having to hit "bypass" twice to get the amp to a good state after an update.

similar thing happened to me. I selected a random patch waited a few second then went back to the patch I wanted and all was well again

All thanks for your help. Checked your tips and unfortunately it's not the solution.
So can it be that, just with overwriting the firmware with a new one, and without changing anything else, some of the parameters are touched "underwater"?
Cliff?

There is no difference between 11.03 and 11.05. Perhaps you turned off the power amp modeling.
Power amp modeling is on.
I believe there are no differences Cliff. If you changed nothing to the amps, you changed nothing to the amps.
But could it be something like I put above? A sort of "leak" somewhere in the upgrade process?

Sometimes it's the cable, or a dead battery in the guitar.
Gibson Les Paul.
Tried another cable also

Press the I/O button on the front panel.
What input do you use?
What are your Input settings in the I/O?

Front input.
I/O is left only

The input mode left only vs. stereo would this this description perfectly.
True, I know what you mean.
It isn't the case here however. See above

Disengage the "suck" button on the PA ....

Yep, that was the solution. Thanks ;)
be7ef9ca3aa34510bc16b0a8245db262.jpg

Maybe Cliff utilizes the placebo effect here.....
I understand, that's what I have heard more here.
However I did realize only after the rehearsal that I had upgraded to 11.05...

Check your input levels.
Checked. Tickles the red

Last edited:
I had a similar situation some time back. I did a V11 clean. reinstalled, reset system, and problem was solved. (thanks LVC).:encouragement:

I had a similar situation some time back. I did a V11 clean. reinstalled, reset system, and problem was solved. (thanks LVC).:encouragement:

do you literally back up your banks with Bot and then do the reset v11 clean, and then reinstall the banks, so that you've lost none of your settings? Are there system settings you have to restore after this? My concern is the modifiers I've set up.

Thanks for baby-steps instructions/insights.

Try and resetting the amp blocks. Better yet, try to start from scratch then add an amp, cab and maybe reverb. If it's better, it may be your patches that's making it sound like that.
That makes it sound like I want. Fat and real.
But I had that on my 11.03 also. It lost thickness after upgrading.

Double-click the "bypass" to get the amp back to scratch, then work from there. It will still be in the ballpark. I used to be able to just change amps and the sound would be great but I find myself having to hit "bypass" twice to get the amp to a good state after an update.
Same like above.

So that keeps the question, if it has something to do with the upgrade process.

Ok what did I do next. I restored my bank C of the 11.03 Backup to bank B in 11.05 so I can compare.
I can hear the difference, my old patch is fatter.
I've put both of them in my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lcrqbtrpccj5b31/8F-KHw68vu

If somebody would check, would be great.

So 1105 is the original patch, and then just put the firmware over it -> thin
1103 patch is imported after the upgrade -> fat

It could be however if someone import the presets that it doesn't replicate the issue of writing firmware over existing patches.
But let's give it a try.

I can get my old sound back. But am curious what happened during the upgrade.

do you literally back up your banks with Bot and then do the reset v11 clean, and then reinstall the banks, so that you've lost none of your settings? Are there system settings you have to restore after this? My concern is the modifiers I've set up.

Thanks for baby-steps instructions/insights.
I only have a dozen patches i need to keep in tact.

I save those to a folder on my desk top with AE, then go to Fractal's site and run the wipe file. with F Bot

Then reinstall the firmware with Bot then reinstall the abc bank files. with F bot

Reset system in utility menu.

Then i write my saved patches individually to and over the first 12 factory presets. with F BOT not AE...

Last edited:
I only have a dozen patches i need to keep in tact.

I save those to a folder on my desk top, then go to Fractal's site and run the wipe file.

Then reinstall the firmware then reinstall the abc bank files.

Reset system in utility menu.

Then i write my saved patches individually to and over the first 12 factory presets.

I do this too.

Back
Top Bottom