Tonex One

I agree with the OP… it’s a great time to be a guitar player. While my one ride with Tonex cured me of desiring anything made by IK Multimedia, it is super cool that so many great options are available. There is truly something for everyone, and you can bet Fractal Audio Systems is far from done amazing us with new products and upgrades. It is, indeed, a great time.

I might stick it on the board right next to my FM9 for like a capture of a victory amp or something. $200 for that thing is insane.

So… it’s a mini pedal version of the TONEX Pedal?

That’s exactly what it is. The same sounds and quality as the bigger one, only in a small format and with the SE software if I understand it correctly.

I will buy one as a backup for my guitar and bass amps or modeller.

It has more bass stuff in it than the Axe fx actually.

I don't understand the enthusiasm. I don't want to have to familiarize myself with the ecosystem of different manufacturers and maintain their know-how when I can get everything I need with Fractal. The sound quality in particular is increasingly putting me off. No matter what I try, only FAS doesn't disappoint me. Thanks to the CPU power and highly motivated FAS R&D. Size doesn't matter ;)

I don't understand the enthusiasm. I don't want to have to familiarize myself with the ecosystem of different manufacturers and maintain their know-how when I can get everything I need with Fractal. The sound quality in particular is increasingly putting me off. No matter what I try, only FAS doesn't disappoint me. Thanks to the CPU power and highly motivated FAS R&D. Size doesn't matter ;)

It's for a different purpose. It's a tiny box that you can put in your pocket and take to a gig or use it as a spare etc. Whereas the Axe fx is a big piece of gear that you can't take with you in a train or on a bicycle for example. Sometimes you just don't want to lug around lots of gear and keep it really simple.

Also I think good tones can be get out of almost any piece of gear. I can get good tones out of my Boss GT1000 Core also. I don't think many people will notice the difference with the tones I get out of my Axe fx. It's more in the fingers than in the gear. So the Tonex can also get you good tones.

Here's one use case: fractal removed deliverance MKI sim and replaced it with MKII. MKII just doesn't feel anywhere near as good to me, in terms of percusiveness, and other sims don't seem to get close enough. My tweaking hasn't had the best results either.

With a tonex one in the loop, I could get fairly close to the sound and feel of MKI sim. I would revert back to older firmware, shoot a capture and back to current firmware, which generally has better modeling. An alternative is to hope Cliff decides to put back MKI... But this gives me more control/don't have to hope, wait etc etc.

What is putting you off about the sound quality?

Last edited:
The plexi crunch sound of all cheap modelers, clean and high gain is more or less always possible (always presented in YT videos) but great AC/DC plexi crunch is something just FAS is able to reproduce because of it's realsistic algortihms based on electronic circuits and the processing power. Just my experience ...

I preordered one, I have been wanting to build a small back up board for practice and small stages. I'll be interested to see how the capture function works. I have been unable to recreate my Komet Vimana 25 in the AXEFX. The Comet60 model comes close but doesn't have the headroom of the Vimana.

Damn good back up to the FM9 imo. Nothing will ever beat Fractal, but this is always a good back up or even something to use on a small intimate gig. Really a cool time to be a guitar player.

Just read the german G&B magazine test about the pedal version here: https://www.thomann.de/de/prod_pdfreview_83186-mm65763_gb202306092.pdf?ref=prp_dyk_tes_0
"Only if you work a lot with the volume potentiometer to determine the degree of distortion, the result differs directly
in comparison. It works technically, but here it is the limits of captures – exactly one state is depicted."
:fearscream: This is no professional solution but a toy ;)
Is this reffering to cleaning up the sound with the guitar's volume pot or altering the gain with the knob on the unit itself?

If it's the later, and that would mean such units are toys, the numbers of touring bands relying on "toys" (like the Kemper especially before liquid profiling) are countless.

If it's about the volume pot on the guitar, well, I'm sure tonex is not perfect in all measurable ways, including this one. But I wouldn't go from some discrepancies in accuracy to "it's a toy".

Just read the german G&B magazine test about the pedal version here: https://www.thomann.de/de/prod_pdfreview_83186-mm65763_gb202306092.pdf?ref=prp_dyk_tes_0
"Only if you work a lot with the volume potentiometer to determine the degree of distortion, the result differs directly
in comparison. It works technically, but here it is the limits of captures – exactly one state is depicted."
:fearscream: This is no professional solution but a toy ;)
You mean like Kemper, and all "capture" solutions? ;)

Because they don't have amps in music stores? :)
Because I don't want to depend on finding an amp on the display floor that I like and has a power cord, and I'd rather put on phones than fight with the weedle-deedle-smoke-on-the-water environment.

Also don't want to bring my Axe up from the studio to noodle on the couch.

Anyway, everyone is free to do whatever they want and can afford.

Back
Top Bottom