So I got my Matrix FR12...

hippietim

Axe-Master
...and it's not too bad.

My AX8 was still packed up from the last time I took it out and my Axe II is in my recording rack. But my Boss GP-10 was sitting out so my first test of the FR12 was with the GP-10. The first thing that became apparent is that something like the GP-10 by itself with the FR12 will probably not be loud enough for a lot of situations. There is no setting on the Matrix to compensate for an unbalanced signal to get some more input gain. You'd need to use a mixer or something to provide a strong enough signal. The GP-10 is a good sounding unit and it sounded good with the FR12.

I was curious about the volume so I pulled the AX8 out. It was considerably louder of course. This would be plenty loud enough for most small clubs and rehearsals. I was not blown away by the way it sounded but it was definitely pretty decent. It didn't crap out when I cranked it up. The high end is a little on the harsh side to my ears.

I then plugged the AX8 into my CLR. No contest. The CLR is hands down better. More punch. More articulation/clarity. The highs were present without harshness. The low end was thick without being boomy.

Bottom line for me: the FR12 is a good FRFR speaker but it is not going to displace the CLR. I'd probably still like to have an FR10 (vs. the FR12) because it's smaller and lighter and would be great for grab and go.

Thank you for your review indeed. I was also interested in the FR10 for the same reasons. If I rememember correctly from their FB site, it has the same speaker type and brand as the FR12 which could mean it has the same characteristics. Harshness is something I definitely want to avoid. Well, let's see if a new FR10 owner chimes in...

Bottom line for me: the FR12 is a good FRFR speaker but it is not going to displace the CLR. I'd probably still like to have an FR10 (vs. the FR12) because it's smaller and lighter and would be great for grab and go.

This is exactly why I'm waiting for my FR10 invite. Love my CLR but it's way too heavy for me.

Count me in. I am preying for the same stuff over and over again: Make that gear more portable. I don't buy the story of an amp or cab that needs to weigh 25 kg to move air, give you the thump and what not. Also, it is getting more difficult for the baby boomers to play in loud rock bands. Blues and Jazz in smaller clubs and venues is more of their " street cred" nowadays (70s Rock excluded) :)). And that means: small amps and small gear. I would be all over a neodym 10" CLR, 12 kg max.

Last edited:
No new FR10 owner yet? Not even one review to be found except from a matrix guy on their FB site. They posted they are sending them out since a week or so.

No new FR10 owner yet? Not even one review to be found except from a matrix guy on their FB site. They posted they are sending them out since a week or so.

There have been a lot more people going for the FR12 than the FR10 and they aren't just going out to the Fractal guys but Kemper and Helix users so any reviews (if they take the time to) may well be scattered around.

Looking at the specs again, the FR10 is only a couple inches shorter and just 7.9 lbs lighter. That's not enough of a difference to matter. The FR12 is already small and super light - it weighs less than the NEO wedge CLR.

@MicFarlow - what are the dimensions and weight of your 1x12 active wedge? It wasn't listed on the site.

Looking at the specs again, the FR10 is only a couple inches shorter and just 7.9 lbs lighter. That's not enough of a difference to matter. The FR12 is already small and super light - it weighs less than the NEO wedge CLR.

@MicFarlow - what are the dimensions and weight of your 1x12 active wedge? It wasn't listed on the site.

8 lbs lighter and two thirds of the FR12s size matters enough for me.
As you asked for Xitone specs: I asked the same question a few days ago, you will find the answer and more in this thread:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/size-me-weight-of-the-xitone-active-wedge.113280/

He uses Matrix amps in his cabinets, right? I would like his gear a bit lighter, but on the other hand it seems to be built like a tank. Didn't Matrix build the FR10 and FR12s cabs with poplar, not birch wood - which should save some weight also.

As you asked for Xitone specs: I asked the same question a few days ago, you will find the answer and more in this thread:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/size-me-weight-of-the-xitone-active-wedge.113280/

He uses Matrix amps in his cabinets, right? I would like his gear a bit lighter, but on the other hand it seems to be built like a tank. Didn't Matrix build the FR10 and FR12s cabs with poplar, not birch wood - which should save some weight also.

Yes it's Italian Poplar. The speakers we use in the FR212 are Neos but the Birch cabinet in that still accounts for a lot of the weight so to be truly lightweight, you need to also look at the cab construction.

Regarding the size, for me the fact that the footprint is no different means it doesn't save me anything. The FR12 is already compact enough and easy to carry one handed.

Regarding the size, for me the fact that the footprint is no different means it doesn't save me anything. The FR12 is already compact enough and easy to carry one handed.

Are you keeping it or are you going for the FR10? Or look for something else like 10" Xitones maybe?
Any new thoughts on the FR12 you want to share? There are just two user reviews I read so far...

Disregard that. I thought about it and decided I'd like to give the FR10 a shot. - smaller and lighter is still a plus.

I received my two FR12s a couple of days ago and I'm running them in stereo. My initial reaction is that they're pretty fantastic. Loud. Very loud. Seem to be really good quality. The bass on your Axe-Fx presets really needs to be reigned in or it won't handle well, but when it's clear, it's clear. I've never played a CLR, but these speakers are good enough that I don't think I feel a need to go investigating further.

I have one annoyance and it's regarding stereo setups -- I'm not sure there is a good solution for controlling your master volume with a stereo setup. Changing the volume on the speakers from the back is not practical, especially considering the volumes need to be matched (both speakers) with every slight change. I've heard that the Axe-Fx should run at higher output as a rule, so using the Axe-Fx output knob doesn't seem to be a prudent solution to master volume and I'm not sure if there is a way to introduce a master volume control between the Axe-Fx and these powered speakers (anyone have an idea?). If I can't come up with a decent solution for this, I may have to go with the GT1000FX and passive speakers in order to have a meaningful and accessible master volume.

To recap -- Great speakers. Loud, clear, good sound. Master volume control for stereo seems to be an issue when running straight from a modeler unless I am missing something simple.

I've heard that the Axe-Fx should run at higher output as a rule, so using the Axe-Fx output knob doesn't seem to be a prudent solution to master volume and I'm not sure if there is a way to introduce a master volume control between the Axe-Fx and these powered speakers (anyone have an idea?).
Master volume control for stereo seems to be an issue when running straight from a modeler unless I am missing something simple.
It's okay to set the monitor volume fairly high (or as high as you expect to go), and use the output volume of the Axe Fx as the master.

Replied to you message John but as mentioned in the previous post, set the volume on the monitor high and use the Axe Fx volume as a master. Lots of other ways to tweak volumes on the fly as well, like assigning a volume up and down footswitch on a controller or setting patches level using Vu meters.

Back
Top Bottom