So I got my Matrix FR12...

I've tried it in another outlet, and also with a power conditioner. It doesn't sound like an AC issue. It definitely sounds like it's being generated by the amp module. I'm sure that I can't be the only one who is experiencing this problem.
Hiss like that is usually AC trouble. If Matrix said the new FW helps but you hear no difference it is coming from something else. My Ax hisses. How much it hisses depends on where I am playing ect. The his is never when I am playing (except playing my acoustic in one particular place where the his is as loud as my signal)

...... could be!
'll try plugging it in at a different house. I just wanted to see if any other Matrix owners had the same problem.

My FR10 has the same hiss. Before I bought last summer, I read EVERY post on the web about the FR10/12, and a lot of people talked about the hiss. The conclusion that I took from reading those posts was that it does a have low level hiss inherent to the circuitry, but it's not a problem in real life playing. Sure enough, when I got mine, it was there. As soon as I flick on the power, there is a low level hiss, kinda like some old radios or phonographs I had as a kid. It's not a problem for me, it just let me knows the unit is powered-up. Soon as we start playing it's gone and not noticeable at all. I'm all electric so that could be a part of it. If playing super soft acoustic it might still be there. While the idea of it -- a low hiss -- bothers me, in practice it's so low it doesn't bother me, and I pretty much don't even notice it anymore. I've never heard anyone else comment on it. Overall, I love the FR10. So light and sounds great. Hiss non-issue for me. Having said that, if they get rid of it with a firmware, I'd be happy to delete hiss.

Hmm that's interesting! I have always had valve amps, and have never had any problems with excessive hissing.... and that is old technology! It just doesn't seem right that it's there as soon as I switch the amp on without anything connected. A real shame as the FR12 sounds fantastic.

Also, I've got a FR10 which has a little less power (and bass) than the FR12. I wonder if it's more noticeable on the 12?

If anyone is still looking for a padded cover for the FR12, I will sell mine. Padded clamshell from slipcovers. It's brand new. I sold my Axe FX so no need for the FR12, which is also for sale. I listed them together but will sell the cab separate if I can get rid of the cover.
Sells for $140. I will sell it for $110 includes shipping in USA only.

I also heard thats a general issue with the matrix amps is there low level hiss. That really concerns me because I do a lot of softer jazz gigs with a nice warm clean tone, if there is a hiss at lower playing levels that could be a deal breaker.

If anyone is still looking for a padded cover for the FR12, I will sell mine. Padded clamshell from slipcovers. It's brand new. I sold my Axe FX so no need for the FR12, which is also for sale. I listed them together but will sell the cab separate if I can get rid of the cover.
Sells for $140. I will sell it for $110 includes shipping in USA only.
Is the fr12 still for sale?

So I used the FR10 at rehearsal last night. I cranked up the FR10 volume and just used the Output 1 level on the AX8 as the master volume control. I ended up with the AX8 volume at straight up noon and was able to keep up with the band. When I nudged it closer to one it was a little too much when I was standing in front of it but it was a better mix overall. So I think the FR10 would be fine to fill a small club as well as being a good backline cab to fill the stage and run to FOH to fill the room. Even though I think it will do it, I would still like to test the theory that it'll fill a small club - I think I'll take it to an open mic to experiment.

Hippietim, did you try if it can carry the room in a small club?
I really like the idea of the FR10/12, but we play a lot of gigs where only vocals go through the PA, so it's important for me to know if it has enough grunt.

Hippietim, did you try if it can carry the room in a small club?
I really like the idea of the FR10/12, but we play a lot of gigs where only vocals go through the PA, so it's important for me to know if it has enough grunt.

I'm sure it could but I highly recommend spending a couple hundred extra dollars and getting the CLR- it is appreciably better

Back
Top Bottom