Understanding Input Drive and Overdrive

When John Petrucci used the Mark IV, he put the Lead Drive (= Overdrive) to 10 (= max). Source: The Official John Petrucci Web Site, specifically: http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/gear/TopMK4Settings.jpg

However, I tried these settings out, and they sounded muddy as hell. Back off bass to below 2.

He had 2 Mark IVs in his rack at that time, with the second one having a setting of 7.5 for the Lead Drive (Overdrive):

bottomMK4Settings.jpg

This one could have been for his rhythm tone, or (as a speculation that I read suggested), could have also been used for lead playing in conjunction with a Tube Screamer type drive pedal in front.

Last night after seeing that same picture of Petrucci's settings, I also tried putting the Overdrive at 10.00, but it was too much gain, even for me (especially too much gain since I at first forgot to first turn the Input Trim in the Amp block back down to it's default setting). :mrgreen

Cool explanation Laz... and that's what I have found at least with the Triptik. Even though that sim was modled after the modern voice, prior to 10.10 I was running the (Input trim) in the advanced tab all the way down to get more of a classic vibe. The way that I understand it is that the input trim does not effect the tone of the amp sim in any way just input level from the guitar, like having a lower output pickup.

As that parameter is defaulted at 1.00 that took a lot of the hair off of the pre distortion and let me run it with a higher master setting and gave it a more raw rip your head off sound. The new mapping has added the parameter that you have posted about which gives even more control in tuning in or out what you want and only required a small tweak for me to regain what I had in 10.09.

thanks

I was a bona fide "Dumblehead" for years.

Very expensive addiction.

I am so glad I am over that.

Definitely going to hold off for awhile before updating. The Fryette is the heart of almost all of my patches... I'm excited, but don't have time to re-work everything.

Yeah it's a lot different now. My ears are shot from tweaking for two hours on the wahs, so I'll l pick up again tomorrow to get that magic back.

Regarding Bass-Knob and MesaBoogie Lead-Channel MK2/Mk3/Mk4 etc. Amps: I have a very popular mod for all Mesa-Players - I put a trimmer with a relais switch parallel to the bass pot, the relais contacts closing, when switching the lead channel on. With the trimmer you set the amount of bass you want in the lead channel because all of those amps have set their tonestack "pre gain" and tend to be muddy on higher values in the lead channel (the mod is very easy to install and does not affect the front design of the amp - I have many happy customers working with that mod). Mesa, Dumble and others using their clean channel fully functionable to drive the following (dual triode) OD-stages - so it depends a lot what you dial in on your clean channel. Mk4 amps have their own tonestack in the lead channel, but it's still a pre-gain tonestack ;)

In my early days, I hated the boogie concept, but since 1997 I'm very much boogie addicted - playing my two (!!) studio preamps (with some of my own custom made mods in there - one of those became my new Dumbleized Recording Preamp - sounding 95-97% close to the S/N 213 ODS, Cliff owns) live and for recording. Since I got an AxeFx II, I guess I gonna sell one of them..... :D

cheers
Paco

I did the update - everything sounded great . My Dumble patch sounded the same. I will crank her up over the next day or two and take a closer listen - however my patches are fairly simple and straight forward -- nothing exotic or fancy so I do not expect any surprises.

gain=7
Drive=7 is working great for me on the USA lead Models.
I add a Tubescreamer for leads and this is actually pretty spot on as to how I ran my real Mark IV when I had it.

I did the update - everything sounded great . My Dumble patch sounded the same. I will crank her up over the next day or two and take a closer listen - however my patches are fairly simple and straight forward -- nothing exotic or fancy so I do not expect any surprises.

LVC,

Your info on this thread has been great. Was wondering if you'd share your Dumble patch on AxeChange.

Thanks
is this your way to answer to a helpful post? Instead of complaining, you could learn something - if you're not willing to learn, post somewhere else!

What a low sense of humor that you have! :mask: :disgust: :miserable: :-x

I am very sorry.

Actually, it's you who is complaining. I am having a LOT of FUN with the Axe-FX since the Standard Version was released. Not only with the machine itself, but with the good spirit and humor that normally prevails on this forum :frog:

Last edited:
someone clarify this for me - on the triaxis, there were two gain controls....one on the left called "gain" and the "drive" control (one for lead 1 and one for lead 2), which mesa suggested setting the same as gain, or slightly lower. now which way round are these in the axe?

is "gain" on the triaxis the same as input drive in the axe?

is this your way to answer to a helpful post? Instead of complaining, you could learn something - if you're not willing to learn, post somewhere else!

He he ironic, since Piing is the guy who setup the original Axe-Fx forum back when Fractal Audio was starting and didn't have their own host.

someone clarify this for me - on the triaxis, there were two gain controls....one on the left called "gain" and the "drive" control (one for lead 1 and one for lead 2), which mesa suggested setting the same as gain, or slightly lower. now which way round are these in the axe?

is "gain" on the triaxis the same as input drive in the axe?

That sounds right to me. Input drive should give you the edgy, more aggressive gain, and overdrive should give you the fatter, full spectrum gain.

Back
Top Bottom