Understanding Input Drive and Overdrive

Hate it,everything was fine with FW 10.09,Now my high gain amps sound like S**T,no saturation,way to much treble,absolutely horrible.Is it possible to revert back?

Hate it,everything was fine with FW 10.09,Now my high gain amps sound like S**T,no saturation,way to much treble,absolutely horrible.
If you preset's tone is affected, reset the amp block. Either that, or check Overdrive level. Dial in Overdrive and Input Drive. You'll get your tone back.

Is it possible to revert back?
You can load up any firmware version you like.

Hate it,everything was fine with FW 10.09,Now my high gain amps sound like S**T,no saturation,way to much treble,absolutely horrible.Is it possible to revert back?

yes. just reload 10.09 the same way as you did 10.10.

Do you mean input trim?Im using ax edit ah,cant even tell you the version all it sez is beta.....

it sounds like this is the reason your tones don't sound right. it is a beta version and may not work well with the latest firmware. also, input trim is not what he means. maybe this confusion is making it difficult for you to create tones in 10.10.

What exactly in this update could affect all of your high gain amps that much??

And please define exactly what amps you have problems with.

If those are the Usa lead, or fryette deliverance or the Ods or the Carol ann's, then set the new controll "Overdrive" in the preamp tab in the amp block to 8.00.
USE THE FRONT PANEL! This new controll is NOT in Axe edit.

The new"Input drive" in the preamp tab is exactly the same as the old "Drive".

Last edited:
New feature for Axe III:
Graphic interface of the actual amp being modelled with accompanying knob names.
AXE%20III.png

That would stop the confusion about what's what ;)

Setting Overdrive to 8.00 will give the identical response to pre-10.10 for all models with the Overdrive control.

Are those amps "re-MIMICed"? I ask, because i am wondering about the fact, that the taper of the overdrive parameter seems to react the same way on all Amps? Thought the target for MIMIC was also, that the tapers of the sim react identical to their actual counterpart.... ? Is this the case?

New feature for Axe III:
Graphic interface of the actual amp being modelled with accompanying knob names.
AXE%20III.png

That would stop the confusion about what's what ;)

I'm miss the "Do it" and "F*** it" knobs we had on an earlier version of the Axe III ;)

This is likely the cause of your problems. Axe-Edit is not recommended for use with 10.10.
Which is exactly why I am still on 10.09. Axe-Edit Beta seems to be working fairly nicely right now. I can live without the new amp, wahs, and the high gain changes for a while.

Do you mean input trim?Im using ax edit ah,cant even tell you the version all it sez is beta.....
the current public AE version does NOT work with 10.10. added/changed parameters (to the handful of amps) are NOT currently in AE. from here on it's frontpanel only ;)

Version 10.10 introduces a second drive control for some amp models. I've paraphrased the Fryette Deliverance manual as it explains it very clearly:

Input Drive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise. As the gain increases the tone is shifted from a treble and upper mid emphasis, which produces an up front sparkling tone, to a lower mid and bass emphasis, which produces a thick meaty tone.

Overdrive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise but with no alteration of the tonal balance. Different combinations of Input Drive and Overdrive settings will have a dramatic effect on the response of the amplifier and the personality of your instrument. It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.

This Input Drive and Overdrive explanation from Cliff has helped me yesterday so much to improve on my preset setup, that it has made my preset more smoother gain. I have applied it on Mesa Orange Modern and Bogner Ubershall dual amp preset.
Thanking Fractal for all the efforts and making such a powerful Rig. I am very happy today, I have spent almost more than 6 months on my preset and planning to enter studio for recording of my songs and I think I have achieved the satisfactory sound for my Rhythm guitar (Dual Amp setup).

Love you FRACTAL !!!
DriZZlerock

Back
Top Bottom