Understanding Input Drive and Overdrive

According to AustinBuddy, the owner of the modeled Bludotone Ojai, the MV setting does make a difference, because of its bright cap (making the tone thinner when lowering MV).

According to AustinBuddy, the owner of the modeled Bludotone Ojai, the MV setting does make a difference, because of its bright cap (making the tone thinner when lowering MV).

I have played the Ojai.

Ojai is a different beast -- not a traditional D amp.

The Ojai is a clone of an amp Dumble specifically made for Robben ford. Brandon named it the Ojai because Robben Ford lives in Ojai California.

To actually use the amp you need special cables (high capacidence) to use with the dumbulator to tame the highs.

The amp is basically unplayable without that setup (unless it is modified)

With respect to bright caps in general and some D amps -- basically if you play at low volumes you don't need a bright cap (many D amp cloners give you an option to turn it on/off). If you play loud (gig etc) then you might want to have a bright cap (really depends on the D style/era (70/s,80's,90's) and overall amp voicing (Bluesmaster, Skyliner etc)

Last edited:
So is the 10.09 advanced amp block input level parameter still there too? Making for 3 adjustable preamp oriented level controls in 10.10?

I have owned a lot D style amps which basically have Gain (input) and Drive -- so let me try and explain it in terms of tone

If you are going for Sweetness (basically a fairly clean tone with a light stroke but a singing bite when you dig in (think Larry Carlton) you want your input gain (volume) low (lets say in the 9 o'clock range) and your drive to taste (11-1 range)

If you are going for a creamier tone (lets say Santana) you increase the input (vol) past noon -- set drive to taste (1-3 plus range)

Basically the input gain and drive are interactive in shaping the overall tone with a classic stack

With an HRM (D style amps) -- the OD has an independent EQ but functions in the same way

Cool explanation Laz... and that's what I have found at least with the Triptik. Even though that sim was modled after the modern voice, prior to 10.10 I was running the (Input trim) in the advanced tab all the way down to get more of a classic vibe. The way that I understand it is that the input trim does not effect the tone of the amp sim in any way just input level from the guitar, like having a lower output pickup.

As that parameter is defaulted at 1.00 that took a lot of the hair off of the pre distortion and let me run it with a higher master setting and gave it a more raw rip your head off sound. The new mapping has added the parameter that you have posted about which gives even more control in tuning in or out what you want and only required a small tweak for me to regain what I had in 10.09.

The way that I understand it is that the input trim does not effect the tone of the amp sim in any way just input level from the guitar, like having a lower output pickup.
yes exactly. this is not so much a "toneshaping" parameter as the newly added Input Drive, but more, like you said, "simulating" less output from you guitar going into the amp. it's not that common to be found on real amps, as the new Input Drive is. the addition of Input Drive just takes it one step closer to the real deal.

The Ojai is a clone of an amp Dumble specifically made for Robben ford. Brandon named it the Ojai because Robben Ford lives in Ojai California.

LOL! Goes to show how much I pay attention. I thought that amp was named after a guy in the band "Animals As Leaders". I thought his name was Ojai-something. :)

No wonder I didn't think it sounded heavy enough. :)

LOL! Goes to show how much I pay attention. I thought that amp was named after a guy in the band "Animals As Leaders". I thought his name was Ojai-something. :)

No wonder I didn't think it sounded heavy enough. :)

:)Tosin ( Animals As Leaders ) Abasi doesnt have an " Amp " to model , as far as I know he uses just AXE-FX - we could have a Tosin patch though that would be coowul .
On topic, I cant wait to get home and try out the new drives and what not .

Last edited:
yes exactly. this is not so much a "toneshaping" parameter as the newly added Input Drive, but more, like you said, "simulating" less output from you guitar going into the amp. it's not that common to be found on real amps, as the new Input Drive is. the addition of Input Drive just takes it one step closer to the real deal.

Was wondering how these parameters were going to be affected. Hopefully they work just as you posted.

Version 10.10 introduces a second drive control for some amp models. I've paraphrased the Fryette Deliverance manual as it explains it very clearly:

Input Drive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise. As the gain increases the tone is shifted from a treble and upper mid emphasis, which produces an up front sparkling tone, to a lower mid and bass emphasis, which produces a thick meaty tone.

Overdrive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise but with no alteration of the tonal balance. Different combinations of Input Drive and Overdrive settings will have a dramatic effect on the response of the amplifier and the personality of your instrument. It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.

Question:
given that the input-drive is assignable to a modifier and overdrive is not
does this now mean that it's not possible to 'clean' the tones of the amps that contain these two parms via a modifier?

because I'm guessing that the assigned modifier will alter the voicing of the input signal rather than the amount of gain

Answered my own question:
I can still clean the tone

Last edited:
Is the drive ONLY available on the "amp type" page? And are drive and Input drive suppose to turn together? Seems like a modifier attached or something......I don't know how to remove this without AE.

Is the drive ONLY available on the "amp type" page? And are drive and Input drive suppose to turn together? Seems like a modifier attached or something......I don't know how to remove this without AE.

Drive and Input Drive are the same thing. There isn't room to put "Input Drive" on that first page.

Drive and Input Drive are the same thing. There isn't room to put "Input Drive" on that first page.

I'm kind of over thinking here, which is making me confused. Your notes.....
For Mesa Mark series and Triaxis:
Gain = Input Drive
Drive = Overdrive

For Dumble-style amps:
Preamp Volume = Input Drive
Overdrive Drive = Overdrive

For TripTik
Input Level = Input Drive
Drive = Overdrive

For Fryette Deliverance
Gain1 = Input Drive
Gain2 = Overdrive

I'm messing with the Deliverance right now, and there isn't a overdrive control, UNLESS, you mean a OD block? I'm used to using Input trim, is this OD?

I'm kind of over thinking here, which is making me confused. Your notes.....
For Mesa Mark series and Triaxis:
Gain = Input Drive
Drive = Overdrive

For Dumble-style amps:
Preamp Volume = Input Drive
Overdrive Drive = Overdrive

For TripTik
Input Level = Input Drive
Drive = Overdrive

For Fryette Deliverance
Gain1 = Input Drive
Gain2 = Overdrive

I'm messing with the Deliverance right now, and there isn't a overdrive control, UNLESS, you mean a OD block? I'm used to using Input trim, is this OD?

The Overdrive knob is the far right knob on the second page of the menu. It's labeled "OVER-DRIVE".

The Overdrive knob is the far right knob on the second page of the menu. It's labeled "OVER-DRIVE".

Hmmm......okay so I'm not over thinking it. For some reason I don't see this. Maybe install again?

2nd page for me is the normal, pre, depth, dyn pres, dyn depth, mstr, level.

Hmmm......okay so I'm not over thinking it. For some reason I don't see this. Maybe install again?

2nd page for me is the normal, pre, depth, dyn pres, dyn depth, mstr, level.

That's the third page. It's on the page labeled "PRE".

Back
Top Bottom