My covers band patches

simeon

Axe-Master
i did this when i had an Ultra and it seemed quite popular, so i'm doing it again for the II - firmware version 6.02

firstly - i'm not bothered trying to replicate tones exactly...we do tons of songs, so these patches form a broad range of tones that are generally useful. there are a couple of sounds that are song specific and i'll list those below.

secondly, i have my external controllers set up like this...

external 1 - continuous control pedal for volume
external 2 - continuous control pedal for wah, formant filter, leslie rate etc
external 3 - switch for extra delay
external 4 - switch for chorus
external 5 - switch for rhythm gain boost
external 6 - switch for lead boost
external 7 - switch for phaser

this goes across all patches, unless otherwise stated. some switches may do more than one thing - the lead boost will usually increase gain, level, delay and reverb, for example

thirdly - i use two outputs from my guitar - mag pickups go in the front (input 1 left) and piezo saddles go in the back (input 1 right). the volume block at the beginning of each layout selects the input to be used in that patch

what you get...

5153 - this is as heavy as i get. controller 2 is for formant, which i use for Livin' On A Prayer. hit external 6 for an amazing lead tone
AC30 - for the U2 tunes Still Haven't Found (external 3) and Streets Have No Name (external 4 + adds a slight volume boost too). shimmer on external 7
Acoustic - i use this with my graphtech saddles - input 1 right, round the back - external 7 adds a long reverb
Buttery Lead - a nice juicy mid gain lead. external 4 for rotary, external 6 for reverse crystals
Clean - my main clean patch
JCM800 - for when we play the rock. enough said!
Kossoff - not very Kossoff-y, but i haven't quite nailed this one yet. still, nice for bluesy stuff. external 4 switches between wah and leslie rate for external 2
Marshall lead - used with bridge humbucker mostly
Mesa lead - used with single coils mostly
Plexi 2 - just on the edge of breakup with single coils - used for Sweet Home Alabama
Plexi Funk - another on the edge of breakup, but brighter. good with single coils for funk, or bridge humbucker for mid gain rock. the envelope filter on external 4 needs tweaking, btw

i have a few other song-specific patches for Kayleigh and The Boys Are Back in Town etc, but these 11 patches are good all round general use ones.

these have been tweaked over many months of gigging every weekend, so are all volume matched to the level we play at

i use two RCFNX-10sma's on stage from output 1 and feed the PA from output 2. they also sound great on my studio monitors.

if you don't have your externals mapped to anything, you can still turn them on and off by going to I/O > Midi and scrolling down to where the Ext Ctrl Init Values are and changing them from 0 to 100. 0 is off, 100 is on. if you get no sound from these, turn external 1 to 100.

enjoy!

http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/Sim_Presets.zip

Flipping awesome... On behalf of the whole forum (Im sure) ;) Thanks.

Cant wait to try them out. especially the Funk presets. havent managed to get a good funk tone yet on my II

I've been using those envelope filter settings in one of my filter presets since you posted the Ultra version. :)

I've been using those envelope filter settings in one of my filter presets since you posted the Ultra version. :)

ha! cool!

the envelope filter here is not quite right. i just keep forgetting to tweak it. i think lowering the "start" value and also reducing the Q value might help. i think the curve needs to look more "logarithmic"...it's too flat at the moment. if i hit on something good, i'll post the block.

Wow, nice!! Thanks!

But, I couldn't help see you mention Boys Are Back In Town... I realize this is like being a small kid asking Father Christmas for one more gift even though you had enough already, but I'm struggling to get a good Lizzy tone since it's one of my all time favourite bands... What amp do you use for that preset?
I know they don't use crazy amount of gain, and somehow I always end up with too much, but if I back down on it, the tone seems too harsh. Any hints?

One of the sides in the Cab block in the Plexi 2 links to an user cab so the sound may not be correct.

ah yes, this was my ir of the 30w cab in the ultra - just replace with factory cab number 64 (30w ultra)

also there is a user cab in the acoustic patch - it's the fishman orchestra 03 - i've attached it here...

Attachments

• Fish Orch03.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 219
i should also say, i'm not too keen on the mesa lead patch...it's a bit too bright for my taste. i still haven't ben able to recreate the patch i had in the ultra, which i was really happy with and was based on the triaxis lead 2 red channel, so i've been messing with lots of different mesa sims over the last few months

i'm working on another one at the moment, which sounds pretty nice. i'll test it tonight and if it's rockin', i'll post it here tomorrow

Thanks for sharing Simeon.
Seeing how you use the external controllers a lot, Im now wondering what foot controller you have.
Also, you have got me thinking about how I would use these (ext ctrl's) with my MFC-101 in Axe-fx mode (without loosing other IA switches :lol)
If you would not mind breaking your rig down, I would appreciate it.

Nothing special, just a Yamaha mfc-10. It has a "function" mode that calls up a special bank of switches which I have assigned to the externals.

Thank you for your wonderful gifts. It is greatly appreciated. I am truly honored to be a member of this forum. I know this sounds corny as hell but it is a privilege to listen to the gifts that you and other remarkable musicians create and share.

Thanks for sharing Simeon. It's going to be fun and educational going through them in the morning. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom