My covers band patches

thanks mate. still a work in progress really...when i posted the ultra patches, i'd had over year working on them, so they were pretty well sorted, but these still need a little tweaking to my ears. it's good to know they translate to other people's gear though...

tried my new mesa lead patch last night and it was pretty good...one more tweak and test tonight and maybe i'll have it, at long last! :)

Hi, thanks for some great presets. Im not quite sure I understand the externals. I never had to turn externals on before in order to get a sound from a preset. I have found here that I need to turn Ext 1 and 2 in I/O on to get a decent sound. So far I have just been trying them through headphones. I use a Behringer 1101 MIDI controller, does anyone know how to program the externals to work with this? Thanks!

Hi, thanks for some great presets. Im not quite sure I understand the externals. I never had to turn externals on before in order to get a sound from a preset. I have found here that I need to turn Ext 1 and 2 in I/O on to get a decent sound. So far I have just been trying them through headphones. I use a Behringer 1101 MIDI controller, does anyone know how to program the externals to work with this? Thanks!

you shouldn't need to turn on ext2 - that's for wah, mostly. external 1 is tied to the volume block after the cab. if nothing is connected to external 1, then it defaults to a value of zero, so you get no sound. setting it to 100 in the I/O > midi page solves this, as you have found.

do you mean the digitech 1101? or the behringer 1010?

what you need to do is program it so that some of the buttons put out controller data, rather than program change data. pick the numbers 1-10 for the controller numbers. off value should be zero and on should be 127 - and they should be latching. link those to externals 3-7 in the axe. i have 1 and 2 tied to continuous controller pedals

Wow, nice!! Thanks!

But, I couldn't help see you mention Boys Are Back In Town... I realize this is like being a small kid asking Father Christmas for one more gift even though you had enough already, but I'm struggling to get a good Lizzy tone since it's one of my all time favourite bands... What amp do you use for that preset?
I know they don't use crazy amount of gain, and somehow I always end up with too much, but if I back down on it, the tone seems too harsh. Any hints?

dude, so sorry...i missed this.

i use the plexi and the jcm800

i can't say my patch is tonally very close, but you're welcome to it...

external 5 turns on the pitch block (and a bunch of other stuff) for the main harmonised riff. the keyboard player does the solo section with me, so i just hit external 6 for a slight volume boost and to centre the stereo image.

you'll need to set up custom scale number 1 in the global pages like this...

A -5
A♯ -5
B -5
C -4
C♯ -4
D -3
D♯ -3
E -3
F -4
F♯ -4
G -5
G♯ -5

the part to play is the one that starts on A, not F sharp, as the harmony generated is the lower of the two parts

i did have a version that allowed me to do the solo section as well, using a cc pedal to switch scales as needed, but it was a bit too complicated and they keyboard player likes having something to do in this tune :)

Attachments

• Boys Are Back.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 107
Hi, thanks for the reply. If I dont turn on ext 2 it sounds really bad, almost like wah is on. Dont know why. I mean the Behringer 1010, Ive never worked out how to use it! Maybe I will look at getting the Yamaha pedal if it is easy to use.

Thanks so much Simeon for sharing your patches! It took me a while to realize that I had to change the Scale from .1000 to 1.0 and the offset from -100% to 0.0 for the externals to work properly on my set up. After that and then reprogramming my MFC, it sounded awesome. I really like this approach and I'm learning a lot from them! Thanks again!!

dude, so sorry...i missed this.

i use the plexi and the jcm800

i can't say my patch is tonally very close, but you're welcome to it...

external 5 turns on the pitch block (and a bunch of other stuff) for the main harmonised riff. the keyboard player does the solo section with me, so i just hit external 6 for a slight volume boost and to centre the stereo image.

you'll need to set up custom scale number 1 in the global pages like this...

A -5
A♯ -5
B -5
C -4
C♯ -4
D -3
D♯ -3
E -3
F -4
F♯ -4
G -5
G♯ -5

the part to play is the one that starts on A, not F sharp, as the harmony generated is the lower of the two parts

i did have a version that allowed me to do the solo section as well, using a cc pedal to switch scales as needed, but it was a bit too complicated and they keyboard player likes having something to do in this tune :)

Aha, you incorporated the harmony parts in the preset! Cool, I'll check it out later...
And I'd also like to mention that the other presets were simply great! Especially 5153, Buttery and Mesa Lead. A minimum of tweaking for my gear and I'm in tonal bliss. Thanks!

I can't thank you enough, Simeon. The Mesa Lead blows me away. That ought to cut through the mix with my cover band! These are just superlative.

Simien- do I need to change each external controller's PC RST to on, so when I change patches the external ctrlers will go to the saved patch state?

Great presets btw!!

Simien- do I need to change each external controller's PC RST to on, so when I change patches the external ctrlers will go to the saved patch state?

Great presets btw!!

the external controller's default state is set in I/O > midi. not sure about PC RST. this should be easy to test though, shouldn't it? :)

if you do't have a midi board set up with some ia switches linked to the externals, then i might be inclined to strip out the controller assignments and save the patch in the state you want it to be in when you load it. you could make several copies with different blocks enabled....

Back
Top Bottom