Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

What happened between this post:
My Redsound active cab came in today. They had sent me two passives so I sent one back.

Boy I hooked it up tonight and I’m in heaven. My wife says there’s no comparing my headrush frfr to these nor my real tube AC10. She told me to sell off the AC10 and pedals as my ax8 and Elis 8’s are light years ahead.
And this one?
Just a sidenote -- I found my RS Elis 8 Active monitor wouldn't power properly through my wall outlet or basic surge plugged into wall outlet.
It would make a huge humming noise even if the volume was off. The noise was deafening so I knew something was wrong with the power.

Per your own post the speakers worked correctly before. Suggest carefully checking all your cables and connections (power and XLR cables from your AX8).

Just instrumentals.

With the dismal amount of money most bar gigs pay I’m also looking into live streaming to see if I can make just as much as bars working out of my home studio.

No travelling, no bad weather conditions, no theft/damage to equipment, no harassment or violence, no hiring security/police. Basically, far less overhead.

It may be a viable solution until I can build enough experience to get hired at big payday private events down the road.
You go @dsouza ! Please post links for the stream. I would like to v-attend!

What happened between this post:

And this one?

Per your own post the speakers worked correctly before. Suggest carefully checking all your cables and connections (power and XLR cables from your AX8).

No I just didn't complain about the power source. I overlooked it as I already had it solved with my power supply.

All my cables are brand new and fine. I have two XLR's going from output 1 into my Scarlet 2i2 into pc daw.

I have two humbuster cables going from output 1 , 1/4 inch to the input L and R of the active RS speaker.

Finally I have the joining power cable connecting the active to the passive.

I never had problems powering this way when I had the headrush speakers. But with the RS there's that huge buzzing hum unless I plug the power chord into my Cyberpower supply. The loud hum happens even if I don't have the passive speaker attached. It happens with the Active one. The loud hum happens even if my AX8 is not attached. Just plugging in the power into the Active speaker and turning it on.

Anyways there is no real problem unless I don't have access to my cyberpower power supply and I can always cart one with me as I need it to plug equipment into anyways. It's a huge surge protector and battery recharger.

My RS ELis 8's seem to be running smooth as silk connected to it. Maybe a faulty power cable? My Cyber power supply is capable of handling multiple voltage types. RS use exact same voltage in Italy as Canada? Maybe Cosmo music shipped with Italy power cable? Different than Canadian voltage. They imported bulk Elis 8 from RS into Canada in time for black friday. That could be why.

I will talk to them and find out. It is definitely power source related not ax8 connection related as it happens just plugging the active speaker into wall and turning it on!

Last edited:
I think I found the cause of your issue:

According to the Elis8 manual, they should be connected to the “2x Balanced Input with TRS or XLR Female connectors”

You connected them through the 1/4” output connections of the AX8, as far as I know, these are Unbalanced. It does not matter if you use the humbuster cables.

Using the balanced signal from the AX8 to the Elis8 will prevent hum. Now you may have found a workaround using the Cyberpower device but this does not resolve the source of the problem of using the incorrect output.

Suggest connecting the Elis8 using the balanced XLR cables that you now use for your Scarlet interface. If that works you know all is fine with your Elis8 speakers.

Edit: your Scarlet has balanced outputs that you can use for connecting the Elis8 using TRS or TRS to XLR cables. Do not use the humbuster cables for this.

Last edited:
I think I found the cause of your issue:

According to the Elis8 manual, they should be connected to the “2x Balanced Input with TRS or XLR Female connectors”

You connected them through the 1/4” output connections of the AX8, as far as I know, these are Unbalanced. It does not matter if you use the humbuster cables.

Using the balanced signal from the AX8 to the Elis8 will prevent hum. Now you may have found a workaround using the Cyberpower device but this does not resolve the source of the problem of using the incorrect output.

Suggest connecting the Elis8 using the balanced XLR cables that you now use for your Scarlet interface. If that works you know all is fine with your Elis8 speakers.

Edit: your Scarlet has balanced outputs that you can use for connecting the Elis8 using TRS or TRS to XLR cables. Do not use the humbuster cables for this.

Didn't make a difference!

Connected with XLR cables from AX8 to L and R Active Elis 8 input.. Still humming loud when connected to normal outlet.

Connected with REAL TRS to TRS balanced 1/4 cables to L and R Active Elis 8 input. Still humming loud when connected to normal outlet.

Disconnected everything and just powered on the Active elis 8 (only the power cable into wall)... Still humming loud.

Re-connected my old setup, two 1/4 cables going from AX8 L and R into Elis 8 Active L & R and connected power to my CYBERPOWER Power supply surge protector and voila NO hum whatsoever.. DEAD quiet... And that is WHETHER OR NOT I connect the AX8 to it. Just plugging in the Active Elis 8 with power cord into the Cyberpower eliminates the hum completely. One step further, connecting to the AX8 via 1/4 inch humbuster and DEAD SILENCE and BEAUTIFUL SOUND.

So I've concluded only 3 things it could be. 1) A faulty outlet. 2) Different voltage required for the power cable (Redsound is from Italy and Europe is different voltage than Canada) the CYBERPOWER handles voltages around the world. 3) A faulty Redsound power cord.

That's all it could be. I will talk to the guys at Cosmo Music about the power cord , if it works in Canada or it's European based, or whether or not I can get a NEW power cord sent to me free just in case it is a defective one.

That's all folks!
D

Ok, very strange indeed.
Did you try to eliminate the outlet by trying to plug into a different outlet in your home?
Power cords are rated for a large range and power in Italy is 230 which is more than the 120? V AC in Canada. And the Italian power plugs are completely different from the US/Canadian one so that cannot be a mixup.

Ok, very strange indeed.
Did you try to eliminate the outlet by trying to plug into a different outlet in your home?
Power cords are rated for a large range and power in Italy is 230 which is more than the 120? V AC in Canada. And the Italian power plugs are completely different from the US/Canadian one so that cannot be a mixup.

In Italy the standard voltage is 230 V and the frequency is 50 Hz. You cannot use your electric appliances in Italy without a voltage converter, because the standard voltage in Italy (230 V) is higher than in Canada (120 V). You can seriously damage your appliances. You need a voltage converter in Italy, when living in Canada!

Maybe the plugs fit the same but the voltage is much higher from Italy henceforth I need to use my Cyberpower surge protector battery backup to power the RS Elis 8's? I am going to call up Cosmo Music and ask them directly if that is a requirement and why they didn't tell me!

Have you tried plugging it in to wall power in another room? I would eliminate the wall socket power variable first. If it still does it try a friends or neighbours house. If it still hums contact support.
Didn't make a difference!

Connected with XLR cables from AX8 to L and R Active Elis 8 input.. Still humming loud when connected to normal outlet.

Connected with REAL TRS to TRS balanced 1/4 cables to L and R Active Elis 8 input. Still humming loud when connected to normal outlet.

Disconnected everything and just powered on the Active elis 8 (only the power cable into wall)... Still humming loud.

Re-connected my old setup, two 1/4 cables going from AX8 L and R into Elis 8 Active L & R and connected power to my CYBERPOWER Power supply surge protector and voila NO hum whatsoever.. DEAD quiet... And that is WHETHER OR NOT I connect the AX8 to it. Just plugging in the Active Elis 8 with power cord into the Cyberpower eliminates the hum completely. One step further, connecting to the AX8 via 1/4 inch humbuster and DEAD SILENCE and BEAUTIFUL SOUND.

So I've concluded only 3 things it could be. 1) A faulty outlet. 2) Different voltage required for the power cable (Redsound is from Italy and Europe is different voltage than Canada) the CYBERPOWER handles voltages around the world. 3) A faulty Redsound power cord.

That's all it could be. I will talk to the guys at Cosmo Music about the power cord , if it works in Canada or it's European based, or whether or not I can get a NEW power cord sent to me free just in case it is a defective one.

That's all folks!
D

In Italy the standard voltage is 230 V and the frequency is 50 Hz. You cannot use your electric appliances in Italy without a voltage converter, because the standard voltage in Italy (230 V) is higher than in Canada (120 V). You can seriously damage your appliances. You need a voltage converter in Italy, when living in Canada!

Maybe the plugs fit the same but the voltage is much higher from Italy henceforth I need to use my Cyberpower surge protector battery backup to power the RS Elis 8's? I am going to call up Cosmo Music and ask them directly if that is a requirement and why they didn't tell me!
You seem to be mixing up things, I reacted to your theory about the power cable.

Go check the back side of your Elis8, there should be a print / sticker of the power requirement.

In general, manufacturers have either a universal power supply like Fractal, or dedicated hardware for different regions.

When there would have been a mixup at the manufacturer and you would have received a unit intended for Europe it should run on 230V and I would expect it not to function properly.

Still recommend trying a different socket in your house or at somebody else to rule out your own socket.
If that does not work call Cosmo because your unit may be broken.

Just forget about the requirement to use the Cyberpower device, there should be no need for that.

Have you tried plugging it in to wall power in another room? I would eliminate the wall socket power variable first. If it still does it try a friends or neighbours house. If it still hums contact support.

I'll do this next before I contact support.

@Anthony76
@Jeronimo

Tried it in another outlet in a different room and voila no hum, dead quiet. So it was the outlet.

I will still plug into my cyber power supply because these surge protectors are the wave of the future and even offer 12 hr battery backup in case all power is lost in my condo.

Thanks for sorting this out guys! My active Eli’s 8 is working fine!

P.s For surge protection and battery backup I plug my WHOLE STUDIO into my cyber power. That’s includes my laptop, mackie monitors, AX8, and Redsound Eli’s 8’s matching cab pair.

That’s means even if all power is shut off in my city I can rock my studio for up to 12 hours…this helps in a gig environment too. No excuse to stop the show or damage your equipment if there’s a power surge. Highly recommend the cyberpower so much I bought two!

Last edited:
@Anthony76
@Jeronimo

Tried it in another outlet in a different room and voila no hum, dead quiet. So it was the outlet.

I will still plug into my cyber power supply because these surge protectors are the wave of the future and even offer 12 hr battery backup in case all power is lost in my condo.

P.s For surge protection and battery backup I plug my WHOLE STUDIO into my cyber power. That’s includes my laptop, mackie monitors, AX8, and Redsound Eli’s 8’s matching cab pair.

That’s means even if all power is shut off in my city I can rock my studio for up to 12 hours…this helps in a gig environment too. No excuse to stop the show or damage your equipment if there’s a power surge. Highly recommend the cyberpower so much I bought two!
Happy to hear that you found the problem. Now time to investigate what is causing the issue with power from that socket.

Just catching up on the hum thing. I have no idea. Ground loop hum would have been my guess.

The only noise issue I’ve had that took me a while to figure out was a bad hum in one room at home. The problem turned out to be the overhead lights - not the lights themselves but the wall switch was a dimmer switch vs. normal on/off switch.

Last edited:
Just catching up on the hum thing. I have no idea. Ground loop hum would have been my guess.

The only noise issue I’ve had that took me a while to figure out was a bad hum in one room at home. The problem turned out to be the overhead lights - not the lights themselves but the wall switch was a dimmer switch vs. normal on/off switch.

Funny thing is every other piece of equipment like my Vox AC10 tube amp, my Eventide Timefactor, my Line 6 verbzilla, and my Ibanez Tubescreamer 808, plug in nicely into that outlet, with or without an ordinary surge protector by G.E.

It's only when I use the RS Elis 8's in THAT outlet I have a problem. I live in a condo.. Maybe just be a grounding issue. Bottom line is it is not safe to plug it in there, and it could damage my RS active or catch it on fire.

I have never EVER had trouble plugging in less power intensive equipment into that outlet. The RS Elis 8 is a beast thought. At volume #2 I'm rocking my whole condo. I don't dare take it higher. I mean I am scared of getting evicted at Vol #2.

At Vol #1 it barely comes alive. So Vol #2 it is. I figure for a gig vol 5 would be plenty and still damage my ears if the monitors were too close to me.

@Anthony76
@Jeronimo

Just curious as to what model are your Cyberpower units? I have been looking at them lately.
Thanks

Just curious as to what model are your Cyberpower units? I have been looking at them lately.
Thanks

Not sure of the model #. Cyberpower 1000 VA AVR.

Mine has 11 outlets! All surge protected , many outlets with battery backup!

It has never failed me and runs 24 hrs a day!

Funny thing is every other piece of equipment like my Vox AC10 tube amp, my Eventide Timefactor, my Line 6 verbzilla, and my Ibanez Tubescreamer 808, plug in nicely into that outlet, with or without an ordinary surge protector by G.E.

It's only when I use the RS Elis 8's in THAT outlet I have a problem. I live in a condo.. Maybe just be a grounding issue. Bottom line is it is not safe to plug it in there, and it could damage my RS active or catch it on fire.

I have never EVER had trouble plugging in less power intensive equipment into that outlet. The RS Elis 8 is a beast thought. At volume #2 I'm rocking my whole condo. I don't dare take it higher. I mean I am scared of getting evicted at Vol #2.

At Vol #1 it barely comes alive. So Vol #2 it is. I figure for a gig vol 5 would be plenty and still damage my ears if the monitors were too close to me.
Run the Elis 8 at about 3 o’clock then use the output volume knob on the fractal to control your desired level.

Run the Elis 8 at about 3 o’clock then use the output volume knob on the fractal to control your desired level.
I prefer keeping my output knobs on the AX8 at MAX (recommended in ax8 manual especially for those who record) and setting the volume on my Eli’s 8’s lower. Also if I set the volume a bit too high on the Elis 8’s I can always reduce the volume knob on my guitar.

Do you see any problems with this strategy?

Back
Top Bottom