Any updates about G3fication of the remaining amps?

kavoo

Inspired
I hope that it won't be taken as some sort of impatience, but what about of the ~40 amps remaining to be G3fied? Still lot to do in this area... and meanwhile, instead of finishing this step - another step (G3fication of Drive blocks) is taken.

Don't get me wrong, but it looks like too many threads are started in the firmware development process and too few of them are actually finished. It would be nice if the G3fication process would go on step-by-step basis and any of them wouldn't be left unfinished.

So... any updates? ;)

Cliff has mentioned numerous times that he can only G3 an amp if he has accurate schematics for the amp. Perhaps he doesn't have the schematics for the ~40 amps that you're wondering about.

Insinuating that Cliff is ignoring G3ing the amps in favor of G3ing the drive models was really not necessary. You simply could have asked the status of the remaining amps and left it at that.

Cliff has mentioned numerous times that he can only G3 an amp if he has accurate schematics for the amp. Perhaps he doesn't have the schematics for the ~40 amps that you're wondering about.

Insinuating that Cliff is ignoring G3ing the amps in favor of G3ing the drive models was really not necessary. You simply could have asked the status of the remaining amps and left it at that.

I thought Cliff said he needed the actual amps so that he could take measurements from them.

All amps are G3'd, some are more G3'd than others.

Last edited:
I thought it was fairly clear that physical access to representative specimens of the amps in question was the gating factor; some of which are quite rare and expensive. Unless you have one to offer up, I'd think constant pinging for status does exactly zero good.

FAS's dedication to improving the unit and pushing on initiatives like this is quite clearly beyond reproach given their track record. As an end user, I think it is safe to assume that it is progressing at the fastest pace conditions allow until shown otherwise, constant queries will likely just grate on our hard working benefactor.

Given that you have no personal insight into the development process, implying parallel improvement efforts are mutually exclusive or questioning the priorities of such strikes me as adding insult on top of nuisance.

Last edited:
I'm happy with what I have right now, but I am excited about the Fully G3'd bass amps. Until then I'll just keep on jamming. That's the whole point anyway :) Cliff just helps us with the sweet tones he provides us. I think its awesome that he's doing all this work for free in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, but it looks like too many threads are started in the firmware development process and too few of them are actually finished. It would be nice if the G3fication process would go on step-by-step basis and any of them wouldn't be left unfinished.

Hmmm interesting that you think FAS should stop progress and development in other areas when they've gone as far as they can, at the moment, in one area.

I'm glad that FAS has released what they can, when they can, for G3 amps and not wait until they are all done.

Do you really want development to stop until the last amp is located and G3ed? :)

Is the lack of 41 g3'd amps out of 217 affecting tone or user experience?
For those who are using non-G3 amps 90% of their time (like Brit Pre and Hipower in my case) - well, maybe it's not affecting user experience, but there's certainly a tiny bit of frustration hearing such improvement in case of other amps (like Plexi or IIC+) and not being able to enjoy G3 benefits from their favourite amps.

For those who are using non-G3 amps 90% of their time (like Brit Pre and Hipower in my case) - well, maybe it's not affecting user experience, but there's certainly a tiny bit of frustration hearing such improvement in case of other amps (like Plexi or IIC+) and not being able to enjoy G3 benefits from their favourite amps.

What is a bit frustrating is People like yourself. I hope Cliff never G3's those amps just to spite your ignorance on how to talk and treat people. I was chalking up your first post to maybe "English is not your first language so you might just be coming off as a two bit jerk by accident and so I ignored posting, but now I am pretty confident you're just demanding jerk." So why don't you sell your Axe and go play Bias since you get no latency and it's so wonderful for you.

Btw I don't use G3 amps in most of my recordings "so you don't speak for all of us here" as of now and I have 0 issues with them, nor am I upset or feeling slighted because Cliff chose to develop other things before developing those amps, the Axe II amps non G3'd IMHO still sounded the best in the modeling world and to say any different means you might need a hearing check, I know for sure you need an attitude adjustment....

Even the 40 or so amps that are not G3 yet still gain benefits from the G3 algorithms. So the firmware 18 version of a none G3 amp should in theory still sound and feel better than a firmware 17 version of the same amp.

I'll skip the whole jumping on you for the way you have posted but just realize that Cliff works harder than any other CEO of a musical company that I personally have ever seen he isn't lazy or forgetful. To just assume he doesn't care about your favorite none G3 amp is just insulting and a little silly. His track record and that of the team here speaks for itself.

It would be mind numbly stupid to just not do anything because he no longer has 40 reference amps to G3 right this second. He going to be smart and work on other stuff while he gathers those amps again. You should be thrilled at the level of customer support you get here never take it for granted it is very, very rare to have the man who created a product be so involved on a day to day like this.

Last edited:
Legitimate question, but look at it another way. Cliff never had to get us this far with countless amp, cab and feature additions and improvements over all these years. I'd say if he is going to work tirelessly to improve the platform and release these developments for free then it is well within reason for him to map out his own pathway and determine his own priorities and vision for the future. I'd say so far his efforts have been "mindblowingly" (I know, not a word) successful and almost always seem to be welcomed enthusiastically by the vast majority of users.

I agree that it would be great to have all amps (and drives) G3'd, but trying to criticize Cliff's development style and practices just seems myopic and cheesy. Cheers!

Do your tones with Brit Pre and Hipower sound bad?
It's not BAD... but noticeably DIFFERENT than actual JMP-1 and believe me, I know what I say - I've used Marshall rack last two years intensively (sold JMP-1 barely month ago). I've switched to AFX because I have no conditions for loud playing anymore (JMP-1 with 9100 poweramp needs to be well cranked to sound at 100% of it's sweetness) and because of other features unavailable with analog rig.

Gon't get me wrong - I'm still happy with this change because - like I said - it gave me lot of other benefits that the rack gear couldn't provide. When I first heard samples of G3'd Plexi compared to the reference amp (it was Rock'n'Roll Ain't Noise Pollution intro) I was jumping all over my place with excitement how my tones based on Brit Pre will close to perfection pretty soon... but with another weeks passing by I'm starting to think that I'm just unlucky, standing at the very end of waiting line again ;)

So why don't you sell your Axe and go play Bias since you get no latency and it's so wonderful for you.
Your argument is so childish that I won't even bother to address it. Mind your own gear.

but with another weeks passing by I'm starting to think that I'm just unlucky, standing at the very end of waiting line again ;)

well imagine if FAS waited until they were completely done with G3'ing everything before releasing anything to the public. we'd all be unlucky at that point.

with 176 G3'd amps to choose from, you're basically causing your own pain by staying with the few that aren't. there's even a chance that G3'ing your 2 amps won't improve them too much more. so you're kinda causing your own struggle here. :)

Back
Top Bottom