G3 modeling thread

Wow, lots of speculation. This is the state of things so far:

G3 is all-new amp modeling. There are no other changes to the firmware so the effects, routing, etc. stay the same. But the amp modeling is a complete "reboot" based on this analysis thingy I wrote that learns an amp and extracts the pertinent data.

At this point I have only ported several dozen models to G3. It's a LOT of work because it involves opening each amp and doing all the measurements and then doing the analysis matches, etc. It will be several more weeks to port the remaining models.

Does it sound drastically different? No, but it does sound better. Some amps are noticeably better especially the Plexis, Rectos, 5150s and the Trainwreck. The Rectos are very good now. They're smooth yet aggressive at the same time if that makes any sense.

Many parameters have been removed as they are not compatible. Among them: PA Lowcut, PA Hicut, Character Type, Character Freq, Character Amt, Character Q, Voicing, et. al. The modeling doesn't need them.

So stop banging on your F5 key and get back to talking about deflated footballs.

anticipation3.jpg

FAS is just amazing!

In my Ultra at FW.5.xx days I was like .....how much more authentic can it get? ....and each update was better and better. Then the AxeII was introduced and real just got more real!! Amps, Cabs and Fx,...etc.....scenes .....all fantastic improvements every step of the way!

After FW17.04....same sensation as with my Ultra days.....how much "real-er" can it get?!! .....lo and behold...Cliff and team makes the darn thing more, MORE "real-er"!

My standard has been met and exceeded! However,......though "ignorance is bliss"....I ain't going to pass up major improvements when FAS says there is and release them!

As it is right now......It would be great to maybe have couple more instances of differing amps/cabs, via scenes, an/or more scene controllers would greatly ease preset setups.

Or developing a way for scenes to have the ability to save parameter settings per scene without the need for separate scene controllers. Or glitch free patch or scene changes via some cross fading or morphing scheme?

Not a wish thread I know, but the sound is sooo right.....right now... that focusing on playing and performance can be more of a focus now. And having worry free, glitch free
execution on stage with patch changes and cc controllers ..etc ....well you get what i mean.

Despite all the various compromises obviously inherent in just about everything in the world, It certainly is a great privilege to be
a guitar player and Axe user in this time of history!!!

I too very much look forward to the surprises G3 modeling has in store.

All I have to say is this. I sold every damn thing I owned. All my heads, cabs, effects, both racked and floored. And my wife thinks I am lying when I tell her DAILY that I will never, ever have to buy anything else. This is a done deal, there is nothing better on the market, yet still will only get better with every upgrade. My tone has never been better, and I'm no longer pigeon holed into being a one or two tone wonder (comments I've had in the past), as there is no tone I CANNOT get. This is simply the best investment I've ever made in my 30 years as a professional musician. And although it would be an honor to meet cliff while walking the isles of NAMM tomorrow, the fact remains is that he doesn't, nor will he ever need a booth at NAMM to sell his gear. When you make the best, word of mouth will always prevail. Cliff, I want to personally thank you for making me feel like I am 18 again (musically speaking, not physically, lol), and for reinvigorating my desire to play my guitar from the moment I rise with the sun, to the wee hours of the moon light. I will always be a customer of FAS:)

G3 is all-new amp modeling. There are no other changes to the firmware so the effects, routing, etc. stay the same. But the amp modeling is a complete "reboot" based on this analysis thingy I wrote that learns an amp and extracts the pertinent data.

"Introducing the Axe FX G3 modeling...the Axe FX re-imagined for 2015" :geek

Wow! - Great!

No effects changes this time - but; whenever the amp models get better, all the fx models sound better! Everything gets better!! Awesome! Just when you think it can't get any better, it does!

Cliff, you are feeding us crack! I don't have any gear that keeps me excited every day or has me on a forum talking about it or looking for its new firmware constantly like this box does. Its so amazing!

At this point I have only ported several dozen models to G3. It's a LOT of work because it involves opening each amp and doing all the measurements and then doing the analysis matches, etc. It will be several more weeks to port the remaining models.

Does it sound drastically different? No, but it does sound better. Some amps are noticeably better especially the Plexis, Rectos, 5150s and the Trainwreck. The Rectos are very good now. They're smooth yet aggressive at the same time if that makes any sense.

Many parameters have been removed as they are not compatible. Among them: PA Lowcut, PA Hicut, Character Type, Character Freq, Character Amt, Character Q, Voicing, et. al. The modeling doesn't need them.

So stop banging on your F5 key and get back to talking about deflated footballs.

So Cliff, first of all...OMG, awesome, thanks you for your dedication and willingness to continue to innovate!!
Second, if there are parameters that are no longer needed, will that achieve any headway towards less CPU usage?? Just curious...
Third, thanks again!!!!

Cliff, you are feeding us crack! I don't have any gear that keeps me excited every day or has me on a forum talking about it or looking for its new firmware constantly like this box does. Its so amazing!

+1 - got a fw munkey on mi back, spendin too much time juss waitin for de man ... an I done even need no 26 dollah in my hann !

(love Mick's knarly tone here!)

Based on the new information it sounds like Cliff is more or less simplifying amp parameters with the new algos... very cool !. This company never ceases to amaze me.

G3 is all-new amp modeling.
But the amp modeling is a complete "reboot" based on this analysis thingy I wrote that learns an amp and extracts the pertinent data.
It's a LOT of work because it involves opening each amp and doing all the measurements and then doing the analysis matches, etc.

Hmmm... sounds more a CLONEling thing... than simply "modeling"

It will be several more weeks to port the remaining models.

Hmmm... several more weeks... sounds like... month/months

Does it sound drastically different? No, but it does sound better.

Ok... if many Axeolized ppl here reported that "last gig the AxeFx sounded better than any real amp/gear I ever used before"...
so... with G3... be prepared to ear the AxeFx sound worse... aka "more like your old real amp/gear...
I mean... worse... in a good way! :mrgreen

Some amps are noticeably better especially the Plexis, Rectos, 5150s and the Trainwreck. The Rectos are very good now. They're smooth yet aggressive at the same time if that makes any sense.

This is too deep for my little brain.
Why?
Why a Plexis sound better with the G3 approach... and...say... a Fender not?...
Dunno...

Many parameters have been removed as they are not compatible. The modeling doesn't need them.

This make more sense to me.
To me sounds like that the "old" modeling has a "macro-modeling" approach so all the fine tuning things are ADDED to the model with many parameters aimed to match and correct the sound or the behaviour of the amp in some condition
The G3 "CLONEling" approach seems to go deeper and deeper in the original circuitry ("doing all the measurements and then doing the analysis matches"), so no "add-on" parameters are necessary.

But I can't understand how to measure a potentiometer that has a continuous variation along the trail or the interaction between two or more potentiometers (the "magic sweet spot" of a real amp)... This is way out of my range!
WOW... Cliff... that's a good IDEA!!!... only one parameter for each amp: "SWEET SPOT" on/off!!!! nope!!!... G3... so "G-SPOT" on and off!!!! :lol

Anyway... as always... CAN'T WAIT!!! :lol

Last edited:
GuttaLaser, you just hit on something i've been thinking without being able to pin it down - i think 17.04 sounds better than the tube amps i've owned, ergo if G3 makes the AFXii sound even more like tube amps, does this really mean it will make the AFXii sound better? :pride:
Of coarse the answer must be yes, and Cliff has said as much. :encouragement:

Sounds pretty damn awesome Cliff, can't wait to hear it!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, will this "G3 Modelling" have any significant impact on the FAS original amp models compared to the impact on the models based on real amps? From what you've said, the improvements seem to based more so on accuracy to the real amps, but you said that it's a "reboot" of the whole amp modelling engine.

I'm just adding to the pool of speculation and attempts to gain a deeper understanding of what's to come. ;)

Back
Top Bottom