G3 modeling thread

things have changed so much since the launch of the ii that I thought we were on g5 already. Remember everyone there is a whole Sharc chip just for the amp modeling. I suspect everything will be ok

My guess is Gen 3 will involve a fairly major shift in modeling approach, much like Gen 1 to Gen 2 did. Otherwise it would be "just" another incremental improvement. Since it's hard to imagine the tone and feel getting better than it is now (though of course it will) my prediction is that it will be more about the internal programming approach, maybe even exposing amp "parts" to the user to allow custom amp building. That would be really cool...

I'm really wondering how much better it can really get....this is what excites me the most!!!!
The fact that some drastic changes must have been made to warrant it falling under a completely new modelling generation.

Already with 17.04 I'm more than happy and wouldn't care at all if another firmware update never came out.
I've dialled it in to replace my "real" rig and everywhere I play people say it sounds better than my real amps ever did; less noise, EQ'd perfectly for the mix etc etc.

I just can't wait!!!!

I'm really wondering how much better it can really get....this is what excites me the most!!!!
The fact that some drastic changes must have been made to warrant it falling under a completely new modelling generation.

Already with 17.04 I'm more than happy and wouldn't care at all if another firmware update never came out.
I've dialled it in to replace my "real" rig and everywhere I play people say it sounds better than my real amps ever did; less noise, EQ'd perfectly for the mix etc etc.

I just can't wait!!!!

I completely agree with this....

Reactions: EJB
What I would like on the G3, is a rework of the main page of each block to make them more simple or plug'n play. There is also probably some advanced parameters that could be dropped.

+1

I hope it includes better thought through xy-switching as well as separate controllers for x and y states. Please please please Mr. Chase - I'm not complaining only hoping... :)

Yes, I know the AFX offers a ton more than other gear will ever include and the existing possibilities are enormous - but why not make the most awesome piece of gear that a guitarist can ever possess still better? That's what I hope to accomplish by asking for these awesome extension that would power users' life so much easier. Thank you very much.

Oh, lest I forget - sound wise the AFX is unbeatable and the pinnacle of modelling - but everyone knows that anyway, don't we?

Last edited:
A bit off topic,but...

I think it is remarkable that an "announcement" like this off-the-cuff remark can cause such eager anticipation. Many if not most companies seek to do regular releases where some little feature is revealed. Then they wait for the hoped-for oohing and ahing. It usually doesn't happen, because the things users get are not what they wanted or are not well done or only appeal to a tiny fraction of their users.

What Fractal has managed to do is to continuously better things on such a regular basis that any hint of a firmware update has some of us regularly checking the site for the download. That is amazing!

It's a two-edged sword, though: particularly for those of us with older units, we should not expect that trajectory to last forever. They have to make new things that make profit in order to keep the business viable. These free updates don't have an immediate ROI, but they do definitely build up customer loyalty for people like me. I had some issues with my unit when I first got it, and was a little unhappy. But the service and support since then so outweighs that negative that I don't really even remember it. I will not hesitate to buy Fractal again.

So...enjoy it while you can, and be grateful! Thanks sincerely, Fractal crew, for an amazing long-term user experience!

A bit off topic,but...

I think it is remarkable that an "announcement" like this off-the-cuff remark can cause such eager anticipation. Many if not most companies seek to do regular releases where some little feature is revealed. Then they wait for the hoped-for oohing and ahing. It usually doesn't happen, because the things users get are not what they wanted or are not well done or only appeal to a tiny fraction of their users.

What Fractal has managed to do is to continuously better things on such a regular basis that any hint of a firmware update has some of us regularly checking the site for the download. That is amazing!

It's a two-edged sword, though: particularly for those of us with older units, we should not expect that trajectory to last forever. They have to make new things that make profit in order to keep the business viable. These free updates don't have an immediate ROI, but they do definitely build up customer loyalty for people like me. I had some issues with my unit when I first got it, and was a little unhappy. But the service and support since then so outweighs that negative that I don't really even remember it. I will not hesitate to buy Fractal again.

So...enjoy it while you can, and be grateful! Thanks sincerely, Fractal crew, for an amazing long-term user experience!

Not to mention, I'd say its safe to say that 95% of us will most likely buy their next product at somepoint down the line. FAS makes it very hard to stay away.

Indeed

The product by itself keeps customers.
The product and product support keeps HAPPY customers.
The product, support and relentless improvements keep HAPPY LONG TERM customers who will happily buy whatever the next generation is sight unseen.

I am one of those.

It does show that the nearly 4 year old AxeFX II still has power left to exploit; enough for a software release that warrants designation as a whole new generation of modeling technology.

I'm not so sure about this somehow...

I see more 'pre-complaining' about something none of us know about (save Beta testers.) Sounding a death knell on the Axe II Mark series when THERE IS NO FORESEEABLE FUTURE in which it will be discarded for a newer, shinier model. Features (or lack thereof) that bring disappointment. Regardless of all that, it was said, (and I agree,) that if development stayed at 17.04 for 6 months or more, I would be completely satisfied. I ran through my 20 or so 'go to' presets last night, and I can say that I could not be happier with them.

Now as far as speculation of what's to come? I would guess tighter integration between AMP and CAB...to make the selection of a cab to be a less painful process.

And I speculate it will not drop for a week or so (no inside knowledge...just an impression.)

-R

Just some fun speculations on my part... regarding the sound, since they are already so close to the real thing, it may be subtle improvements. I think maybe Cliff would open a few more features for us. Possibly code optimization. Streamlining of the workflow. And/Or introduction of a completely new technology. The last time Cliff decided to change from G1 to G2, it was from Axe to Axe FX 2 so, I would think it would be a pretty significant change. Again just fun speculation.

G2 = AXEFX II
G3 = live with Satriani Vai Petrucci with axefx II
:mrgreen

Reminded me more of this

G2:
14.jpg

G3:
263002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom