Zakk Wylde Tone Without EMG’s?

deakle

Experienced
So I’m trying to get close to Zakk Wylde’s tone with my Les Paul and Axe FX III Turbo. Only thing is I am not a fan of EMG pickups. Question: can I get close without EMG’s by cranking the gain more? Any other suggestions on how to get close to the “Wylde Sound” without EMG’s?

So I’m trying to get close to Zakk Wylde’s tone with my Les Paul and Axe FX III Turbo. Only thing is I am not a fan of EMG pickups. Question: can I get close without EMG’s by cranking the gain more? Any other suggestions on how to get close to the “Wylde Sound” without EMG’s?
@Moke what do you think?

Pinch harmonic 60% of the time all the time!
rocking out rock n roll GIF by Zakk Wylde

I'd try a tube screamer with dist at zero, tone to taste, and volume set to to boost the signal a small amount. The EMG 81 isn't dramatically hotter than a PAF, it just has its own very distinct frequency response, and I think the tone knob on a tube screamer will probably get you there pretty easily.

While I've never tried to emulate the sound myself, I've gotten close, almost by accident. I think the EVM12L is a big part of his tone along with the slow/wide chorus (Yamaha SPX90 back in the day, I think). Super OD or similar boost into a Marshall, exactly what @rcm78 recommended. As @State of Epicicity said, EMGs aren't drastically hotter, just have a distinct sound. Between the OD tone knob and BMT on the amp, you should be really close with just about any pickup and you can always add an EQ to taste.

I know the question is regarding the EMG's specifically, but Michael Nielsen may have some tidbits in here that could get you mostly where you need to go:

Back
Top Bottom