Your thoughts please.

Hi all, My Axe-Fx is enroute to arrive Wednesday. I have a fairly large rig currently that is: Divided by 13 RSA-23 and Divided by 13 FTR-37. Running into a G-System with an Eventide Timefactor and Modfactor and various dirt pedals. I love my current rig, but sheesh, it is quite a large rig to take around all the time.

Most of my live work will allow me the opportunity to run IEM's in FOH and just patch the Axe-Fx in.

I still play hours a day in my studio, where I don't always want to run through my monitoring setup. Ideally I would like to run the Axe-Fx into my Divided by 13 cabinets because I love the tone and my ears are VERY tuned to the specific cabinets both running G12H30/Celestion blue speakers.

So, I am deciding what poweramp. After extensive reading here, it seems that solid state is going to be just as appealing (I will be running levels low, (not loud metal band settings) I read that the DCM150 is great, also the SLA-2 or QSC GX3 or GX5. The speakers in the cabs are rated at 15w/30w per speaker, so, the cabs are not high power type deals. I know some use the FRFR systems with built in power amps, but I like the tone of my specific guitar cabs already. So I would rather stick with actual guitar cabs-even if they bias the sound somewhat.

Based on this information, would you think the SLA-2 type rating would suffice? Again, I am not not running massive levels here.

Appreciate your thoughts.

From what you are describing looks like SLA2 will fit the bill in spades ... It will have the headroom to do other things down the road as well.. (like driving an extra 4x12 if needed)

Mik.

Ok, this deserves a follow up post. The Axe-Fx arrived today. Followed the hints/tips dialed in great sounds and played for 6 hours.

Ran it through a high end mic pre direct into my KRK setup (high end KRK V88/S12 U.S.A made system) and it was breathtaking. I rerouted it into my Divided by 13's, adjusted the amps and Axe-Fx as suggested, and results were harsh & unappealing.

So..... now I am rethinking things. Actually to be honest, it's more of a recalibration of my thinking. For years to get the guitar sound I've wanted I used guitar speaker boxes, well this Axe-Fx unit today is now challenging that mindset. For the first time, I now find myself entertaining the possibility of an FRFR system as praised by Scott and numerous others here over and over again. The QSC HPR122i.

I am seriously conisdering this option, for more than just the Axe-Fx scenario. My wife works as a music teacher at an Elementary School and they have a seriously under performing PA. A pair of these QSC's would massively improve their recitals etc. I would also have a secondary need that could be fulfilled in having a PA Guitar solution in one.

I will now spend some time researching the threads here, but owners of FRFR systems please feel free to chime in if you recommend the QSC HPR122i?

I honestly wouldn't have thought the above was even an option until I dialed the Axe-Fx like I did through my studio monitors....

Interesting post ...

I spent a lot of time trying to duplicate my tone, which is more or less a clean Fender Twin Reverb into a pair of JBL speakers in an open backed 2X12. (I am actually using an Egnater M4 preamp with a T/D module and a Real Tube Reverb rack unit, plus a solid state power amp.)

I made an IR of my JBLs, used the blackface preamp, dialed and dialed, got it just absolutely perfect on my studio monitors. Yesterday, I got an QSC K12 (the lightweight class D alternative to the HPR 112i) and it was almost a perfect match. Incredible.

But what I also found interesting was I plugged the AxeFX into my regular power amp and JBLs, turning off the power amp and cabinet simulations, and the result was extremely bright and harsh. I would have to rebuild and seriously re-EQ that preset, I think, to get it to sound good over the "real" power amp and speakers I use live. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was surprising to me.

I was already sold on the FR system, and now I completely am. It sounds amazing.

You should give a listen to the K12 against the HPR112i, I think they are similar in terms of output, and if you don't need the heavy birch cabinet and weight is an issue, you might like the K12, especially if you are going to be moving it around. It's 42 lbs. vs. 60 or so. Price is comparable.

Back
Top Bottom