Yet another post on real cab connection

Matteodem

Yesterday I tried to connect my FM3 in the return of my mesa lonestar.
Output 2 with jack and tried both unity gain and line.
I disabled the ir and kept the PA on.
The tone was weak and horrible, something like an irless tone.
No body and completely distorted.
What could be wrong? I can't believe this is the tone in a real amp.

Thanks

Reactions: yek
Nothing wrong with the preset, it's just an AMP block. I ran it into the FX return of my 5150 LBX-S + 1x12 Recto Cab and it sounds like a BE-100.

https://on.soundcloud.com/b7fA8kYdngEccGdB6

Does the FX loop on the Lone Star function normal otherwise? Have you plugged anything else into the FX return to see if it does the same thin/fizzy thing?

This preset is using OUT1 so I assume you have "Output 2 Copy" set to "Output 1" in the I/O settings? I don't know what else it could be on the unit assuming your cable is good and it's hooked up correctly.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the preset, it's just an AMP block. I ran it into the FX return of my 5150 LBX-S + 1x12 Recto Cab and it sounds like a BE-100.

https://on.soundcloud.com/b7fA8kYdngEccGdB6

Does the FX loop on the Lone Star function normal otherwise? Have you plugged anything else into the FX return to see if it does the same thin/fizzy thing?

This preset is using OUT1 so I assume you have "Output 2 Copy" set to "Output 1" in the I/O settings? I don't know what else it could be on the unit assuming your cable is good and it's hooked up correctly.
Thanks for you check.
I never plugged a pre in the return, only effects without any problem.
How do you set the output 2 and real amp volume? Could It matter?
I'm planning to buy a cheap Harley benton pa100 to have another power Amp to compare

If you're going from OUT2 into the FX return it should be VERY VERY loud. You shouldn't need much volume on OUT2 of the FM3. I don't see why it would be a level issue. FM3 sends a good hot signal.

Is the send level on the FX loop of the Lone Star possible causing an issue? Most amps don't have an adjustable FX loop level. Seems like it would only affect the send level, but I'm not sure.

You don't really need a preamp to test. I would just turn the volume all the way down on your guitar. Then plug your guitar straigt into the FX return. Play and slowly turn the volume up on your guitar. It should be frighteningly loud. As loud as your amp with the voume all the way up. If it's not, then something is amiss.

Just guessing here based on my JCM900. The JCM900 has an effect return level control but also, and more importantly, the Master Volume controls the volume using the FM3 into the effects return as a pre-amp. Most other amps I've used, the Master volume doesn't work like this but maybe yours does.

1. Output 2 knob should be set to maximum
2. Set the level of your Output 2 block in the preset to a higher level -- even to the max if necessary
3. Try inserting a "dummy" plug into the send of your amp FX loop == some amps lose db if the FX loop send and return are not both connected
4. Try upping the volume of your amp

HTH

Back
Top Bottom