Yamaha Revstar - any good?

Dave Dayman

Similar to one of my previous posts (I asked about Vintage guitars). Who uses a Yamaha Revstar and if so, are they any good?
I play mostly rock and blues type stuff.
Cheers.
🤘🏻

I have an RSS20 (middle price tier). Paid $650 shipped for a mint used white one. By far the best quality instrument I’ve ever played under $1k. Feels like if Suhr made an LP/SG. Stainless frets and the fretwork is flawless. It might even be plek’d from the factory, the only guitars I’ve been able to get the action this low with no buzz are plek’d.

Stock pickups are fine, alnico V, very modern sounding, but I swapped them for some 50’s style PAFs (Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, $185 used).

My goal with this guitar was to get Les Paul tones without playing the Gibson roulette and after a few A/B’s I can say it is indistinguishable from a Les Paul with the same pickups. But it has better upper fret access, better truss rod stability, master volume / master tone, satin neck, contoured heel, lighter, etc.

Last edited:
I have an RSS20 and RS02T, both had issues with frets that were't seated properly which i rectified but other than that they are really nice gutars well suited to those genres. They do have a distinct sound and far better upper neck access vs LP's

Back
Top Bottom