Wow! Thats all I can say!

Whitehouse

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum here and I wanted to share my 3 cents. I just took delivery of my Ultra today! I plugged it in and ran through the factory presets and while it had a few cool sounds, in general, the presets in no way reflect the true sound of this box. After tending to other business round the studio I was able to get it rolling with the editor.

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a country picker. Yeah...a metal head turned country keeping in the constant pursuit of tone at the volumes our FOH engineers love. You and I both know its pretty hard to get an AC30 or Maz38 or Marshall up to sweetspot-volumes without totally pissing off the guys on stage with you or the guy at the desk.

I plugged in and immediately went to the MAZ38 and AC30 models. HOLY BALLS! I own both and the ULTRA nails them both....to the T!
I know thats a pretty bold statement amongst the tone-heads and gear junkys that make up our unique race but its the truth. I've played for over 20 years always on the hunt for "The Amp" that does it all....at least a little! Well, as far as what I've dug into, in the limited amount of time I've had with the Ultra, I've finally found it!

Starting from a clean slate in the editor, I pulled up the MAZ model with (I forgot what cab model...I think 2x12 Blue) and no mic model. I ran the amp just how it came up in the editor but only added a little gain to it. IT IS THE AMP!!! It sponges out just like the real one...It sags like the real one! Its got it!!!

Then on to the AC model...Same thing! Has the sparkle and grind like the original but its better! Being able to insert a multiband compressor for the upper mids allows the sparkle and sheen to come through without the gnarly 3k ice-pick-in-the-ear nastiness thats usually there!

I have just scratched the surface with this box. Its truely amazing! I just may let the hair down tonight and get some good ol metal tones goin again!!! I might have to pop in Gojira, Sevendust and Stuck Mojo for some inspiration! Great work Cliff on an amazing box! It has earned a spot in my live rig as well as the studio! You deserve all the success in the world!

Be warned - this might be interpreted as a quick review and moved to the reviews section of the forum.

Otherwise: welcome. The Axe-Fx is just a miraculous box for guitar players, and it only gets better with time. You learn to do more the more you play with it and of course Cliff continually improves the already supreme firmware in leaps and bounds.

It makes playing guitar much less hassle and much more fun, and that to me is about the best you can say about any piece of gear.

Oh! Bummer! It was NOT intended to be a "review"...more of a hell yeah...way to go...thanks man kind of thing. Sorry if this was interpreted as anything but what I intended. Thanks for the heads up.

Marty

Whitehouse said:
Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum here and I wanted to share my 3 cents. I just took delivery of my Ultra today! I plugged it in and ran through the factory presets and while it had a few cool sounds, in general, the presets in no way reflect the true sound of this box. After tending to other business round the studio I was able to get it rolling with the editor.

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a country picker. Yeah...a metal head turned country keeping in the constant pursuit of tone at the volumes our FOH engineers love. You and I both know its pretty hard to get an AC30 or Maz38 or Marshall up to sweetspot-volumes without totally pissing off the guys on stage with you or the guy at the desk.

I plugged in and immediately went to the MAZ38 and AC30 models. HOLY BALLS! I own both and the ULTRA nails them both....to the T!
I know thats a pretty bold statement amongst the tone-heads and gear junkys that make up our unique race but its the truth. I've played for over 20 years always on the hunt for "The Amp" that does it all....at least a little! Well, as far as what I've dug into, in the limited amount of time I've had with the Ultra, I've finally found it!

Starting from a clean slate in the editor, I pulled up the MAZ model with (I forgot what cab model...I think 2x12 Blue) and no mic model. I ran the amp just how it came up in the editor but only added a little gain to it. IT IS THE AMP!!! It sponges out just like the real one...It sags like the real one! Its got it!!!

Then on to the AC model...Same thing! Has the sparkle and grind like the original but its better! Being able to insert a multiband compressor for the upper mids allows the sparkle and sheen to come through without the gnarly 3k ice-pick-in-the-ear nastiness thats usually there!

I have just scratched the surface with this box. Its truely amazing! I just may let the hair down tonight and get some good ol metal tones goin again!!! I might have to pop in Gojira, Sevendust and Stuck Mojo for some inspiration! Great work Cliff on an amazing box! It has earned a spot in my live rig as well as the studio! You deserve all the success in the world!
Cool stuff Whitehouse!! Once you get the hang of it, be sure to upload some of your country patches. I love hot country guitar (and teles) but I haven't had any experience dialing that sound in.

Whitehouse said:

Cool! Welcome aboard!!! Let us know how you intend to amp it.

Back
Top Bottom