Worked on the Avenged Sevenfold guitar rig!!

We should get a Hellwin in the Axe Fx Hopefully someone can send one to Cliff!!!! They're so much better than John Mayer don't you think ML? LoL:)

I needed to have the 5150 III Red with drive up to 8 to match the settings Brian was using.
Wow. I'm wondering how the tone doesn't turn to mush. And, he's using pickups with those big ass magnets in them! My mind is literally blown.

BTW, I haven't been a fan of their work since City of Evil. When I heard The Stage, I freakin' went out and bought the album and T-shirt. The boys are back!

athf_ep038_05.jpg

I believe we've reached the time when digital is so much better than analog that it's hard to justify why not to go digital. There are so many complications with real amps that it's just not worth it for many people. I try to be as honest as possible and I did explain the weaknesses of using a real life cab live even with an iso box like in this case. Chevelle was doing their soundcheck when we were working with the iso boxes and there was no way we could get a clean signal without the low end rumble of them playing. Now imagine that when your whole band is playing and everything is interfering. One of the main secrets for a good miked guitar sound is to know which kind of space a guitar cabinet needs to be in in order to work properly. Let's just say that it's not an open space like f.ex. a stage and it's not a closed case like an iso box. So an IR shot from a cab in a studio room meant for guitar cabinets can easily sound better.

In 10 years time I just hope that the people filling the stadiums still use electric guitar. :)

Just wondering what your opinion is on how important the microphone used is to the sound? I kinda figure it's probably as important as the speaker used in the cabinet? I know everything's important but I think it's more pickup than guitar, more speaker than cabinet and equal measure of microphone choice and placement.

I'm not sure if I can share the preset I'm afraid. I can ask them about it though. :) I've got to say that it definitely requires a certain picking style. If you've ever seen SG play you'll notice that his picking hand is super relaxed. He keeps things tight and they're definitely using many noise gates here and there. They have one on the Hellwin head to begin with but I also have the presets they use live with the Axe-Fx and most of it is just different noise gate settings for different songs.

Tell me about it... originally I thought the HBE would be closest to the Hellwin since it was a "high gain Marshall" according to them. I needed to have the 5150 III Red with drive up to 8 to match the settings Brian was using. I even asked if they had a boost on and they were like "nope... that's the amp". :)
Hey, question if you don’t mind:

When I have the gain up around 8 on the 5150 Red, it’s just so bloody noisy and uncontrollable - how do you deal with that?

Back
Top Bottom