(Wish) Send multiple CC #'s and state per IA

steverosburg

Experienced
This is a piggyback off another thread, but I'll put in a separate formal "wish" request for it.

I know that when using non-Axe-Fx mode (or setting an IA to "NONE") that you can map 2 CC's to a single IA. I would like to do more, for example engage three effects (Drive 1, Amp 1 X/Y and Delay 1) and disengage another (Chorus 1), and do the reverse when disengaging. I know this is possible with external controllers, but they have problems of their own (LED states do not update to match, and you can't individually change the bypass state of an effect if it's bypass state is governed by an external controller).

I assume this would have the same inherent problem today as external controllers as far as the desire for IA LED's to reflect the current state of the Axe-Fx. There are separate wishes in for that.

oddb0d and javajunkie have discussed another solution involving multiple presets in non-Axe-Fx mode which do this kind of state management. I really don't want to lose Axe-Fx mode (one of the main reasons I bought the MFC), and I really don't want to have to manage multiple presets per song within the MFC. I know another approach would be to just copy presets within the Axe-Fx which only involve state change, and then leave the MFC in Axe-Fx mode, but that's such a waste of resources.

Hi Steve!

Since we already looked at some ways that the Axe-Fx can provide the needed flexibility, let's look at some more options in the MFC. Have you looked at custom MIDI? Using this feature, you can send not two but 7 CCs with a single stomp.

By the way... If you were one of the Fractal pro artists I support, I'd strongly suggest that you just make separate presets. Do you have an Axe-Fx II? Global blocks make this kind of set up a breeze! In any case, the other ideas proposed do NOT require you to turn off Axe-Fx mode... Just set the IA Axe-Fx switch functions to NONE. I digress... on to the new idea.

Here's how to use custom MIDI for 7 CCs per IA Switch:

1. Set the IA Axe-Fx Function of the switch to NONE.

2. Access the ON custom MIDI area of the IA switch. See Section 12.4.10 on page 54 of the current MFC-101 Owner's manual (doc v1.0.5).

3. Enter the custom data for 5 CC# messages.

A CC# message begins with a "B"... In the first byte, enter the midi channel of the CC message you want to send, in hex, preceded by a "B".

ch1 = B0
ch2 = B1
ch3 = B2
ch10 = B9
ch11 = BA
ch12 = BB
ch16 = BF

The 2nd and 3rd bytes are the CC number and value, in hex. There is a table on page 76 of the current MFC-101 Owner's manual (doc v1.0.5) to help you convert to hex. Example: To send CC23, value 127... you would use hex "17" and "74"

So the three bytes for Midi Channel 1, CC#23, value 127, would be

B0 17 7F

With three bytes per CC, we can fit 5 bytes in the alloted 16 bytes of space for 5 CC messages on the switch. Program the remaining two in the usual way for a total of 7 CC messages on the switch.

4. Repeat the process for the OFF state custom MIDI messages, changing the VALUES.

Last edited:
Matt, thanks!

No, I hadn't looked at custom MIDI. I didn't realize you could send multiple CC values in this byte stream. That's really helpful and will probably solve most of my problems. I guess the only remaining thing would be to have the IA's reflect the new bypass state; that would pretty much solve all of my how-to issues as far as single-button switching goes.

Yes, I have an Axe-Fx II. Not sure what you are implying with global blocks, but here's my guess:

Assuming I'm using two (or more) patches in the Axe-Fx II which have the same settings but different state (e.g. bypass, X/Y, etc) and I want to change the setting value (e.g. amp drive) in one preset I wouldn't have to make it to all of them if I were using global amps. The only problem for me is that I generally have dozens of patches, with all different values for amp, drive, etc. I couldn't fit that into just 10 slots. Now, if this is not what you're referring to, please elaborate... :)

Okay, I'm looking at this more, and one problem I see: on page 19 of the MFC manual it states "The settings for both types of IA Switch are global—they stay the same across all presets, banks, songs, etc."

If I'm understanding correctly, that's presents a problem, because means the custom MIDI CC sequence sequence would be invoked for all every preset when I press this IA. This wouldn't work, because different songs require different effects to be enabled/disabled. For example, on one preset, I want to engage Drive 1, switch from Amp 1 X to Amp 1 Y and engage Filter 1 when I start a solo. On another song, it may mean bypass Delay 1, switch from Amp 1 X to Amp 1 Y and engage Pan/Tremolo 1.

Sounds like I'll either have to go back to external controllers with branching logic like I did on my Ultra and FCB1010 (which I was really hoping to get away from) or use multiple presets per song if I don't want to tap-dance.

I would love to be able to program a custom MIDI sequence per-preset. Most songs are pretty straightforward and don't require this kind of advanced logic, but a couple do, and it would be really nice to have it rather than relying on multiple presets.

How about several IA switches as externals, plus the "big" IA switch sending all of those externals? Plus one more external on the big switch optionally, for extra things from that switch only.

How about several IA switches as externals, plus the "big" IA switch sending all of those externals? Plus one more external on the big switch optionally, for extra things from that switch only.

I do something like this currently, although not quite this zealous. :)

It seems like I'm in the minority with what I'm trying to achieve and how to go about it. Or, perhaps others have just resigned themselves to the way things work today and moved on. I'm still looking for that perfect combination of simplicity if you want it and ultimate flexibility/complexity if you need it.

What I *really* do not want to do is create multiple presets within the Axe-Fx for a single song if there's basically only two main sounds (rhythm and lead). It just goes against my sense of efficiency to copy & paste the same stuff twice with just bypass changes. Also, I like creating different preset for every song, and we do a lot of different songs at church. I think I had around 80 active presets on my Ultra, I don't really want that to become 150 if it can be avoided.

I've been using externals for a couple of years on my FCB1010. Now the Axe-Fx II introduces new X/Y switching and I think "fantastic!" except that I can't control this via External (yet?). I also think how awesome it will be to have native Axe-Fx mode with the MFC, but at the moment the only thing it's really bought me over my FCB1010 thus far is the tuner (which is huge, I'm not downplaying that), a programmable song list, and displaying patch/song names (again, huge).

I hope this doesn't come across as complaining about the product, because I think very highly of it. However, I do think there's still room for some improvement in these areas.

Back
Top Bottom