Windows (11), graphics cards, display ports, and hdmi issues

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Hello wonderful people.

I know there's a lot of you here who have deep technical knowledge, and I'm baffled so I thought I'd ask for advice.

Background: new Windows 11 pc build, fast, quiet, powerful, mega data storage. Very happy... until I hooked up two monitors. The Nvidia graphics card has 1 DVI and 2 Displayport outputs. My monitors have HDMI inputs (one of the two also has DVI). Try as I might, every cable that I tried with Displayport at one end and HDMI at the other has failed (no display at all). These DP-HDMI cables are described as unidirectional, DP at computer end and HDMI at monitor end... And I am using them in the correct direction. So far, I have not been able to display anything at all with the DP ports using the intended cables... The only quasi-exception is that I can display using a short DP-HDMI adapter combined with an HDMI cable. You would think that a DP-HDMI cable would be an exact equivalent, no?

So that's where I'm at so far, with 3 or 5 Amazon returns to date. I've got two more adapters coming, which I will test tomorrow.

Is there anything obvious (or not so obvious) that I'm missing? Anyone here using a graphics card with DP and a monitor with HDMI? What's your connection solution?

Last edited:
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/hdmi-to-dp-not-working.html (there is some information)

Have you check from your monitors settings if there is DP to HDMI etc. settings, maybe you just need to set your monitor for correct
ipnut mode?

I read some articles that people wrote in internet about same kind problems and one solutiong found there was some kind adapter to DP-HDMI.
But there was information that DP-HDMI cable should work.

• Display drivers? (usually they are well updated in NVIDIA grphics cars but maybe it's good to check them too?)
  • Also windows 11 have settings for two different monitors and if those settings are not correct then other monitor stays black, but
I think that is not your problem, but it also good to check if settings are for both monitors?

Earlier I had 1 monitor with DVI and other DP, and they worked fine (first other was black cause monitors setting was incorrect (Not DP but DVI, so I corrected that).

I don't know if different HDMI versions make some problems, do you have how old monitors?

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI (lots of information about HDMI versions etc.)

Hope you find solution for your problem!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom