[Wiki] Close-miked tone versus amp-in-the-room tone

APE

Inspired
I'd like know how to do the following:
Select a "farfield" cab type, such as 2×12 Gold 30 Far-Field or 2×12 G12-65 Far-Field.
Set Mic Type to none to keep the tone neutral.
Use the room ambience controls in the Cab block.

To anyone taking the time to explain it, it would be worth adding a link to the post or adding the relevant bits to the Wiki page.
Close-miked tone versus amp-in-the-room tone - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I'm coming at this as a total newb. I looked in the manual and could not find "Mic Types" or "ambience controls", etc.

The reason I want to know is because I am having a bad sound from Axe-II --> KRK Rokit 6. Sounds is very boomy and unclear.

Last edited:
Press layout on the preset you're editing --> find the cab block --> press edit. Cab and mic types are on page one, and the room ambiance controls are on page two.

Press layout on the preset you're editing --> find the cab block --> press edit. Cab and mic types are on page one, and the room ambiance controls are on page two.
Perfect. I added that exactly to the Wiki under an h2 "How-to".

I used exactly "2×12 Gold 30 Far-Field". Under the "ADV" tab, I cut input trim back and raised low-cut filter to "123.5 Hz".

My sound is not as bad as it was; got rid of most of the flop but something else, like notes don't ring right. It still sounds bad.

I killed the effects, so now I have just AMP->CAB (and shunts). It may be a matter of EQ at this point. What else should I try?

Last edited:
I tried some R8's that I have as spares at the studio a couple days back. They are very very boomy. Try rolling off the low freq. in the Global page. I killed the first slider completely and a couple db off the next. Also killed a couple db at 16khz.

They were sounding pretty sweet by the end.

I tried some R8's that I have as spares at the studio a couple days back. They are very very boomy. Try rolling off the low freq. in the Global page. I killed the first slider completely and a couple db off the next. Also killed a couple db at 16khz.
I tried playing around with that. The low pass filter did more.

They were sounding pretty sweet by the end.
I have Rokit 6's first generation. I've put them now on some clay planters for speaker stands, off the desk, so that the desk won't amplify the boominess. They sound almost OK at a very low volume.

I just tried plugging the Axe-II into my two amps:
L - 40w VHT pitbull
R - 30w Mesa Boogie (model unknown)

Spent about an hour working around with it.

Back
Top Bottom