Why self-monitor?

mtlin

Inspired
I'm about to start gigging again after a two year hiatus during which time I got an Axe-FX. I'm going to try to gig with it and FRFR seems best to me. Everyone is very excited about the FBT Verve 8ma which is for self-monitoring. If I'm going direct into the front of the house, what do I need a monitor for? The venue will provide monitoring. The singer doesn't bring his own monitor. Why should I? I've never gigged a rig like this, so I'm probably missing something.

Because from my experience playing in small to mid-size clubs monitors are awful ... And thats being polite.

At least once I have my monitor be it a 4x12 or FRFR I am gonna hear myself.

Mik.

You are going to find that what you want to hear in the monitors is NOT what other musicans in your band sharing those monitors wants to hear. If you can hear at all.

Self-monitor = saneness and a musical experience that is fun. Without it, you'll find you are flying blind in a very dark scary lonely place. ;):D

Hi mtlin,

That's an excellent question. It is one I've pondered myself. For my own purposes, I concluded the following:

1. You can create your patches on a monitor and know what its going to sound like at the gig.

2. If you get a good enough monitor, in case of emergency it could operate as backline in case their monitor goes down.

3. Better to take it and have it, than go wanting...

TimmyM

Most club monitors are anything but flat, they will have a midrange hump to accentuate vocals, plus their will be other signals going through there, bass, kickdrum, microphones ringing, outboard EQ, compression, limiting, who knows what else. You want your exact tone coming from a clean distinct point onstage, just like you would playing through a power amp and cabinet. I've never heard myself live as well as I have with a QSC K12 next to the vocal wedge.

Every reply is good advice. I would only add one very important to me reason. I need the interplay between my guitar and the sound to get feedback. I can achieve loud enough spl's with my monitor to get all the great feedback and sustain I need without blasting the rest of the band, especially the singer who needs to hear himself over everything else.

Thanks for the excellent replies. I guess I need a powered monitor speaker. Too bad those FTB's are unobtanium right now.

Scott Peterson said:
You are going to find that what you want to hear in the monitors is NOT what other musicans in your band sharing those monitors wants to hear. If you can hear at all.

Self-monitor = saneness and a musical experience that is fun. Without it, you'll find you are flying blind in a very dark scary lonely place. ;):D
:ugeek: as true as true can be.

Saturday evening I used my Verve 12ma out of Output1, and sent my Output2 to FOH via my Radial JDI (Thanks for the recommendation Scott!). The smallish stage had 4 Yorkville monitors + two for sidefill. I plopped my 12ma down in front of me next to one of the Yorkies, adjusted volume to suit, and dude, I was one happy camper, right in front of the drums!

Scott Peterson said:

I need a bumper sticker with that on it. :D

Is this anything like self-medicating? ;)

I feel much more in-touch with my instrument if I can hear every nuance of what I'm playing. If you can get a monitor mix like that from the sound guy, great, but if you share monitors with others it's impossible.

Back
Top Bottom