Why not use a GT-8 etc..

dheissner

So with the price of floor board controllers being pretty high, why not just use something like a Boss GT-8?

You can find them on ebay for around 300 bucks or less. They can work as a patch selector for 1-4 buttons X banks very well, with an a/b/turner switch you can get a silent tuner with this setup for free as well, then the pedal down on/off switch be your waw or whatever you want the pedal to be, and oh yeah have a dedicated control switch that is on/off as well.... sounds like a keeper to me.... just floating this idea out there for those who get, I do and am using it with my Axe-Fx w/ great results! best back

-DAVE!

I tried it in the past but couldn't find a way to get the gt8 to switch eff bypass, something I need in a floor controller. So now I'm using an old ADA to switch patches, hex pedals for wah and volume, and waiting for Cliff's floor controller. I'm being patient..... :arrow:

jon

If you have one already, it's a great option. $300 is a lot for a basic controller though. You could get a Behringer FCB1010 or an old ART X-15 for ~$100. Of course, the GT-8 would give also you a basic backup rig in case something went wrong.

There are options for in the sub-$300 range that are much better than GT-8 in terms of midi control. To name a few - Behringer FCB1010 and Yamaha MFC10 .. Midimate ... But if GT-8 works for you - then why not ?

Mik.

dheissner said:
So with the price of floor board controllers being pretty high, why not just use something like a Boss GT-8?

You can find them on ebay for around 300 bucks or less. They can work as a patch selector for 1-4 buttons X banks very well, with an a/b/turner switch you can get a silent tuner with this setup for free as well, then the pedal down on/off switch be your waw or whatever you want the pedal to be, and oh yeah have a dedicated control switch that is on/off as well.... sounds like a keeper to me.... just floating this idea out there for those who get, I do and am using it with my Axe-Fx w/ great results! best back

-DAVE!

dheissner

I have been trying to sell my GT-8 since the birth of my ULTRA. I bought a midimate that sort of works ok for now. But I could never figure out how to use th GT-8 with the ULTRA... do you have a suggestion on how to set it up? .....where to look? I have always loved the basic set up of the GT-8 with the expression pedal... but the tones and options on the ULTRA are far superior... so I am interested in using the GT-8 that way to run the ULTRA (and to have as a backup) if I could figure out how to make it work acceptably... plus I like the builtin tuner... Any help on how to make it work? I read a couple other posts awhile back with frustrated people, so I have not even given it a shot......

thanks.
-richard

jiagap said:
dheissner

I have been trying to sell my GT-8 since the birth of my ULTRA. I bought a midimate that sort of works ok for now. But I could never figure out how to use th GT-8 with the ULTRA... do you have a suggestion on how to set it up? .....where to look? I have always loved the basic set up of the GT-8 with the expression pedal... but the tones and options on the ULTRA are far superior... so I am interested in using the GT-8 that way to run the ULTRA (and to have as a backup) if I could figure out how to make it work acceptably... plus I like the builtin tuner... Any help on how to make it work? I read a couple other posts awhile back with frustrated people, so I have not even given it a shot......

thanks.
-richard

Richard did you ever figure this out? I've got the GT3, the GT10 and the ultra. I was considering the behringer fcb1010 but if the others will do the job...
Stewart

No. But that is ok. I was able to sell my GT-8 and the midimate works for now until the Fractal version comes out. Just hoping I never need a back up!

But your GT-10 should be able to do something, but I am definitely not the right guy to ask.

thanks

dheissner said:
You can find them on ebay for around 300 bucks or less.
Well, I can think of one pretty compelling reason. These are available new for half that. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=182469 . They're actually designed to function as a MIDI controller, and you can do lots of things with an FCB1010 controlling an Axe-Fx that you couldn't do with a GT-8.

FWIW, I owned a GT-8 prior to my purchase of an Axe-Fx. The one positive thing I can say about it is that, when I decided to get rid of it several months before the Axe-Fx arrived, I got all my money back out of it (I had bought it used on ebay). Now that the GT-10 is out, that wouldn't likely be possible. If you already own one, it can certainly be forced into service as a foot controller - which, to my way of thinking, is vastly preferable to actually using it to pass signal - but you'll be giving up quite a bit in capability to a real controller.

I actually presently use a Boss GT-8 as my foot controller. But, it is limited. Over a month ago, I had sent an e-mail to fractal, requesting that i get put on their waiting list for their foot controller. (I never heard anything from them, by the way :? :cry: ) Anyway, I'm using the GT-8 until i get one of theirs. I can get it to change patches & banks. I can assign the GT-8's expression pedal to control any paramenter that can be controlled. But, i can't use many of the other buttons. i don't have a lot of options or additional controllers by which I can turn certain effects and/or their paramenters on and off. And, when I try to use the expression pedal switch to turn the "wah" on, it doesn't stay. It doesn't accept the switch as on and off each time you press it. It's always off & won't stay on, unless you hold the switch down. this is (of course) impossible if you rock your foot back to control the way sweep (for example). The same also seems to be true of the CTRL button (or, what ever it's called --- the one all the way to the lower right on the GT-8). It doesn't recognize it as staying "on" when you step on it. It sort of "let's go" as you lift your foot. Anything you control with it only stays "on" as long as you hold the button down.

I suppose it works on a basic level, but I need more and am trying to hold out for Fractal to at least ACKNOWLEDGE my request to get on a list to eventually purchase one of their forthcoming controllers. I hope that they get back to me before too long. I'd hate to give in (if too much more time goes by without hearing something from them) and go out & buy someone else's product and not give Fractal my business.

Back
Top Bottom