While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Catch22

Anyone have a preset for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - or have an idea where to start? Clapton's tone has such a unique wobble to it. I've fooled around with a rotary and even a phaser (and both) but can't quite nail the essence of it.

Any thoughts on how to approach it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

(Well, the performance seems to be making generous use of a whammy bar, but I assume you're more asking about the tone.)

The tone sounds doubled, or chorused, to me, which, at that time, suggests they probably used Artificial Double Tracking (ADT), a technique developed for The Beatles during the Revolver album. I see in the wiki article that author Ian MacDonald thought so, and while I tend to take Ian's stuff with a grain of salt, that would be my guess also, and would seem to be a pretty good match for the tone.

On the Axe, I would suggest starting with a two-voice chorus, or a mild flange, and go from there. Here's a link to the ADT wiki page, FYI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_double_tracking

I read he used a LP (later given to George Harrison after the session) and a Fender Deluxe amp - the sound was flanged using some tape technique by the engineers.

I went back to work on it and a chorus / flange paring really seems to be the trick. I really thought it my be an overdriven leslie sound - but the results speak for themselves. So posting this paid off. Thanks Bongo ...

Clapton definitely used "Lucy" - the red LP that he would soon give to George. Also George had a Blonde Bassman (because he liked Paul's) and used it pretty exclusively by this time. Since Clapton was invited to the session at a moments notice, I have always figured he might have used that. I'm using the Fender 6G12 Concert for my preset. To my ears it seems to be closer than the Bassman amps.

Hi Catch22 I would love to hear the result! Can you post your preset? I just played this on Friday night in my set, I use a rotary.

Back
Top Bottom