Which models to cop sounds like The Knack?

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
I’m doing some recording for my dad’s band, and I’m looking to capture some tones reminiscent of The Knack on a particular song; My Sharona, Frustrated, Oh Tara etc. those are a little different from each other, but kind of a meld of them. My Sharona is probably the cleanest, so somewhere between Frustrated and Oh Tara.

The other guitarist of my Dad’s band recorded with a Rick, so just based on Doug Fieger’s gear (that I’ve seen), it seems like he was a strat guy with plexis or something similar. Who knows what he used on the recordings, but reamping his Rick through the Plexi 100W High model with the gain down sounds pretty similar with a slight crunch, but still chimey. I’d love to hear thoughts though.

For my dad, he’s using my Les Paul Custom on this song, which is what Berton Averre generally used. I originally tried the Mark IIC+ model in the fractal because I know he used that amp. That being said, I know that’s what he used on the SOLO of My Sharona, so I don’t know if he would’ve used a different amp/tone on the rhythms, which do sound on the cleaner chimey side, so I’d love to hear thoughts on this! I don’t know if the Mark IIC+ is the right tool for those style rhythms? Turning the master up and the gain down sounds cool, but if not dialed properly can sound “dry” in some regards if that makes sense. I’m learning about those amps recently and know a lot of heavy tones generally come from that amp, so I don’t know if I’m trying to make (for the purpose of my analogy only regarding if the Mark IIC+ is the right amp for those rhythms) a metal zone into a fender twin, if that makes sense.

I’d love to hear thoughts on this, and any insight if anyone happens to know what they recorded with!

Back
Top Bottom