Which guitar for Tone Match

jsletner

Experienced
I'm hoping that forum members will develop the habit of posting the guitar and pups used when Tone Matching. The guitar I think would be especially important. If I understand the process it will match the reference tone using input from your guitar so if we don't know what guitar was used we won't necesarrily get the same results.

Thoughts?

Yes, the guitar and pickups are important to the tone match. So far matches seem kind of ok with similar guitars but going from single coil to humbucker introduces enough differences that it doesn't sound right anymore. Even two guitars with single coils will sound different and require leveling and some eq (although I'm finding that if I need to change eq, it doesn't work so well and I'm better off matching with the right guitar).

Also, important is what you play on that guitar. If you find that in certain regions of the neck that the match is not that good, you need to take the references in that region.

Using a tone match for one type of guitar on another can be done provided the required adjustments in eq, drive, and master volume changes are small. That's because a lot of controls are cross coupled and nonlinear over their entire range, but practically linear in a narrow band. When two guitars are grossly different, then the tone match doesn't hold together. I found that if I chose a guitar that is truly between a Fender and a Gibson, like a 513, for the sampling guitar, I can get something that's darn near usable for both. It just depends on whether gross adjustments are required to go between them.

One thing that I haven't tried is switching the tonestack to active. According the manual, the active stack is not cross coupled.

Also, important is what you play on that guitar. If you find that in certain regions of the neck that the match is not that good, you need to take the references in that region.

Using a tone match for one type of guitar on another can be done provided the required adjustments in eq, drive, and master volume changes are small. That's because a lot of controls are cross coupled and nonlinear over their entire range, but practically linear in a narrow band. When two guitars are grossly different, then the tone match doesn't hold together. I found that if I chose a guitar that is truly between a Fender and a Gibson, like a 513, for the sampling guitar, I can get something that's darn near usable for both. It just depends on whether gross adjustments are required to go between them.

One thing that I haven't tried is switching the tonestack to active. According the manual, the active stack is not cross coupled.

Interesting point of view. When I'm tone matching something (my amp, for example) I try to play a little bit of everything in order to get a complete "picture" of the way the amp sounds. If you just play low stuff, there's no reference for the high end, and vice versa.

boltrecords said:
Might be easier to just post the preset used and the sound clip that was matched. That way we can just download both and match it to our own guitars.

This is what people should be posting if they want it to work with anyone's gear who downloads the preset

Might be easier to just post the preset used and the sound clip that was matched. That way we can just download both and match it to our own guitars.

Question if someone matches an amplifier will there always be an associated sound clip? I was under the impression that you could just record the amp through a preamp directly into the Axe. Have I got this wrong?

I thought I read that you can play some chords, riffs etc. through your amp while the Axe listens, then play them again direct and it would match from there. Is that correct or am I missing something?

This is what people should be posting if they want it to work with anyone's gear who downloads the preset

Exactly what I was gonna suggest and the only way to achieve similar results. Might be good form to start posting the link to the source file wen possible.

That might be great if you matched it to a clip; but if you used a head through a load box real time, there's no clip. If there was one, it would sound like crap without a cab, and crap draws critics like flies.

The point is that there are different methods of capture which are equally valid. While it would be great to have a patch plus source, it's not always convenient to produce a clip and may not be conducive to repeatability.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom