Where is this so-called "virtual capo" I have heard about?

Lopp

Inspired
I've seen threads talking about the virtual capo and just searched "capo" in the user manual. The user manual search only had two hits that indicated the FM9 has a virtual capo neither explained how to access it or use it.

How do you set the virtual capo?

Ah. Just found it in the pitch block.

EDIT: Since there is only one instance of the pitch block on the FM9, does that mean we cannot use the virtual capo and harmonizing or other pitch shifting at the same time?

Also, why is there massive latency when the virtual capo is activated? Right now, it is unplayable... UPDATE: Odd fix: I was trying to play it with zero shift and there was huge latency, but changing the shift setting to -1 removed the latency and the latency is still okay when set back to zero.

Last edited:

EDIT: Since there is only one instance of the pitch block on the FM9, does that mean we cannot use the virtual capo and harmonizing or other pitch shifting at the same time?

Also, why is there massive latency when the virtual capo is activated? Right now, it is unplayable... UPDATE: Odd fix: I was trying to play it with zero shift and there was huge latency, but changing the shift setting to -1 removed the latency and the latency is still okay when set back to zero.
Correct, there is just one pitch block so either do the virtual capo or harmonize. Can't do both yet, but many of us have our fingers crossed for the future. Tracking adjustments can help with VC latency. I've found with the current firmware that the VC works quite well.

IIRC, the virtual capo is designed as a pitch shift. Setting one shift as -12 cents will create an octave down; multiples of that 2, 3 octaves down respectively. Increasing by +12 cents creates an octave up; again, multiples of 12 produce 2 or 3 octaves up.

You can create harmonized effects within your pitch block (not virtual capo) +5 or +7 cents up, and -12 cents down.

Your pitch shift (correct me if I'm wrong) adjustment can be 2 separate harmonies and a dry signal if the pitch block is set in parallel to the signal path. Just adjust the mix to higher setting and use your ears.

Correct, you can't use VC alone with another pitch block effect. As @Chas said many of us are hoping for another instance of the pitch block (or even a separate VC block).

In the meantime a few of us have put a Digitech Drop pedal or similar on our boards to use as a VC and retaining use of the pitch block for other purposes.

Back
Top Bottom