What's Most Noticable About 10

jesussaddle

Power User
I have to say, there are a lot of people who have serious experience with amps and gear on these forums. But what if you are in the market for one of the newer amp emulating devices, but happen to be a someone with a background lacking in more than one or two tube amps (myself: i had just one power amp - a boogie 295 simul-class with the 6L6/EL34 switchable as both or just one or the other, and an mp1 tube preamp). U want to understand the concept of what the software in this box will do. I know people who have said that they like buying music gear from outfits that extend credit; not possible with the axe II yet to my knowledge. So why go to the trouble of saving or borrowing for yourself to buy this as opposed to something else.

With firmware 10 for me, the answer is finally obvious. Its so easy to get vurtually any sound with this unit now in just a few flicks - but if u don't know what you're doing, like me, that goes from easy to pretty damn hard. I can't walk into my room/studio & nail something exactly without help.

What i can say is, all the "close but no cigar" attempts on this new firmware may not sound exactly as intended, but they sound and feel so good usually that its too fun to let 'em go. Quick, nearly instant adjustments reveal new usable material.

A good IR, a basic patch routing, just go in and change amps & make minor adjustments from there.

Singing tone with raw expressiveness at the string/finger/pick level.

The obvious, obvious difference with this firmware:

Every drive pedal articulates into the tone of an amp in a unique way. That's saying something! Incredible. Awesome. Got Clapton, maybe not? Got hendrix, maybe not? But got somewhere inbetween? Hell yes! In spades! Cliff, thank u so much for opening up this world to me on a budget.

Back
Top Bottom