Whats best for bedroom playing? monitors or Atomic cab/wedge

guitarcarroll

Hi,

I just purchased my Axe Fx Ultra today and i am very excited!! I am now debating whether to get studio monitors or the atomic wedge/cab?
which is best for bedroom playing(low volume to moderate volume)? i live in a townhouse and my neighbors are quite jerkfaces. Is there a difference between the wedge and the cab?

Re: Whats best for bedroom playing? monitors or Atomic cab/w

I have both BM5 monitors and an Atomic cab.

If you want to keep the noise down I recommend with studio monitors. They are meant to be placed in front of you at ear level. Therefore they require less overall volume for you to hear them well. As a plus the monitors can be used for serious recording, mixing, or just listening to music or watching movies.

The cab/wedges will also give more a more realistic amp thump and feel and will be better option if you go out and gig or jam. Of course, putting them on a stand might allow you to run the volume at a more acceptable level.

For studio playing I am running the Yamaha HS80M monitor and I think they sound pretty good. They are average monitors but really, really good for the $$$.

I am going to get a power amp and use my existing guitar cabs when I want to do something different. The real strength of the Axe is its flexibility. The possibilities are endless!

Both are very nice and effective. It is totally depend on you. I am comfortable with Atomic. It is the best for me because I have no faced any problem regarding it. Its very reliable for me. Monitor is also better.

With your neighbor issues id definitely go with a decent pair of monitors..and if your willing to spend the same on monitors as you are an atomic cab/wedge you can get a really great pair for that money!! i use focal cms 65's amazing monitors..expensive in the us, but great deals in europe amazing clarity and bass response!! The adams are also highly recommended by many on here!

I say go with a powered wedge, wether it be Reactor or whatever else you can find in that price range. Even if you don't think you ever will, You'll never gig out with studio monitors. I can get my Verves volume down to where the strings on my guitar are louder when I play it and it still sounds fine.

I have both. M-Audio BX5A monitors and one Atomic powered wedge. Strictly for playing guitar, whether electric or acoustic it's the wedge, hands down. For working with my DAW, mixing, mastering, etc. I usually use the monitors, although they are fairly low end compared to the wedge.

Back
Top Bottom