What poweramp would you use with your Axe Fx Ultra?

Indigo

What poweramps do you guys use? I'm getting an Axe FX Ultra over an Engl preamp.. and still buying an Engl E850. Is this the best death metal/versatile poweramp? i also need a glassy clean / jazz fusion type sound. I'm sure it being a modeling preamp that it will sound phenominal. Another question is. wouldnt using a cab (i use an orange) and poweramp kind of color the tone a lot and defeat the purpose of it being a modeling preamp? thats been on my mind a lot.

Please use the search feature for "poweramp".

This is a common question that has been discussed in detail.

Also, check out the amps and cabs section.

Indigo said:
wouldnt using a cab (i use an orange) and poweramp kind of color the tone a lot and defeat the purpose of it being a modeling preamp? thats been on my mind a lot.

Not if you defeat the cab sims...and if desired...the power amp sims. Desired meaning some people like to keep the power amp sims on even with a tube power amp following the Axe. If you leave them (power amp sims) off it's the same as running a stand alone pre amp into your tube power amp. I do both for differing needs.

I've tried a bunch of power amp scenarios...ended up with a VHT 2/90/2. I don't mind the tube maintenance nor the weight...and I love the aesthetics of it :D

I would use a high quality solid state power amp. Crown, Carvin, QSC all make good ones.

I would not use something like a VHT 2902 unless you are able to really crank it. The 2902 has no advantage over a solid state power amp unless you can crank it. And the 2902 is loud as shit - to get the good stuff out of a 2902 you will be playing very loud. Having said that, if you really want a 2902 I am selling mine :mrgreen:

hippietim said:
The 2902 has no advantage over a solid state power amp unless you can crank it.

Despite having owned and tried Carvin and QSC SS power amps...and having a/b'd them with VHT 2/50/2, 2/90/2 and Peavey 60/60 to near undetectable (to me) tones..sound/tone wise that could be debated. One person may be able to hear things another can't...and prefer one amplification to another.

And NO advantage at all is only personal opinion. It is an advantage to me...I simply like it better despite the weight, tube maintenance etc. It has an aesthetic value that can't be won over by SS. If I choose to keep playing the SS amps and there is this nagging thing in my head telling me I like the tube power amp better...doesn't matter why...but I keep away from it any way...I'm going to always be unhappy. That can't be an advantage. Keep in mind...I'm perfectly aware that I can duplicate the tube tones with SS.

hippietim said:
to get the good stuff out of a 2902 you will be playing very loud.

Thats also opinion. If you don't prefer power amp distortion you would likely be thrilled with the VHT.

As well, I'm pretty sure it's well established that the VHT's (both 2/50/2 & 2/90/2) are known for quality tone at pretty much any volume.

-<MACHINE>- said:
hippietim said:
The 2902 has no advantage over a solid state power amp unless you can crank it.

Despite having owned and tried Carvin and QSC SS power amps...and having a/b'd them with VHT 2/50/2, 2/90/2 and Peavey 60/60 to near undetectable (to me) tones..sound/tone wise that could be debated. One person may be able to hear things another can't...and prefer one amplification to another.

And NO advantage at all is only personal opinion. It is an advantage to me...I simply like it better despite the weight, tube maintenance etc. It has an aesthetic value that can't be won over by SS. If I choose to keep playing the SS amps and there is this nagging thing in my head telling me I like the tube power amp better...doesn't matter why...but I keep away from it any way...I'm going to always be unhappy. That can't be an advantage. Keep in mind...I'm perfectly aware that I can duplicate the tube tones with SS.

hippietim said:
to get the good stuff out of a 2902 you will be playing very loud.

Thats also opinion. If you don't prefer power amp distortion you would likely be thrilled with the VHT.

As well, I'm pretty sure it's well established that the VHT's (both 2/50/2 & 2/90/2) are known for quality tone at pretty much any volume.

Of course what I said was an opinion. That much is pretty obvious.

If you are happy with the 2902 for any reason you choose then right on! If I was still running a power amp and guitar cab rig I'd probably still be using my 2902 as well just because I already have it.

But there is no way I'd recommend to anyone that it is a particularly smart purchase when there are more affordable and lighter options that will produce results that are just as good. I have used the Axe-FX with a lot of different power amps: Boogie 2:90, QSC GX, VHT 2902, VHT 2502, and a Crown XTi. Based on my experience, the only time the tube power amps made a substantial difference was with power amp sims disabled on the Axe-FX and the tube amps cranking. At reasonable volumes with power amp sims enabled on the Axe-FX I found that the only thing the tube amps added was weight.

I used a 2502 for years as my main power amp for my rack rigs with tube power amps and whlie it sounded OK at low volumes it really came to life at band volumes - pretty much like any other tube amp I've ever used. My main power amp with the Axe-FX the first time around was the Boogie 2:90 but I ran it at half power - that sounded great.

hippietim said:
Of course what I said was an opinion. That much is pretty obvious.
Not pickin' a fight, but from...
hippietim said:
The 2902 has no advantage over...
...on...it came across to me as stated fact. No worries, I was just trying to help keep a balance...such strong statements in either direction can sometimes set things awry.

hippietim said:
My main power amp with the Axe-FX the first time around was the Boogie 2:90 but I ran it at half power - that sounded great.
This is something I forgot to mention in my 1st post (this thread) about the 2/90/2 (not to you as you already have one :) )...the high/low power switch. While it doesn't necessarily reduce volume, it will give more of that "chewy...?" tone...especially if you run the poweramp sims off. This is a killer option that I find very tasty for some things. Most things actually.

One other thing...if you find you (anyone) are struggling with tweaking FOREVER and not playing as much as you want...like I am :lol: ...this is one way I've found to combat it: Using just the preamp sims with the 2/90/2 (or any good tube poweramp) following...you remove the advanced parameters (obviously) ...and for me this has reduced/mostly eliminated the tweaking. The tone is there in an instant for me. And of course if you like tweaking and/or you need that extra flexibility then this wouldn't be advantageous.

Those of you using power amps and guitar cabs, don't you find that your tone out front is drastically different to what you hear when you're standing in front of it facing the audience? That's been my experience, anyhow. I'm using a V30 2x12 half-open back cab supported on an oversized dummy cab. This setup is noticeably more 'directional' than running an amp top into the same cab -- in the sense that the tone of my head is more consistent in relation to where I'm standing on stage than the AFX is.

Stringtheorist said:
Those of you using power amps and guitar cabs, don't you find that your tone out front is drastically different to what you hear when you're standing in front of it facing the audience? That's been my experience, anyhow. I'm using a V30 2x12 half-open back cab supported on an oversized dummy cab. This setup is noticeably more 'directional' than running an amp top into the same cab -- in the sense that the tone of my head is more consistent in relation to where I'm standing on stage than the AFX is.

I never had that problem. I don't see how the Axe-FX could make your speakers more directional.

hippietim said:
Stringtheorist said:

I never had that problem. I don't see how the Axe-FX could make your speakers more directional.
So what speakers are you using, how do you set them up and where do you stand in relation to your cab? Do you EQ for the tone out in front of the speaker cab or off to the side?

Stringtheorist said:
hippietim said:
Stringtheorist said:

So what speakers are you using, how do you set them up and where do you stand in relation to your cab? Do you EQ for the tone out in front of the speaker cab or off to the side?

I'd have to say I've never thought that hard about it :lol:

I've used a number of different speaker types and cabs - V30s, Greenbacks, Golds, 2x12, 1x12, 4x12, etc.

hippietim said:
I'd have to say I've never thought that hard about it :lol:

I've used a number of different speaker types and cabs - V30s, Greenbacks, Golds, 2x12, 1x12, 4x12, etc.

OK.. you must have magic speakers. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom