What is your first “tweak” to an amp before using

sparkle

Inspired
A few of mine as of late have been…

An EQ boost on EQ input page peaking@1000hz a Q of .561 and 2 db gain

I have been pulling down the master volume trim…to taste…

Dialing in more mids, treble, and presence higher than “I think” it should be…

Hearing different pre and power tubes…

I spend a lot of time choosing a cab IR that I like. Generally with amp controls at 12:00. Then I make any minor adjustments that I want after that.

Alternatively if I'm mimicking an amp I have IRL, I start with the same IR, then set the controls similar to the real amp, then A/B until I get it as close as I want (or can). The FM9 plus a KHE amp/cab selector is perfect for this.

A HPF and a LPF. Set as non-invasively as possible but yielding the best possible tone (to my ears) for a given preset. Usually set in the cab or EQ block rather than the amp though, so I am not sure that answers your question as well as it could.

Last edited:
I never change anything without listening first. Then I end up changing Basic controls and output EQ, usually that’s it.
^This^

I often snoop through the factory or @Burgs' presets for amp settings as a starting, then adjust a bit for my taste, but even when inserting the block fresh and selecting an amp I find it's often close to what I want. The knobs are meant to be turned and adjusted, just like I'd do when standing in front of my tube amps.

I spend a lot of time choosing a cab IR that I like. Generally with amp controls at 12:00. Then I make any minor adjustments that I want after that.

Alternatively if I'm mimicking an amp I have IRL, I start with the same IR, then set the controls similar to the real amp, then A/B until I get it as close as I want (or can). The FM9 plus a KHE amp/cab selector is perfect for this.
I got past this by finding a good IR of a speaker cab that I would use with a real amp (in my case a 4x12 Marshall with greenbacks). I use the same IR with all my presets. This approach may not work for all, but I have found it greatly minimizes the time needed to create my presets. It also keeps the changes from becoming too jarring when switching between clean and dirty sounds.

^This^

I often snoop through the factory or @Burgs' presets for amp settings as a starting, then adjust a bit for my taste, but even when inserting the block fresh and selecting an amp I find it's often close to what I want. The knobs are meant to be turned and adjusted, just like I'd do when standing in front of my tube amps.
That is why I asked… I downloaded a preset that had massive changes all over…
Like preamp sag off, and the master volume trim reduced… etc

I got past this by finding a good IR of a speaker cab that I would use with a real amp (in my case a 4x12 Marshall with greenbacks). I use the same IR with all my presets. This approach may not work for all, but I have found it greatly minimizes the time needed to create my presets. It also keeps the changes from becoming too jarring when switching between clean and dirty sounds.
I use this to a degree, but I play across a wide range of styles. I love greenies with many amps, but not with Recto, for example.

before cygnus x-3 i usually bumped output compression up. i'm doing that less now and mostly just basic eq and gain adjustments.

First thing I do is change the SIC to match the cab I’m using. The n I adjust the Speaker Thump parameter to the “ideal” value based on the amp and speaker. Rest is all down to listening and tweaking.

"Level" to adjust overall output to tickle red on the levelling meter, then, maybe (in usual order I do them):
  • Set sic to match cab block.
  • Gain / Master.
  • Tone stack controls.
  • Pesence Depth.
  • EQ Page Controls.
  • Set up a boost option.
  • Sometimes input dynamics and/or output compressor.
  • Sometimes input trim or input EQ if trying to take an amp or guitar outside of standard character.
I don't futz with advanced parms much.

The first things I do is turn down the High Cut in the Cab Block. set the Input Trim between 1.027 and 1.084, and lower the Bright Cap, except for Marshalls. I don't touch the Bright Cap on them. These things are a result of me playing through phones, don't know if I would do them if I had the ability to play loud.

Gain level first. Then sweep each the bass, middle, treble, and presence to hear where things start kicking in. That usually takes a minute or so and then I'll move on to fine tuning the cab/mic(s).

Reactions: Rex
Most often I dial back the gain and reduce the mix on delay and reverb to taste.

In reality, the Fractal amps are amazing out of the box. I’ve not found this in any product offered.

First thing is to load my preferred cabs. Without them I don't like most of the amps somehow, but with my favorite IRs pretty much every amp sounds nice, and some sound glorious!

I generally try my best to leave existing presets as they are, because as mentioned, I also tend to use them as references (or recipes if you will) on how to get various sounds out of the device. As of now anyway, this methodology gives me a better idea not only on what the oodles of controls actually do, but also how the different variables affect each other in the context of the resulting tone I'm hearing. If I adjust anything, it's not until I've looked around a bit and tested the stock settings, and I usually only touch either the amount of gain or the time-based effect mix (if there're any active.)

Edit: If I want to change a bunch of parameters, I'll copy the preset to a blank slot first.

First thing is to load my preferred cabs. Without them I don't like most of the amps somehow, but with my favorite IRs pretty much every amp sounds nice, and some sound glorious!

I make copies of my presets and change the amp and rename. So there’s my favorite IRs. The IR is more important than the amp in my opinion. Otherwise I don’t touch anything until I hear it. Unless you reset the amp block, a lot of your old settings will still be there. Like the speaker curve etc. Do you start with a clean amp block? I do sometimes but in the end either way will end up sounding the same cause I always adjust the same parameters.

I make copies of my presets and change the amp and rename
Yes, I do this too - as soon as I'm happy with effects and overall chain elements, I copy the preset and experiment with different amps. Most of my presets are pretty much one template.

The IR is more important than the amp in my opinion.
My thoughts exactly. I start with cabs and finish with cabs. I load favorite cabs, tweak the amp, might change one of the cabs to better suit the overall sound and fix stuff which I can't dials out by amp eq.

Do you start with a clean amp block? I do sometimes but in the end either way will end up sounding the same cause I always adjust the same parameters.
Well, same here. I know exactly what sound I'm looking for all these years, so whatever amp is loaded (typically cleans to eob amps are used), I adjust same things like Definition, etc., and then compare if this amp gets me closer to my goal. After 8.0 I ended up on D60 Less instead of long time favorite Shiva - a little compression and this amp plays legato like Steve F. invented the legato himself after playing this amp!

Also, every day I load a random factory preset or preset from Burgs and play it without changing anything. This is my reality check. Helps a lot!

Back
Top Bottom