"What Fresh Hell" - Dark, brooding, moody instrumental

Heya! Nice soundscape you got going on here!

What I like:

+ the guitar tone (d0h, it's a Fractal ;) )
+ your feedback is awesome, seriously awesome!
+ the atmosphere
+ the mix

What could be improved perhaps (well at least in my opinion)

- there's no real structure. Although this should not be a piece with chorus, verse, bridge etc, it could definitely use some more structure and build-up
- although the drum sounds pretty good, I think the snappyness of the snare (compression I guess) and toms is not suitable for this piece
- although I like the distored bass (or is it?) it can use some more low end for sure!

Fusion said:
Heya! Nice soundscape you got going on here!
Thanks for listening, man. And thanks for all your feedback :)
your feedback is awesome, seriously awesome!
I love my feedback :cool: That's the Sustainiac Stealth Pro in my Agile.
+ the atmosphere
Yeah, atmospheric stuff is kinda my main area. And soundtracks (I've done a few small projects).
+ the mix
Ah cool. Well that's good to hear. Mixing is always a challenge.
What could be improved perhaps (well at least in my opinion)
there's no real structure.
Yeah, it's more of a free-form jam, based around a simple motif. I like it like that for this one though. I've done plenty of others that have more "structure".
could definitely use some more structure and build-up
For this one I thought the percussion served the building/evolving purpose, but valid point.
although the drum sounds pretty good, I think the snappyness of the snare (compression I guess) and toms is not suitable for this piece
I used Steven Slate Drums, with minimal processing afterwards. The snare wasn't individually processed. As for the toms...hmm, guess that's personal preference or taste. All the sounds were from one kit only, so they should be pretty well matched I would've thought :? Sounded OK to my ears.
although I like the distored bass (or is it?) it can use some more low end for sure!
It was actually my Agile though a clean guitar patch. I always try to err on the side of caution with bass, ie, better a little too little than too much. My Genelec 1030A monitor speakers are great, but not terribly big, so I'm wary of their ability to render the really low frequencies.

I really enjoy this stuff, sounds awesome.
Yes, I'll have to get one of those sustainiac's, it adds a different dimension than just using an ebow!

Back
Top Bottom