What do you use for a backup for a gig

golfnut

Gonna have my newly acquired FM9 gig ready for a gig I have on the 17th. One big benefit for me is that I don't have to load my tube amps in the car anymore. After spending a lot of time with the FM9 through a Fender FR12 I am more than confident this is going to be a great live rig.
When I used to haul my amps (fargen head and large 2X12 cab) I used to throw my small Mesa Fillmore 50 combo in the car for a backup incase.
So in the short term I'm going to go to gigs with out a backup.
Just wondering what everyone does for their backup. Personally I'm hoping the FM9 is rock solid stable but you never know. I've been considering another digital unit for a backup. Maybe a Helix Floor or more leaning towards a Kemper stage. I'd like something much different than what I have as it gives me other options.

I use my AxeFXIII as primary and an FM3 as my backup. Our bassist also uses an AxeFXIII and he has an FM9 s a backup.

Depends on the gig. More serious gigs get more serious backups.
Also depends on if it's a shared backline gig or not.

I've come to dislike using guitar cabs live now that I've gotten used to FRFR.
A good FRFR disperses so much better on stage, and me hearing me means I'll lock in with the rest of the band better.

Yes you think that an FM3 would be the logical backup but I don't really like gear around in the event its needed simply as a backup. I like to use what gear I have. So was thinking of something like a Kemper, which is a completely different piece of gear expanding what I have.
I like the idea of a Strymon iridium though as its a very inexpensive option. Wouldn't mind so much being around and mostly not used since I wouldn't have a lot invested.

Depends on the gig. More serious gigs get more serious backups.
Also depends on if it's a shared backline gig or not.

I've come to dislike using guitar cabs live now that I've gotten used to FRFR.
A good FRFR disperses so much better on stage, and me hearing me means I'll lock in with the rest of the band better.

My gigs aren't what I would call professionally serious but serious in the way I sure wouldn't want to be at a gig with defective gear and nothing for backup.
What do you use for on stage monitor for your guitar? Through wedges on stage, in ear? I've tried to sell the idea of in ears and had a decent set my self for a while but the rest of the band won't buy in.

My FM9 kinda' sorta' is my backup.

I use it 4CM with my JP2C to for effects and MIDI control. If something happens to the amp or we're playing a place where stage volume is minimal, I've functionally "duplicated" that within the FM9. Same head and cab, close enough settings. Monitoring, I use the Cab Clone, but have an extra output configured for monitoring on my FM9-only settings to sub that out.

I'm going through the same evaluation. I used to have two AxeFX II rigs and only had to light the backup one time in all the years I had them. I moved to an FM9 and the thought of buying a second one to gather dust kills me. At the same time, I am working through how to integrate MIDI in my setup so that I can access synth, strings, horns, etc. I started trying out MIDI Guitar 2 this week and at the same time loaded up Positive Grid's Bias FX app on my phone. It is definitely much better than I expected.

Now, I'm not a touring pro. I just play in a local dance band, so I'm okay with taking a quality hit should I need a backup. I think I can live with running something off a computer, tablet or phone, and you get many amps and effects to choose from.

I haven't begun to canvas the market yet so there are probably better options than Bias, and if I go full laptop instead of an iOS device, I'm sure that opens even more possibilities.

I use EV PXM12mp monitors. Small gigs, one is enough, medium sized or larger gigs two is nice.
My band isn't ready for in ears either.

The FM9T is my goto, and I have an FM3 but it's on long term loan to a friend. The FM9 has never failed me, no fractal product ever has, but a backup is still smart.

I have a ToneX as a backup for the FM9. It's not 1/4th as powerful but it does gate, amp, cab, reverb and tuner and has three channels - clean, dirty and lead is how I have it setup. I could gig with it no problem.

For gigs where we are guitar cabinet backline, I bring my Amp1 b/c again, it's enough in one box - pre and power amp, gate, two channels plus boost and reverb.

With my tube-based rig (100w half stack, 4cm with Axe-FX III), the Axe is my backup.

When I gig with my FM9, it'll be an FM3 or Helix as my backup.

Exactly w
Yes you think that an FM3 would be the logical backup but I don't really like gear around in the event its needed simply as a backup. I like to use what gear I have. So was thinking of something like a Kemper, which is a completely different piece of gear expanding what I have.
I like the idea of a Strymon iridium though as it’s a very inexpensive option. Wouldn't mind so much being around and mostly not used since I wouldn't have a lot invested.
Exactly why I chose it. It’s setup and ready to go with my IR’s, but it essentially never leaves the bag. Got it cheap used. It’s a barebones backup of course. I don’t run much effects wise, but the iridium has zero. But it would get me through in a pinch.

I'm probably ridiculous but I carry two SD powerstages, an Axe FX III and the FM9. I play through two 1x12 regular guitar cabinets for stage volume and send direct to the FOH. This way if any one component fails I have a backup. The axe is usually my primary but if we are on a small stage I will sometimes just use the fm9 with a powerstage and single cabinet. My presets transfer back and forth pretty easily between units so when I change a production patch I update the FM9 with the changes. The biggest issue is the firmware's don't match so each device requires slightly different tweaks.

My thoughts are that a backup will rarely, if ever need to get used, so I would look at something that is light-weight, portable and relatively inexpensive.

The Strymon Iridium,ToneX One or ToneX meet this criteria (I’m sure there are others that do as well). Although none of these pedals offer much in the way of effects (beyond reverb), I could certainly get through a gig with any of them in a pinch.

If you are a pro touring musician, then I would suggest redundancy and the backup would be identical to the main rig.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom