Warming up the blackface

golfnut

I've been working on a blackface preset the last couple nights using the Double verb normal with the 2X12 B0face B-man 67 A AB cab. I keep going back and forth comparing what I have to the black face (blackbird) channel on my Fargen DBC50. I'm amazed at how close the FM9 is nailing it. About the only criticism is that on the Fargen its noticeably warmer. I guess this could be comparing real tubes to a modeler but I can't help feeling I could get it closer.
It could be the differences of the real amp from what a blackface circuit is. The power tubes are EL34, the speaker cabinet loaded with 2x12 Heritage Celestion G12-65 speakers.
I'm using the FR12 cabinet with the FM9. I've played around with eq but I go from "blanket over the speaker" to to bright. I feel I have the eq set as best I can. The blackface tone I have on the FM9 is a tad brittle. But only noticeable if I turn on the real tube amp and compare side by side. Now that I think about the tone on the FM9 is probably closer to what I'd get on a 65 twin reissue. However if I could get it to just warm up a bit I think I could get much closer to what the real tube amp sounds.
So just wondering is there another 2X12 speaker I could use. Some other tips to warm it up with out making it too dull?
And one observation I've made, I have always heard other describe modelers of not the feel of a tube amp. For the most part I'm finding that I am getting that feel, not completely but much better than I expected.

Try the Deluxe Verb Normal model for a warmer tone. Could also experiment with different IRs. They make the biggest difference in tone of basically anything in the unit.

A IR that is captured further from the center of the speaker is a good way of warming up a sound.

Another is using output eq in the amp block. This gives you the ability to fine tune more than the bass middle and treble controls. Adding a touch of 500k for instance could warm up the tone. You could also try reducing some 2k or 4k.

Another option is reducing the High treble control found under the ideal page of the amp block. I have to go back and forth between the treble and high treble to find a good balance between dull and clear.

A IR that is captured further from the center of the speaker is a good way of warming up a sound.
That makes sense. Most tube amps I've owned I've preferred the off axis sound. Unfortunately in "tube amp world" this is what contributes to being too loud.

You can also throw a parametric EQ with a narrow Q and boost 3-5Db. Sweep it between 300-600Hz and stop the sweep where it's the warmest. I can susually culpt the tone that way pretty easily. If you put a drive in parallel, you can also find sweet spots (1.1K, 800Hz, etc) depending on your particular setup.

FM9 into the effects return of the Fargen DBC50.

Yes that would defeat the whole purpose of why I bought the FM9 in the first place. Its gonna be awesome to take just the FM9 and an FR12 as opposed to the big heavy Fargen head, the 2X12 cabinet (thats near the size of a 4X12 though not as heavy) and my big pedalboard.

Well the solution seemed to be switched to dyna cab and experiment with the mic distance. Magnificent.
Was going to suggest checking out the dyna cabs and messing with the mic placement. Also the ribbon mic gives the warmest tone. I love the ribbon mic at a position of about 6 on either the deluxe reverb 1x12 or the G12 1x12. I find the DR cab to be a bit more scooped and the G12 has a nice midrange which could help the “warmness”.

Both sound fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom