Wanted - How to Get King Crimson Construkction of Light Clean Tone

Presence7682

Experienced
Hello
I'm not very good at tone shaping, I'm thinking it's probably simple - maybe Roland JC 120, compressor or two? Anyways - I've googled, and can't find amp, pedal settings for this. Can anyone help?
(guitar tone comes in at about 38 seconds):

Recently I've gone down rabbit holes trying to find the exact equipment and reproducing and often come up with better approximations with other gear. Don't know if it helps at all, but I'd be inclined to use RipX or equivalent to separate the parts for analysis and possible tone match. Do you already play the parts involved? On first impression I imagine that the sound is as much from the way it's played as the equipment used. Belew's equipment demo from VHS is probably on the tubes these days. My two cents. I'll be interested to hear what others add.

I think a compressor in front of a JC120 with some chorus will get you there. Needs heavy compression. My memory is vague but I think he had moved on from JC120s by this point but was probably still dialing the same sound. A Strat is recommended.

Sounds like a single coil neck pickup. Compressor pedal in front of the amp, studio compressor after the amp.
Be on guard against warm IRs. That tone is very broad and bright. I might try a PEQ instead of a cab block. Do you know how to use one?

Sounds like a single coil neck pickup. Compressor pedal in front of the amp, studio compressor after the amp.
Be on guard against warm IRs. That tone is very broad and bright. I might try a PEQ instead of a cab block. Do you know how to use one?
I don't know how to use a PEQ, but I can search for instruction. Thank you! I figured there's probably compression before and after the amp, I appreciate your insight!

Funny you said this, I just found I DONT know what a PEQ block does in a chain.!! I am loosing my hearing at High Fqz so EQ and such is great at keeping what I have left!!

Have you tried just asking Robert Fripp? He and Toyah have a weekly YouTube program, “Toyah and Robert’s Sunday Lunch”. If I really wanted to know how Robert obtained his sounds I would go to his video comment area this Sunday and ask him. You never know, he might respond. If he doesn’t nothing lost. Their YouTube videos are very entertaining for a number of reasons. 😉

Have you tried just asking Robert Fripp? He and Toyah have a weekly YouTube program, “Toyah and Robert’s Sunday Lunch”. If I really wanted to know how Robert obtained his sounds I would go to his video comment area this Sunday and ask him. You never know, he might respond. If he doesn’t nothing lost. Their YouTube videos are very entertaining for a number of reasons. 😉
I can think of two reasons (music is neither) I watch the Sunday Lunch videos...

Anyways - that's a good thought - I do wonder if Adrian Belew was more the reason for the tone, but it's definitely the both of them. Regardless, Matt's advice got me pretty close. If requested - I'd post the preset, it's just I'm not really good with this stuff so I am not putting it up there as I'm sure someone else could do better...

Back
Top Bottom