Wah and volume boost

msz10

hello what's the best way to get a volume boost with your wah? Increasing the level doesn't seem to make difference

Level will do it, but you may be getting compression into the amp block (assuming the Wah is before the amp). You could possibly have the Wah also trigger a separate boost in another block.

Last edited:
When I did the initial setup and calibrated my foot pedal I placed it in the expression jack on the unit. Does this make a difference to its function as opposed to inserting the jack into Pedal 1 on the unit? I ask since the pedal defaults to a Volume pedal globally. I didn't do anything to select this it's just what happened after the basic calibration. I want to only use volume ocassionally but as of now when I use the Wah block the wah works great but the volume swell still happens. How do I remove volume as the default or from any global setting it has?

When I did the initial setup and calibrated my foot pedal I placed it in the expression jack on the unit. Does this make a difference to its function as opposed to inserting the jack into Pedal 1 on the unit? I ask since the pedal defaults to a Volume pedal globally. I didn't do anything to select this it's just what happened after the basic calibration. I want to only use volume ocassionally but as of now when I use the Wah block the wah works great but the volume swell still happens. How do I remove volume as the default or from any global setting it has?

See the "Global Expression Setup" section on pg.11 in the 'FM9 Owners Manual'. It will show you how to set up your expression pedal globally to be used for Wah in the factory presets. You can also refer to the other section on that page entitled "Global Volume Setup" for instructions you can reverse in the event that your expression pedal is already set up globally for volume.

See the "Global Expression Setup" section on pg.11 in the 'FM9 Owners Manual'. It will show you how to set up your expression pedal globally to be used for Wah in the factory presets. You can also refer to the other section on that page entitled "Global Volume Setup" for instructions you can reverse in the event that your expression pedal is already set up globally for volume.
Much appreciated. I don't mind feeling like that idiot who asks the really stupid question and not seeing the obvious in the instructions! lol

Level will do it, but you may be getting compression into the amp block (assuming the Wah is before the amp). You could possibly have the Wah also trigger a separate boost in another block.
I have the same issue. I've tried every auto engage setting and duplicated exact settings ofr some other owners settings and yet my wah doesn't trigger til almost 50% of the way down for the pedal. If I press down slowly I literally have zero sound until about the 70% way down. With everything working as well as i can make it I have half a wah pedal range. The first half of the range does zero, no sound. Are you saying put a boost after the wah or before it to offset this problem?

^^^
As mentioned above - calibrating the pedal and what kind of pedal are you using? Are you using a TRS cable?

did u calibrate the pedal?
Yeah and use it for volume and wah successfully, well, not so successfully with wah. definitely TRS used between EV-1 pedal and the FM-9, plugged into the Expression jack. My guitar chord is just a standard tip with a single black ring, not two. And the out of the pedal into Input 1 on the FM-9 is single blaxck ring tip as well, not TRS. I only saw the requirement of TRS for the pedal itself when connecting to the FM-9.

I have that cable as TRS between the pedal and fm-9. But there are two other jacks on the unit fro guitar in and out. These are standard cables I use. You're saying that the guitar cable in and out must be trs?

I have that cable as TRS between the pedal and fm-9. But there are two other jacks on the unit fro guitar in and out. These are standard cables I use. You're saying that the guitar cable in and out must be trs?
Just the cable to the pedal needs to be TRS, but it needs to be TRS-TRS, not TRS-TS.

What is different in the volume setup that works vs. the Wah setup that doesn't work? I suspect auto-engage. What are your settings exactly?

Guitar goes into input 1. Regular cable.

Pedal goes into pedal 1, 2, or 3. TRS-TRS cable.

Been watching this series for a couple days and hadn't seen that one yet. Great help. Interesting thing was I just decided to start a new preset from scratch. Then added the wah and set it the exact same as in a previous preset (factory) and it works perfect. I can't see what I did different in the other preset. I just added a wah and copied settings from other players and it worked like crap So I assumed it was something I was doing wrong. Now when starting from scratch building my own presets it works like a dream. I really do appreciate your and other's input as it helped me focus and try different things. I can finally say this FM9 is ridiculously cool. Wish this was around when I was playing lots yrs ago! Insane all these capabilities and off the chart sounds are available in a pedal board! If you don't mind me asking what are your fav tones/presets? Any recommendations for diving deeper into the fractal universe?

If you don't mind me asking what are your fav tones/presets? Any recommendations for diving deeper into the fractal universe?
Glad you got it figured out.

My go-to amps are the Friedman HBE, C45, Marshall 1970, and the Fender Band Commander.

Just watch lots of videos. If you want a deep dive check out Cooper Carter’s course.

Yeah and use it for volume and wah successfully, well, not so successfully with wah. definitely TRS used between EV-1 pedal and the FM-9, plugged into the Expression jack. My guitar chord is just a standard tip with a single black ring, not two. And the out of the pedal into Input 1 on the FM-9 is single blaxck ring tip as well, not TRS. I only saw the requirement of TRS for the pedal itself when connecting to the FM-9.
You are using the analog volume pedal function of the EV1 and the expression function at the same time. This means it is always a volume pedal in addition to the wah.

Plug the guitar straight into the FM and only use the expression jack of the EV.

You are using the analog volume pedal function of the EV1 and the expression function at the same time. This means it is always a volume pedal in addition to the wah.

Plug the guitar straight into the FM and only use the expression jack of the EV.
interesting never would have thought of that. I do have it working yet gonna try this and see if it allows more control and more options for pedal use.

I tried setting up the filter but as move the wah pedal the filter block turns on and off

Back
Top Bottom