Vox Satchurator

bshawkes

Being new to my FM9, I'm still climbing the learning curve which has been a lot of fun. I'm trying to replicate the Vox satchurator pedal and not have much luck. Has anyone been able to come close to this pedal on the Fm9 ?? any help would be great !!

It is pretty much a DS-1 clone, IIRC. There are two different versions in the Drive Block.

I've never been able to make that circuit in any of its versions work for me, but that's where I would start if I wanted to try.

I got one of those as a Christmas gift. I was a big Satriani fan at the time (still am, just not as into guitar instrumental music as I used to be). I wanted to love that pedal, but I could never manage to get it to sound good for my playing style. As dented42ford said, I think it is based on the Boss DS-1, so that is where I would start. I'm not sure how to model the more mode. To my ear, it adds a bit more gain and somehow brings out more upper frequency harmonics.

Thanks for the info. The only thing I just can't seem to get is the MORE switch. According to Satriani's web site this is what the more does,
"This switch was a request of Joe for the Satchurator and adds a huge amount of tonal flexibility to this pedal that most traditional distortion pedals do not have, and essentially makes this a two-in-one pedal. At high gain settings, More provides a subtle boost in gain and midrange that is just enough to push your leads to the top of the mix, without adding unwanted distortion, clipping or noise. At lower-to moderate gain settings, the More switch will boost the gain significantly, allowing for dual-sound setups. Try setting the gain control at 2 o’clock and using the More switch to boost your tone to the equivalent of the pedal’s “10” gain setting. That’s two totally different and dynamic sounds in one pedal! " . I think I might just have to another drive block for the boost and EQ effect.

Wonder if you could put another on channel be and go into the eq section and make your adjustments and switch between scenes? I’ve got the ice 9 so I understand how they work, just never thought of trying to duplicate in the fm9

I had this pedal. Satch himself states that the Satchurator is based on his japenese DS-1. He uses it to add gain to an already distorted amp. And the More is a boost. So if you want to be able to recreate the Satchurator it will need a boost pedal in front of a ds-1. Put that in front of a Satch amp, add some talent and of you go 😀

There used to be a Keeley Mod DS-1 for Satch. He was a known user of Keeley's DS-1 flavor.
The tweak he asked Robert for was to get him just a hair more sustain among other things.
I think the Satch pedal was even more likely to be based on that mod, as it came right after.

I have this pedal in a box in the garage... used it a few times and then fell off the board... replaced probably by the OCD.
I just couldn't gel with it.

Back
Top Bottom