Volume Pan - Auto swell; curve reversal?

nagarland

Hi all,

I'm trying to use my newly acquired FM3 to synthesize an upright bass tone. But I need help taming the sustain (without palm muting).

Running a fretless fender P bass through the FM3 and playing pizz near the neck the tone isn't all that far off from what an acoustic upright bass sounds like. But the maintained sustain of the sounds always leaves the tone sounding somewhat unnatural. I'm desperately looking for a way to filter/volume control the output so that the initial attack is preserved and the decay/sustain/release are clamped down on pretty severely - mimicking the type of tone generated by an acoustic upright bass. I've tried to dial this in using the Controllers ADSR filter and the available compressors, but I just cant get the sound to feel overly convincing.

The volume pan block has a setting sub-type called 'auto-swell' which essentially does exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for at the very end of my chain. Would it be possible to reverse the volume curve that this block produces? Any chance anyone has any greater experience than I chasing an upright sound and care to share their secrets?

Many thanks in advance for any insight you can share

Have you tried assigning the Envelope Follower or ADSR to control the Volume control of the Volume block?

The auto swell is just an implementation of that, I believe. This way you can adjust the modifier to operate how you want.

Back
Top Bottom